MusicDevelopments has released version 2.7 of its RapidComposer music software.
RapidComposer is a rapid music prototyping software designed for composers, song-writers and musicians of all musical styles.
The latest update includes rewritten chord suggestions system, chord progression generation, chord progression rules editing, phrase local history and other workflow improvements as well as some bug fixes.
Changes in RapidComposer v2.7
- Chord suggestions (left click on a chord).
- It is easier to input chords using the MIDI keyboard or by entering text.
- Phrase local history implemented: save and recall previous states of phrase generation.
- The scale, tempo and signature properties are displayed on the master track and editable with a single click. Right/secondary click on the master track allows you to add or remove scale/tempo/signature.
- Chord progression rules editing.
- Chord progression generation based on probability rules.
- About 260 new chord progressions for major and minor scales used in pop music (registered version only).
- It is possible to set the initial length of the inserted phrase generators.
- New phrase variation: ‘Spread Out Chord Notes’ to make a fuller sound from any phrase.
- 4 new schemes are added to the Chord Generator to spread out chord notes in octaves.
- Chord names fixed in traditional notation.
- Fixes in chord palette to remember window size.
- Bug fix: crashing issues when enabling “Start With Empty Master Track” fixed.
- Bug fix: freezing when saving composition for the first time eliminated.
- Bug fix: MIDI export and MIDI drag and drop from the VST plug-in to the host did not work well.
- Bug fix: chord preview did not work well in the VST plug-in.
- Other bug fixes.
RapidComposer for Windows and Mac is available for $249 USD.
More information: MusicDevelopments
Source Audio has announced the release of the Soundblox Hub Manager, a free companion software application for the Soundblox Hub v1 integrated multi-pedal system.
The Soundblox Hub and Hub Manager introduce the exciting new concept of “smart” effects pedal boards, bringing professional sophistication and control to the effect rigs of guitar and bass players of all levels.
“High-end effects touring rigs are expensive and complicated,” says Source Audio founder, Roger Smith. “The Hub and Hub Manager make it easy for musicians to achieve a professional level of power and control over their effects pedal collections without the expense and complexity.”
The Soundblox Hub, originally released in Oct. 2013, provides the flexibility and power of a complex multi-effects unit with the simplicity of individual stompboxes.
The Hub is a compact unit that connects with up to five of Source Audio’s Soundblox 2 pedals, unlocking their MIDI capabilities and uniting them into a powerful multi-effects processor and switching system. The Hub allows users to save the on/off states, knob positions, and external control assignments of each connected pedal to create up to 128 unique multi-pedal presets (or “scenes”). Simply dial in a sound with the pedals, then save the state of the entire pedal board with a single button press on the Hub. Scenes can then be recalled with any external MIDI foot-switcher or device that sends MIDI Program Change messages.
The Hub Manager is the perfect companion software application for the Soundblox Hub. It offers an extremely intuitive interface and easy-to-understand graphic display. With the Hub Manager, users can create and edit scenes, name them, export/import scene files, and share them with other Hub owners. The graphics make it refreshingly simple to understand the components of each pedal board scene – simply click a pedal image to reveal a straightforward graphic display of that pedal’s knob settings and external control assignments. The Hub connects to all Windows or Mac computers with a standard USB cable.
Soundblox Hub Manager version 2.0.1 is available to download for Windows and Mac.
More information: Source Audio
Livid Instruments has launched the Ds1, a portable MIDI mixer solution for computer-based mixing, production and performance, developed in collaboration with Dubspot.
Ds1 introduces MIDI control to the familiar layout of an analog audio mixer, and expands the creative possibilities of signal routing and sound processing using digital audio workstations. It’s your hands-on, dedicated controller for instant access to your mix, effects, and instrument parameters.
The Ds1 simply works with any software that supports MIDI. Templates are available for popular digital audio workstations such as Ableton Live, Bitwig Studio, Logic and more. Whether you are mixing in the studio, performing on stage, or travelling to a gig, the Ds1 is designed to fit into your setup and lifestyle.
Use the Ds1 Integration Guide for project templates, setup instructions, and other resources to get started with Ds1 and your favorite music production or DJ software.
- 9 high-quality, 60mm faders.
- 44 rotary knobs with single-color backlighting.
- 4 push encoders.
- 25 RGB backlit buttons.
- USB powered class-compliant MIDI.
- Expression Pedal Input (compatible with the Livid Master Fader).
- Ultra light and heavy-duty aluminum construction.
- Designed and assembled in Austin, TX USA.
The Ds1 costs $479 USD (expected released date Sept. 1st, 2014).
More information: Livid Instruments / Ds1
Noisefactory has released Total EDM Drops, a collection of 50 hard hitting drops and more.
In this pack you can expect to find more than 149 MB of fresh material, spread over 50 EDM Drops, 21 tuned EDM Kicks, 50 MIDI Files and 35 MB of special exclusive bonus content.
Combining the fundamental elements like Drops and Kicks will give the perfect start for the next chart-topping Club-Smasher. But caution! Everything is heavily mangled, treated with distortion, EQ, compression and loaded with tons of FX.
All loop based stuff fits to the Mastertempo of 128 BPM. EDM Drops and Kicks are key-labeled. MIDI Files for the EDM Drops are also included to give you more flexibility for recreation or layering purposes.
The sample pack is available from Loopmasters for £14.95 GBP.
More information: Noisefactory / Total EDM Drops
Squaredheads has released version 1.4 of Nora, a phrase arpeggiator and MIDI key mapper plugin for Windows.
Nora is a MIDI toolset that employs advanced editing tools to create MIDI phrases with ease.
Its full contextual interface allows to create solo melodies, rhythmic basslines or stabs instantly. It may be used in both live and offline environment.
Nora has been recently updated to version 1.4 with a new tool: A MIDI Key Mapper, which can be used as a harmonizer, to create chord progressions, to transpose keys, etc.
Changes in Nora v1.4
- MIDI Key Mapper tool.
- Nudge actions: use keyboard cursors to move notes or nodes.
- Added new presets for Phrase Arpeggiator and for the MIDI Key Mapper.
- Phrase arpeggiator is now optional.
- Moved phrase arpeggiator controls from the main toolbar to its editor window.
- Improved feedback time from interface elements (everything looks smoother now).
- Hidden “Save” from menu, to avoid confusion. It will be restored in a future update.
Nora for Windows (VST) is available for purchase for 49 EUR.
More information: Squaredheads
Zenhiser has launched Melodic Trance Midi, a sound pack featuring a blend of trance audio & MIDI.
‘Melodic Trance Midi’ is the ultimate blend of melodic trance and euphoric sounds creating a plethora of truly stylish hooks. This detailed and diverse trance sound pack delivers multiple options and ideas to both develop and hone your trance skills. Consisting of multiple parts ‘Melodic Trance Midi’ gives you full trance hooks, then separates them into their individual parts. Not only have we supplied the lead loops with alternate versions for fx trails but everything within this sample pack also includes midi parts, this is a huge leap forward for programming variations, now you can delve into the parts, change notes, amend arrangements and turn every part of ‘Melodic Trance Midi’ into your own clubbing anthem.
Inside the pack you’ll find Trance basslines, leads, synth loops and of course the full loops. This truly is an essential trance sound and midi pack, we recommend it for all levels of trance producers, and as with all Zenhiser sample packs the level of programming, mixing and mastering is second to none.
The pack is available for purchase for $40 AUD.
More information: Zenhiser / Melodic Trance Midi
UplandToys has launched Midular, a collection of modular MIDI processing modules for Max for Live.
Midular is my latest venture into MIDI processing software, built in the Max for Live environment.
The modules can be chained together in a modular fashion to form any number of effect chains. Used in isolation, they can act as problem solvers, such as quantizing notes in real-time, repeating incoming notes, or sequencing incoming notes.
By chaining several modules together, one can create a vast array of different MIDI processing chains that can be used to support various forms of algorithmically aided composition.
Midular is a free download (GPL license).
More information: UplandToys / Midular