Modartt has announced the release of the Steelpans for Pianoteq, a new add-on which includes 4 instruments offering a superb playability: Steel Drum, Spacedrum, Hand Pan and Tank Drum.
The Pianoteq physical model has been enriched to produce the characteristic timbre of steelpans, with their “blooming” overtones that arise from the mechanical properties of thin steel sheets. Two unique parameters, blooming energy and blooming inertia, are especially interesting for adjusting the steelpans sound. Thanks to the physical model, the Steelpans add-on offers an exceptional playability and versatility.
Steelpans add-on for Pianoteq 4: Each instrument is provided with one preset faithful to the original instrument modelled and several variants.
Steelpans add-on features
- Steel drums have their origins in Trinidad and are intimately connected with calypso music. The steel drum offered is a combination of the known types the “double second”, the “tenor”, the “double guitar”, and the “triple cello”. Its range covers 4 octaves.
- The Spacedrum is a recent variant of the Hand Pan, and the first to be made available in a thirteen note chromatic model, opening new horizons to the musicians. The Spacedrum and Hand Pan instruments offer presets for both hand playing and mallet playing. They are extended to 4 octaves. One of the Spacedrum creators, Marc Guilliou from Metal Sounds, participated in the testing of the Pianoteq add-on version to make sure it is as authentic as possible.
- The Tank drum is made of thicker metal from a gas tank. In Pianoteq, the range is extended to 3½ octaves.
The add-on is available to purchase for 49 EUR. Requires a licence of Pianoteq 4 (Standard, PRO or Stage).
More information: Pianoteq / Steelpans add-on
Ongelegen has released Metal Scratch, a free sample library featuring binaural recordings of metal scratches.
This fourth library of The Binaural Collection consists of metal scratches. The recipe for this pack was simple: a metal housing from a deceased tape deck and a few sharp and blunt objects to ruin the surface of the housing.
I tried to capture all the nuances of the sounds and make the sounds as big as possible without any additional processing so I close mic’ed them with the front perspective of my dummy head.
Binaural sounds made by scratching up the housing of an old tape cassette deck.
Metal Scratch features
- 126 metal scratches, recorded and edited at 24 Bit/96 kHz WAV.
- Embedded metadata (BWF MetaEdit).
- Recorded with Fostex FR2 – DIY Dummy Head (EM158).
- 128 MB content (unpacked).
The sample pack is available to download at no cost.
More information: Ongelegen / Metal Scratch
QESounds has announced it has released the remainder of the QES Metals RAW series of sound libraries for Native Instruments Kontakt.
The QES Metals RAW series is intended to be used as source material for those doing sound design as well as turnkey acoustic SFX for inclusion in Film/Video/Gaming soundtracks.
- QES Metals RAW2 – Metals on Dry Ice and Miscellaneous
- QES Metals RAW3 – H2OPhone
- QES Metals RAW4 – Galvanized
- QES Metals RAW5 – Scrapes
- QES Metals RAW6 – Galvanized Extended
The one-shot sounds can be used as is for SFX, processed by your favorite Fx/mangling chain or the .wavs can be imported into your favorite re-synthesis, spectral synthesis, convolution, or granulation engine. The format is 24 bit, 44.1KHz, Stereo, .wav samples.
QES Metals RAW includes Version 3 scripting – including: Convolution (110+ IRs) – Global Stereo Image Control, Global EQ, XFade Mode, Layers Mode, Four Modes of Envelope Assignment/Control, and Stereo Image Control for individual sounds.
The QES Metals RAW series of sound libraries for Kontakt 4 and 5 are available to purchase for $33.33 USD each. QES Metals 1-6 and QES Metals Lite are available in a special priced bundle (on DVD or DLV) on the QESounds bundle page.
More information: QESounds / QES Metals
QESounds has announced the release of QES Metals RAW1, their latest Kontakt 4/5 compatible library of sounds for soundtrack design.
QES Metals RAW1 continues QESounds’ commitment to “Unique Sound Sample Libraries for Soundtrack design”. QES Metals RAW1 is the first installment in the QES Metals RAW series which is intended to be used as source material for those doing sound design as well as turnkey acoustic SFX for inclusion in Film/Video/Gaming soundtracks.
QES Metals RAW1 contains 7 Bowed Cymbals instruments (straight, pitch shifted, time stretched, mirrors and reverses) – and 4 Chimes Clusters instruments (straight and reverses.) The one-shot sounds can be used as is for SFX, processed by your favorite Fx/mangling chain or the .wavs can be imported into your favorite re-synthesis, spectral synthesis, convolution, or granulation engine. The format is 24 bit, 44.1KHz, Stereo, .wav samples.
QES Metals RAW1 includes Version 3 scripting – including: Convolution (110+ IRs) – Global Stereo Image Control, Global EQ, XFade Mode, Layers Mode, Four Modes of Envelope Assignment/Control, and Stereo Image Control for individual sounds.
QES Metals RAW1 for Kontakt is available to purchase as a download for $49.95 USD.
More information: QESounds / QES Metals RAW1
Silicon Beats has released Metalcore Drum Loops V1, of collection of 119 drum loops.
Put the ‘Heavy’ in your Metalcore and Death Metal tracks with ‘Metalcore Drum Loops V1′. These massive stomp grooves include some tricky double kick drum licks and some nasty china crashes that you MUST use in Metalcore – it’s the law.
We focused mainly on stomp grooves with a wide selection of fills and variations with closed hats, open hats, rides and crashes. We used a Yamaha Stage Custom kit that was made from mahogany which gave the drums a really bright tone that was ideal for all kinds of metal. With a tasty selection of cymbals from Istanbul, Sabian and Zildjian we managed to capture a big, trashy noise that will give your metal tracks a really live feel.
Metalcore Drum Loops V1 is available to purchase for $69.95 USD.
More information: Silicon Beats / Metalcore Drum Loops
Prominy has released V-Metal, an ultra real-sounding, dark-powered virtual electric guitar.
The true METAL sound of ESP® Alexi Blacky with EMG®humbucker pickup includes over 19GB*, approx. 26,000 samples. V-METAL enables you to compose and create very realistic Metal guitar tracks that imitate real guitar playing!
- Incredible real-time playability – V-METAL SPM (Super Performance Multi).
- Fretboard Monitor.
- Auto Stroke Detection.
- Realtime Legato Slide / Hammer-on / Pull-off / Trill / Tremolo.
- Real sampled chords.
- Assignable Key Switch.
- The lower note samples (low C – low D#) are included.
- Direct signal from the guitar (Amp simulator is not included in the product).
- V-Metal uses the Lossless Sample Compression format ‘NCW’ with real-time encoding. The data size after the installation is approx. 10.4 GB that equals 19 GB of .wav files.
V-Metal for Windows and Mac (powered by Kontakt Player 5) is available to purchase for the introductory price of $199 USD (33% off regular price of $299 USD) until December 29th, 2011. Registered Prominy can purchase V-Metal for $179 USD.
More information: Prominy / V-Metal
Toontrack has released Library of the Extreme – Fill Insanity, a new collection of MIDI drum files.
Dirk Verbeuren (Soilwork, Scarve) is back with the third pillar in his much appreciated series of extreme metal MIDI for drums: Library of the Extreme III – Fill Insanity.
Boasting more than one thousand different fills, played with butchering precision and offering an incredible diversity, this collection is likely to be your one-stop for any extreme metal fill. Just a simple drag and drop and you inject some of the mad genius of Dirk into your songs!
Library of the Extreme – Fill Insanity features
- More than one thousand different MIDI files, played by Dirk Verbeuren.
- Straight / Swing variations in a wide range of different tempos.
- Lead-in and stand-alone variations available in all tempos.
- Works with EZdrummer®, Superior Drummer® (optimized for 1 or 2 kicks, 1 snare, 2 toms, 1 floor-tom, 2 crash cymbals, 1 ride cymbal).
Library of the Extreme – Fill Insanity is available to purchase for 25 EUR / $29 USD.
More information: Toontrack / Library of the Extreme – Fill Insanity
Toontrack has announced the release of four new preset libraries for Superior Drummer as part of its Metal Month.
The third pillar in Metal Month 2011 is a complete bonanza of presets for Superior Drummer – of course designed by a well renowned league of producers in today’s metal scene as well as by your number one purveyor of metal itself; Toontrack Music. Let the madness begin!
Superior Drummer Preset Mania
- DFH Presets – Jason Suecof – Being one of the first EZXs for EZdrummer, a modern classic and staple in any self respecting metal head’s arsenal of drums, fiddling with it may to some seem like we are dishonoring a bonafide legend. However, with one of today’s hottest metal producers at the helm combined with the tools and features in Superior Drummer® 2.0, you’ll be amazed at how revitalized and versatile this gem really sounds.
- Metalheads Presets – Toontrack – Not to blow our own horn, but we know a thing or two about how to squeeze the absolute most out of the drums we recorded ourselves! That’s why we are proud to present how we here at Toontrack HQ tweaked one of our favorite EZXs in the world’s best drum sampler, Superior Drummer. Enjoy: Metalheads EZX Presets – Toontrack!
- Metal Machine Presets – Nolly – With a strong Internet presence and as an avid user of Toontrack’s sample libraries, Adam “Nolly” Getgood has tweaked a wealth of jaw-dropping drum sounds is his productions and quickly become one of the brightest stars in the in-the-box production and overall modern metal community. Naturally, his Metal Machine presets are no exception: piercing and ear numbing tweaks showcasing the incredible amount of versatility these drum sounds have to offer!
- Metal Foundry Presets – Michael Keene – As his well known nickname suggests, Michael “Keene Machine” Keene has been pumping out metal records with machine-like accuracy for the past five years. The guitarist, songwriter and mastermind behind the progressive death metal titans The Faceless has been producing and engineering records not only for his own band, but a long string of praised cutting edge American progressive metal bands, such as Born of Osiris and Veil of Maya. That’s why we are extremely proud to present Michael’s take on how to tweak his go-to library, Metal Foundry!
The preset libraries are available to purchase for 12 EUR / $15 USD each.
More information: Toontrack