Tracktion Software Corporation has released version 5.2.2 of Tracktion, the music production software for Windows and Mac.
Changes in Tracktion v5.2.2
- Added sequencer channel note shifting.
- Added means of swiftly toggling sequencer notes in a consistent pattern.
- Added groove template support to sequencer channels.
- Added an option to restore audio settings to defaults.
- Added a way to create a new plugin by right-clicking on an existing plugin item.
- Fix for file render paths not updating when changed.
- Fix for cleaning up some temp files.
- Fix for wrapping plugins in racks.
- Fix for some VST3 plugins.
- Fix for per-clip filter automation when drag-copying clips.
- Fix for restoring the default wave output.
- Fix for restoring the default wave output.
- Fix for edit clip renders having to be regenerated.
Tracktion is available to purchase for $59.99 USD.
More information: Tracktion
Samplerbanks has introduced Mixing EDM, a masterclass from music industry veteran Ken Lewis of Audio School Online.
Ken Lewis takes you through an entire EDM mix, start to finish, 106 tracks, straight through with no interruptions. Ken shows you every plugin, every fader move and pan adjustment, all of the mix bus processing, and explains in depth what he is doing and why he is doing it.
Ken focuses on explaining side chain compression usage as well as how to string multiple effects together to create new textures and spaces. This lesson is jam packed with information that’s easy to follow along with and you can try out your own EDM mixing chops on the full session provided. The audio is also stemmed out for use with any DAW.
This song titled “R U Happy” is written and produced by SnareFace Music and Tarek Elian, from Beirut, Lebanon (bet you did not expect that). Check out more of their music at www.facebook.com/snareface and www.facebook.com/TarekElian.
The full Pro Tools session is included with the download as well as consolidated WAVE files for any DAW systems.
Mixing EDM features
- 4.9 GB GB content (video tutorial + sounds).
- 1 hour 40 minutes video.
- Includes Pro Tools Session + audio stems for any DAW.
The video course is available to purchase for £14.95 GBP.
More information: Samplerbanks / Mixing EDM
Dangerous Music has announced the release of the Dangerous Compressor, a dual-mono/stereo compressor for tracking, mixing and mastering designed by legendary mastering gear guru Chris Muth.
The dangerous compressor was designed to be simple, transparent and powerful.
Built to the exacting standards of the mastering community, as with all things Dangerous, it has also proven indispensable for tracking and mixing. Tame a vocal, tighten a snare, crush a sampled loop or gently smooth a track- the compressor will rise to the occasion, providing rapid results, intuitive feedback and without coloration.
Like all Dangerous Music equipment, the compressor achieves musical, yet transparent results; in the words of producer and mixer Michael James (New Radicals, Hole, Robben Ford, L7, Edwin McCain, The Coronas) “The new Dangerous Compressor is a ‘must have’ in my world. It’s a refreshing complement to the currently fashionable boxes that indiscriminately add color to your sound-whether you want it or not.”
Dangerous Compressor features
- Hit your choice of buttons and twist the threshold for radio-ready results.
- Smart Dyn Dual Slope Detection: Automatically limits peaks while stealthily compressing the average.
- Auto Attack/Release: Replace “guess” with “yes” for rapid-fire results.
- Performs like an automated fader: No more drawing vocal rides.
- True Stereo Dual Detector: Traditional linking shares one detector, often resulting in a narrower stereo image.
- Immaculate VCA: Virtually no distortion, even with 20dB of gain reduction.
- Internal sidechain circuitry houses the audiophile soul of the compressor.
- Bass Cut: Tightens the track without sacrificing the low end.
- Sibilance Boost: Shave sibilance and shrill histrionics with zero post-compression hangover.
The new Dangerous Compressor is available through dealers worldwide for a street price of $2,799 USD.
More information: Dangerous Music / Dangerous Compressor
Related: channel strip
, effect plugins
Posted in news
on Feb 25, 2014 - 0 comments
Time+Space has announced that iZotope is offering a discount on its Alloy 2 mixing tools for a limited time.
Far more than just a traditional channel strip, Alloy 2 is a modern twist on classic mixing that neatly packages the mixing essentials in a self-contained and completely configurable plug-in that puts everything you need at your fingertips.
Alloy 2 features
- Get six powerful tools in one integrated plug-in: Equalizer, Dynamics, Exciter, De-Esser, Transient Shaper and Limiter.
- Achieve exceptional sound quality, balancing vintage emulation with digital precision.
- Hear results immediately with zero latency performance, whether you’re tracking in real-time or in the midst of a mix session.
- Visualize your mixing decisions with rich meter displays to guide the way.
- Start fast, then go deep with over 250 presets and a tweaker’s paradise of advanced controls.
Until 31st March, 2014, Alloy 2 is available to purchase for £84.95 GBP / 114 EUR (over 40% off RRP).
Existing Alloy users can upgrade to Alloy 2 for £36.95 GBP / 51.95 EUR, and existing users of other iZotope products can crossgrade for £65.95 GBP / 87.95 EUR.
More information: Time+Space / Alloy 2
IK Multimedia has announced the release of GrooveMaker 2 for iPad, the most powerful mobile loop based music making app with a patented “groove generator” engine that lets anyone create professional quality non-stop grooves, beats and songs in real time.
GrooveMaker 2.1 adds universal compatibility that provides iPad users with an intuitive groove making interface and full suite of professional tools and effects for creating music and grooves on the go on an iPad.
GrooveMaker 2 provides a completely new and intuitive way of making music by using groups of loops called songs (60 loops per song) that always sound good together, and users use these to build grooves and complete songs.
GrooveMaker 2 gives users total control over the creation, mixing and remixing process from a newly designed iOS 7 style interface and intuitive controls, loop import, automatic mixing controls, loop effects, mastering effects, groove sequencing and export controls. With GrooveMaker 2, anyone can make music and be a DJ, anywhere, any time.
GrooveMaker 2 for iPad is available to purchase for $9.99 USD / 8.99 EUR.
More information: IK Multimedia / GrooveMaker 2 for iPad
Rob Chiarelli has released Mix Buss Lite, an Signature Series effect plug-in designed for mixing.
The three most common questions I am asked are:
- “How can I get my mixes to sound like a record?”
- “How can I get my mixes to be LOUD without sounding over-compressed?“
- “How do you get the bottom end right?”
My new Mix Buss Plug-ins are the answer. For years, mix engineers have been using certain signal chains, compressors and EQ’s to infuse magic into their mixes. A simple, easy to use version of this is now available in my new Mix Buss Lite Plug-in.
Do these plug-ins sound great on everything? Actually, yes. They do. If they didn’t, I wouldn’t put my name on them. Simple as that.
Mix Buss Lite for Windows and Mac (32/64-bit, VST/AU) is available to purchase for $19 USD.
More information: Mix Buss Lite
Toontrack has released version 1.0.4 of its Beatstation sample-based software instrument, and version 2.0.9 of EZmix, the mixing tool for Windows and Mac.
This update is recommended for all users but particularly for those running the latest operating systems released by Microsoft and Apple. It is required for Pro Tools 11 compatibility.
Changes in Beatstation v1.0.4
- AAX support for Pro Tools 10.3.5 or above.
- Fixed: When “Drag MIDI as Audio” was enabled, dragging MIDI could lead to a crash if the sample rate was higher than 44.1 kHz.
- Fixed: Beatstation could freeze when the Swing knob was rotated.
- Fixed: In standalone mode, when using external displays on Mac OS 10.9, the window could sometimes get stuck in the top part of the screen.
- Fixed: Non-functional sound libraries should no longer be listed as available.
Beatstation is available to purchase for 99 EUR / $129 USD.
This update is recommended for all users but particularly for those running the latest operating systems released by Microsoft and Apple.
Note that version 2.0.9 is required for the support of EZmix packs released from this point forward (2014).
The following is a summary of changes that occurred in the last 6 months spawning several releases.
Changes in EZmix v2.0.9
- Optimized CPU usage for presets that use an Octaver effect.
- Fixed: In Audio Setup in the standalone on Mac, some audio device names were truncated.
- Fixed: When using Save As in the 64-bit standalone host on Mac OS 10.7 or newer, there were sometimes double dialogs asking if an existing file should be overwritten.
- Fixed: The file name pattern is now correctly displayed as “*.ezmp” in the Save As dialog in the standalone (previous versions had it as “*ezmp”).
- Fixed: Loading EZmix in GarageBand X should now use the same location for user preferences and favorites as when it was loaded in other hosts.
- Fixed: Small adjustments to the way effects are displayed to the user in tooltips.
- [v2.0.8] Fixed: The level could be totally silent or distorted with certain presets on Mac PPC when using some effects introduced in version 2.0.7.
- [v2.0.7] Fixed: The AAX should no longer crash on Windows if ProTools has used more than 2GB and a second instance is added to the project.
- [v2.0.7] Fixed: In standalone mode, when using external displays on Mac OS 10.9, the window could sometimes get stuck in the top part of the screen
- [v2.0.6] Fixed: Changing “Report Latency to Host” now does a fade-out and a fade-in for a better experience.
- [v2.0.6] Fixed: “Pan” should no longer be listed more than once in some shape control descriptions or tooltips.
- [v2.0.6] Fixed: Text that should have been bold was not bold on Windows, for example the browser headers.
- [v2.0.6] Fixed: In the Create Account dialog, the country text field has been replaced by a dropdown menu.
- [v2.0.6] Fixed: Small adjustments to the way effects are displayed to the user in tooltips.
EZmix 2 is available to purchase for 139 EUR / $179 USD.
More information: Toontrack
Toontrack has announced the release of the Ambient EZmix Pack, an expansion for the EZmix 2 multi-effect mix tool for Windows and Mac.
The Ambient EZmix Pack features a collection of settings specifically aimed at creating large, reverberant soundscapes. A creative toolbox, perfect for use in atmospheric compositions spanning anything from motion picture scores to modern pop and a wide array of other musical contexts.
It comes complete with ready-made amp/cab simulation settings for guitar and bass, including deep textures of bit crushed reverbs, bouncing delays and tremolos. Also, in addition to its settings tailored for vocals and drums, the Ambient EZmix Pack comes with a selection of signal chains designed to work on any melodic instrument – be it piano, organ, flute or guitar. But of course – any setting can be applied on whatever audio source you may have. A richly saturated guitar preset might just be the perfect fit for your piano. Or a daunting, backward vocal effect may very well be exactly what you wanted for your bass drum. It’s just a matter of picking, choosing and being creative.
Sweeping pads, flanged reverbs, slow, dwindling echoes – this truly is an inspiring set of tools that will add an instant new layer of creativity to any colorful, emotive or artistic expression.
The pack is available to purchase for $49 USD / 39 EUR.
More information: Toontrack / Ambient EZmix Pack