, compressor and limiter
, effect plugins
, loudness war
, Plugin Boutique
Posted in news
on Feb 26, 2015 - 0 comments
Plugin Boutique is offering a 30% discount on MeterPlugs plug-ins as part of its Partner Focus.
MeterPlugs is the meter plug-in company. Their sole focus is to provide you with exceptionally well-crafted meter and analysis plug-ins. No hardware, no effects, only meters.
MeterPlugs was founded in 2009 by Ian Kerr, in response to the loudness wars. Their plugins are suitable for mixing and mastering engineers who want an open, nuanced and natural sound. So put that compressor away, lose the loudness war, and make great music.
- K-Meter — Over the past twenty years, music has been getting louder and louder. New recording equipment and software have made it possible to produce extremely compressed audio. But is this really what listeners want? K-Meter offers an alternative by encouraging greater use of dynamic range. If you want your tunes to sound more open, nuanced and natural, this fully-compliant K-System meter is for you.
- Perception — Ever wonder, “how loud should my music be?” Many people prefer louder music – that’s how the loudness wars started – but too much “loudness processing” can do more harm than good… Squashed, dull, flat sound – or even pumping and distortion. Now, with Perception, you can zero in on your music’s loudness “sweet spot”.
- LCAST Stereo & LCAST Surround — LCAST makes it easy to take loudness and true-peak measurements. It supports all the major loudness standards and has easy-to-use presets for the most popular ones: ATSC A/85 (CALM Act), ITU BS.1770 and EBU R128. Mono, stereo and surround formats are all compatible (surround only available in LCAST Surround). Use LCAST with Logic, Final Cut Pro X, Soundtrack Pro, Cubase, Nuendo, Reaper and more. LCAST has everything you need to create broadcast-ready audio.
The MeterPlugs plug-ins are available at 30% off until March 10th, 2015.
More information: Plugin Boutique / MeterPlugs
MeterPlugs has released Ian Shepherd’s Perception, a level-matching effect plug-in for Windows and Mac.
Ian Shepherd’s Perception, by MeterPlugs lets you bypass complex FX chains and make level-matched comparisons—quickly and easily. You can use it to compare the real impact of effects including EQ, compression, limiting and more, without being deceived by differences in volume. Plus, it shows you the effect that your plugins have on your music’s loudness and dynamics, and even allows you to compare different levels of compression.
In other words, Perception helps you make accurate, informed decisions about your music. It takes the “loudness deception” out of the equation so that you can focus on the sound of your music, rather than volume. Welcome to the future of mastering!
- Bypass entire FX chains.
- Fast A/B testing.
- Loudness matching.
- Plugin delay compensation.
- Peak to loudness ratio display.
- Dynamic range tweaking.
Perception is available for Windows and Mac (VST/AU/AAX) for $149 USD.
More information: MeterPlugs / Perception
, analyser and monitor
, effect plugins
, loudness war
Posted in news
on Feb 26, 2014 - 0 comments
MeterPlugs has announced that its audio plugins are now compatible with Pro Tools. The plugins, K-Meter and LCAST Loudness Meter, were previously available in Audio Unit and VST 2.4 formats for Mac and Windows. Now users can download AAX versions of the plugins for use with Pro Tools 10.3.6 or greater. The update is free for existing users.
K-Meter and LCAST help you take loudness and true-peak measurements. K-Meter is built around Bob Katz’s K-System, an integrated metering and monitoring system that helps you target commonly used loudness levels in a variety of genres. It stands in opposition to the hyper-compressed recordings of the loudness wars era. Instead of focusing on maximizing peak levels, K-Meter places emphasis on dynamic range and sensible loudness levels.
LCAST helps you ensure that your audio is broadcast-ready. It is aimed at content creators who need to comply with precise loudness and peak level requirements. It includes presets for North American broadcasters (ATSC A/85), European broadcasters (EBU R128) and more. LCAST features a graphical history view of integrated, short-term and momentary loudness levels. You can pan and zoom the view to isolate areas of interest and make comparisons.
Both plugins are available for Mac and Windows in 32/64-bit Audio Unit, VST 2.4 and AAX formats. K-Meter costs $49 USD, LCAST Stereo is $199 USD and LCAST Surround is $399 USD.
More information: MeterPlugs
MeterPlugs has announced the release of the LCAST Loudness Meter effect plug-in for broadcast.
LCAST supports all the major loudness specs and has easy-to-use presets for the most popular ones.
LCAST makes it easy to take loudness measurements and supports the latest loudness standards, ATSC A/85, EBU R128 and ITU BS.1770-2, which aim to eliminate loud commercials and improve audio quality in broadcast.
If you are working with mono and stereo programmes, LCAST Stereo gives you everything you need to ensure your programmes meet broadcast requirements:
- support for ATSC A/85, EBU R128 and ITU BS.1770-2;
- loudness history plot, which shows you how loudness loudness–momentary, short-term and integrated–changes over time (up to 24 hours);
- loudness range display;
- custom loudness variance measurement, which shows you how dynamic your audio is;
- true-peak metering for each channel;
- overload indicators with adjustable threshold;
- gated and un-gated loudness; and
- custom color regions in the history plot.
LCAST Surround includes all the same features but gives you surround sound, up to 5.1 channels. It also includes loudness logging, a powerful feature that allows you to export all loudness data recorded by LCAST into a CSV file, which can be opened in a 3rd party app like Microsoft Excel. This gives you the flexibility to create custom reports, perform additional processing and integrate LCAST into your workflow.
LCAST for Windows and Mac (VST/AU) is available to purchase for $199 USD (Stereo) / $399 USD (Surround).
More information: MeterPlugs / LCAST Loudness Meter
MeterPlugs (formerly Audio Pluggers) has announced the release of K-Meter x64, a 64-bit VST version of K-Meter for Windows.
K-Meter is a vintage-styled meter that helps audio engineers properly level their content. It encourages dynamic, consistent and natural sounding recordings by focusing on average levels instead of peak levels. Audio that is leveled in this way is less prone to unwanted distortion and clipping. This leads to a more enjoyable and less irritating listening experience.
MeterPlugs K-Meter is a fully-compliant K-System meter for Windows and Mac.
- Supports ITU BS.1770 loudness metering, which weights frequencies based on how loud they would be perceived by a person.
- Accurately detects inter-sample peaks by up-sampling the audio signal by up to 4 times its original frequency.
- Includes a pink noise generator that can be used to calibrate studio monitors.
- Available on both Mac OS X and Windows XP/Vista/7 in 32-bit and 64-bit builds. VST and Audio Unit formats are available.
K-Meter is available to purchase for $49 USD.
More information: MeterPlugs / K-Meter