Homegrown Sounds has updated Astralis C to version 1.0.1.
Astralis C 1.0.1 has a newly developed dedicated file system module which solves all the incompatibility problems experienced in some hosts. The new module is a complete self contained file/bank management system.
Updated in v1.0.1
- No more limitations on the number of files in a bank
- Sub Directories are now scanned
- Randomize will now select a sample from any installed bank
- Refresh button for rescanning the directory
- Banks are now selected via a popup menu instead of the old browse button
- New randomization back-end throughout the synth to reduce load times slightly
Astralis C is only available for download in the Astralis Private area for license holders.
The Astralis Microtonal VST Synthesizer Pack, including Astralis C costs £30 (approx. 60 USD / 45 EUR)
Visit Homegrown Sounds for more information.
Homegrown Sounds has updated Astralis (both A and B) to version 1.1.1.
Updated in v1.1.1
- Changed C1 to CC (Custom Clock)
- Improved Visibility of Envelopes
- Fixed a crash which could occur in certain situations when changing presets
- Removed Manual Mode from MS1 as it was not possible in poly mode, MS2 still has Manual Mode
- Fixed a bug where 4 x tempos were not working as expected
- Added Fine Pitch to the modulation matrix
In addition, Astralis C (beta) is now available to licence holders in the private section. It has all the features of Astralis A but uses 16/24 bit samples as the sound source.
The Astralis Microtonal VST Synthesizer Pack for PC is available for download 50 USD / 37 EUR (the pack includes the Astralis C synth).
Visit Homegrown Sounds for more information and a link to download the latest demo of Astralis.
Homegrown Sounds has released version 1.1 of Astralis VSTi Synthesizer Pack, a bundle which initially comprises of 2 synthesizers: Astralis A and Astralis B (which is a slightly simpler single synth version).
New in v1.1
- A Bank of 16 patches by Tim Conrardy added for Astralis B
- Added Pitch Bend on\off per synth/oscillator
- In the master section is a new slider for setting the pitch bend Keyboard range so that only a specific area will be affected by pitch bend.
- All slider ends are now fine controls for moving small increments.
- Microtonal Patches can now be installed anywhere.
- All synths now display the correct version number.
- Register box now displays correctly.
- Arp now correctly stops all notes when switched off
- Numerous other minor enhancements and bug fixes
Patches from previous versions are not compatible due to the large changes in v1.1. These versions have a unique ID and can be installed alongside though it is recommended that you recreate your patches in 1.1, this is the unfortunate sacrifice for some of the improved functionality.
A license for Astralis can still be purchased for the introductory price of US 29.89 (50% off).
Visit Homegrown Sounds for more information and a 30-day trial version of Astralis v1.1.
You can read more about the full set of features of the Astralis synths on this page.
HERCs Music Systems has released Abakos PRO, the full featured successor to Abakos FREE (still available).
- Triangle Waveform now added to Oscillator section
- A very cool Arpeggiator with plenty of control onboard including Tempo and Division
- Support for TUN (Tuning files) for all you Micro Tonal enthusiasts
- Improved filter with a mean SATURATION button (turn the volume down on this…) for wild self oscillation (which could turn into self mutilation if not carefully handled)
- LP and HP filter types with 12, 24 and 48 db/OCT options
- New Distortion module adds low bit grit to your sounds for extreme sonic mess
- New Rotary effect…LFO–> Pan goodness
- Special config program giving all users access to some of the internal behaviour of Abakos PRO. From here, you can choose your Oversampling rate, global Volume and Polyphony settings
- Brand new and improved Preset system, making choosing presets much more intuitive
- Comes with an instruction manual
Abakos PRO costs AUD $19 (which is about US $15 right now, can’t go wrong really!) and a demo version is available for download (the demo has a 10 minute time out limit).
Visit HERCs Music Systems for more information and a link to download the demo.
KV331 Audio has released SynthMaster FREE!, a freeware synth that combines additive synthesis, subtractive synthesis, ring modulation, amplitude modulation, frequency / phase modulation, pulse width modulation, osc sync and waveshaping.
SynthMaster FREE! is identical to the standard version of SynthMaster except three limitations: 2 plug-in instances per project, 5 voice polyphony per plug-in instance and 10 bits audio input resolution.
That’s still pretty good for a free version (although you might reach 5 voices quite quickly), but unfortunately this FREE! version has some buggy features as well.
The installer is a bit tricky if you’re just looking to get the plugin .dll files. According to the manual it should install all the files in
<program files>\VstPlugIns\Kv331 Audio but it seems this does not work for some users. What you could do to just get the .dll files you need is use archiving software like WinRar to extract the .dlls directly from the installer.
Also note that the randomize function can cause the CPU to go nuts and freeze your system or produce presets that are very loud (some of the regular presets already are very loud), so be careful with your ears/equipment.
The FREE! version is an introduction to the commercial standard version that will be released shortly and I’m hopeful these little bugs will be fixed by then.
- 64 voice polyphony
- 3 Additive Oscillators per voice: Each multi-waveform oscillator has its own volume / frequency (pitch) envelope
- 3 Multi-mode Stereo Filters per voice: Each filter has 23 filter types and 18 distortion types.Filters can be connected in three different configurations: Series, parallel and split
- 4 Modulators per voice: The modulators can be used as LFOs (low frequency oscillators) or audio rate oscillators to modulate other modulators, multi-mode filters or the additive oscillators. Each modulator has its own envelope
- 2 MIDI LFOs: These 2 LFOs are used to generate MIDI CC messages to modulate instrument parameters. Since each CC can be linked to 16 instrument parameters, it is possible to modulate 32 different instruments parameters at the same time using the MIDI LFOs
- 2 32 step Patterns: The patterns could be used as waveforms for modulators or MIDI LFOs. Since the number of steps is user adjustable, it is possible to generate patterns in rhythms other than 4/4, such as 9/8, 8/7, 5/8, etc
- 16 Step Arpeggiator: The arpeggiator in SynthMaster is like no other arpeggiator you have seen before. Every step has its own volume, length and delta. The number of steps is user adjustable, so it is possible to generate arpeggios in rhythms other than 4/4, such as 9/8, 8/7, 5/8, etc
- 8 Band parametric EQ: The EQ could be constructed in different combinations such as parallel, series, or input + series. Each band in the EQ could be bypassed, which makes it possible to construct a very flexible parametric EQ
- Stereo Echo / Delay: The echo effect has feedback and filter cutoff parameters, and its delay size is tempo synced
- 16 Band Vocoder: The vocoder uses analog modeled bandpass filters. Either the synth output or the audio input can be used as carrier/modulator signal for the vocoder
- Stereo Chorus / Flanger: The chorus effect in SynthMaster has separate delay and rate controls for the left and right outputs, which widens the stereo width of the effect output
- Stereo Reverb: The reverb effect in SynthMaster is based on physical modeling. You can specify physical parameters such as the room size, the distance of the left & right sound sources, and the width between the sound sources
- Microtuning: Each plug-in instance can have its own custom tuning specified
- MIDI Controller Links: Plug-in parameters can be easily linked to MIDI controllers. Each plug-in instance has its own parameter-controller link settings
- “Partial” Presets: Plug-in parameters for various parts of SynthMaster can be saved independently, which
makes it very easy to create complex presets by combining different “partial” presets
SynthMaster FREE! is currently available for Windows as standalone (ASIO/MME), VST, VSTi and RTAS. Mac OSX support (VST/AU/RTAS) is expected to be added in spring 2007.
The standard version of SynthMaster will be available for sale in December and will cost $99.
Visit KV331 Audio for more information and a link to download SynthMaster FREE!