Rob Chiarelli has released Mix Buss Lite, an Signature Series effect plug-in designed for mixing.
The three most common questions I am asked are:
- “How can I get my mixes to sound like a record?”
- “How can I get my mixes to be LOUD without sounding over-compressed?“
- “How do you get the bottom end right?”
My new Mix Buss Plug-ins are the answer. For years, mix engineers have been using certain signal chains, compressors and EQ’s to infuse magic into their mixes. A simple, easy to use version of this is now available in my new Mix Buss Lite Plug-in.
Do these plug-ins sound great on everything? Actually, yes. They do. If they didn’t, I wouldn’t put my name on them. Simple as that.
Mix Buss Lite for Windows and Mac (32/64-bit, VST/AU) is available to purchase for $19 USD.
More information: Mix Buss Lite
Toontrack has released version 1.0.4 of its Beatstation sample-based software instrument, and version 2.0.9 of EZmix, the mixing tool for Windows and Mac.
This update is recommended for all users but particularly for those running the latest operating systems released by Microsoft and Apple. It is required for Pro Tools 11 compatibility.
Changes in Beatstation v1.0.4
- AAX support for Pro Tools 10.3.5 or above.
- Fixed: When “Drag MIDI as Audio” was enabled, dragging MIDI could lead to a crash if the sample rate was higher than 44.1 kHz.
- Fixed: Beatstation could freeze when the Swing knob was rotated.
- Fixed: In standalone mode, when using external displays on Mac OS 10.9, the window could sometimes get stuck in the top part of the screen.
- Fixed: Non-functional sound libraries should no longer be listed as available.
Beatstation is available to purchase for 99 EUR / $129 USD.
This update is recommended for all users but particularly for those running the latest operating systems released by Microsoft and Apple.
Note that version 2.0.9 is required for the support of EZmix packs released from this point forward (2014).
The following is a summary of changes that occurred in the last 6 months spawning several releases.
Changes in EZmix v2.0.9
- Optimized CPU usage for presets that use an Octaver effect.
- Fixed: In Audio Setup in the standalone on Mac, some audio device names were truncated.
- Fixed: When using Save As in the 64-bit standalone host on Mac OS 10.7 or newer, there were sometimes double dialogs asking if an existing file should be overwritten.
- Fixed: The file name pattern is now correctly displayed as “*.ezmp” in the Save As dialog in the standalone (previous versions had it as “*ezmp”).
- Fixed: Loading EZmix in GarageBand X should now use the same location for user preferences and favorites as when it was loaded in other hosts.
- Fixed: Small adjustments to the way effects are displayed to the user in tooltips.
- [v2.0.8] Fixed: The level could be totally silent or distorted with certain presets on Mac PPC when using some effects introduced in version 2.0.7.
- [v2.0.7] Fixed: The AAX should no longer crash on Windows if ProTools has used more than 2GB and a second instance is added to the project.
- [v2.0.7] Fixed: In standalone mode, when using external displays on Mac OS 10.9, the window could sometimes get stuck in the top part of the screen
- [v2.0.6] Fixed: Changing “Report Latency to Host” now does a fade-out and a fade-in for a better experience.
- [v2.0.6] Fixed: “Pan” should no longer be listed more than once in some shape control descriptions or tooltips.
- [v2.0.6] Fixed: Text that should have been bold was not bold on Windows, for example the browser headers.
- [v2.0.6] Fixed: In the Create Account dialog, the country text field has been replaced by a dropdown menu.
- [v2.0.6] Fixed: Small adjustments to the way effects are displayed to the user in tooltips.
EZmix 2 is available to purchase for 139 EUR / $179 USD.
More information: Toontrack
Toontrack has announced the release of the Ambient EZmix Pack, an expansion for the EZmix 2 multi-effect mix tool for Windows and Mac.
The Ambient EZmix Pack features a collection of settings specifically aimed at creating large, reverberant soundscapes. A creative toolbox, perfect for use in atmospheric compositions spanning anything from motion picture scores to modern pop and a wide array of other musical contexts.
It comes complete with ready-made amp/cab simulation settings for guitar and bass, including deep textures of bit crushed reverbs, bouncing delays and tremolos. Also, in addition to its settings tailored for vocals and drums, the Ambient EZmix Pack comes with a selection of signal chains designed to work on any melodic instrument – be it piano, organ, flute or guitar. But of course – any setting can be applied on whatever audio source you may have. A richly saturated guitar preset might just be the perfect fit for your piano. Or a daunting, backward vocal effect may very well be exactly what you wanted for your bass drum. It’s just a matter of picking, choosing and being creative.
Sweeping pads, flanged reverbs, slow, dwindling echoes – this truly is an inspiring set of tools that will add an instant new layer of creativity to any colorful, emotive or artistic expression.
The pack is available to purchase for $49 USD / 39 EUR.
More information: Toontrack / Ambient EZmix Pack
, Solid State Logic
Posted in news
on Feb 13, 2014 - 4 comments
Softube has announced the release of its Console 1 computer based audio mixing solution for Windows and Mac.
Console 1 will not only give you the world-class sound of the included Solid State Logic SL 4000 E model, but also the analog workflow of using physical knobs and buttons when you mix.
Console 1 is all about great sound and intuitive, hands-on control.
Console 1 features
- Next generation mixer.
- Tightly integrated hardware/software system.
- Solid State Logic SL 4000 E model included.
- Hands-on control and intuitive workflow.
- Use with any major DAW.
- Parametric equalizer, compressor, gate, transient shaper, high/low cut filters and harmonics/distortion.
- Customize the channel by adding any Softube equalizer or dynamics plug-in.
- The system will run and the settings can be adjusted without having the hardware connected.
Console 1 has a list price of $1,099 USD / 849 EUR, with an expected street price of $999 USD / 799 EUR (including 19% sales tax).
More information: Softube / Console 1
Posted in news
on Feb 12, 2014 - 0 comments
Zerodebug has announced the release of touchAble Mini, which takes the Ableton Live controller app to the iPhone and iPod touch.
Following the release of the revamped touchAble 2 app for iPad , touchAble Mini app brings most of the popular features and flexible workflow of the acclaimed release to the screen of the iPhone and iPod touch. Users have now full control of Ableton Live 8 & 9 in the palm of their hand.
Taking advantage of the complete rewritten code of its big brother touchAble 2 for iPad, touchAble Mini offers a tight, flexible workflow that can be adjusted to suit any Ableton Live users needs, in a very portable format, making it the most appropriated controller for Live in any circumstances.
The App has been perfectly shrunk down to fit the size of the screens found on the iPhone and iPod touch, and some elements such as the Main menu have been specially redesigned to provide a quick access to all the functionalities provided in this powerful pocket version. Combined with its strong integration in Live, its six different modules (Clips, Mixer, Devices, Keys, Pads, XY Pad) and a MDI Clip Editor, touchAble Mini covers every control element of Live’s session view in a very compact and elegant Interface.
touchAble Mini is designed to provide a powerful, intuitive, reliable and portable multitouch control solution for professional use.
touchAble Mini features
- Direct Access to Live’s Library.
- Powerful MIDI clip editing capabilities.
- Complete control of Ableton Live Session View.
- Smart Mixing tools.
- Control of Live Devices, VSTs and Audiounits.
- MIDI Instruments.
- Advanced XY Pad Module.
- Easy and reliable connection.
- Combine several touchAble sessions.
- MIDI hardware connection.
The touchAble mini app is available to purchase for the introductory price of $9.99 USD / 8.99 EUR.
More information: touchAble
Serato has announced version 1.6 of its Serato DJ mixing software for Windows and Mac.
The latest update for Serato DJ includes Rane Hardware support, Pitch ‘N Time DJ Expansion Pack, Quantize, Nameable Cue Points, Jet Pack FX Expansion Pack, support for the Pioneer DDJ-SZ & Numark V7 Pro Controllers and the brand new Denon DJ MC6000MKII & Reloop Terminal Mix 8 DJ Intro Controllers and a healthy dose of maintenance bug fixes for continued stability and performance.
Changes in Serato DJ v1.6
- Rane Hardware Support: Support for the Rane SL2, Rane SL3, Rane SL4, Rane Sixty-One, Rane Sixty-Two and Rane Sixty-Eight.
- Pitch ‘N Time DJ: Allows you to speed up or slow down your track to extreme tempo values while maintaining its key perfectly, with the highest quality and definition of any available software.
- Serato DJ FX Expansion Pack – Jet Pack: A Trippy, Spacey & Rave infused FX Pack including: Shepard Filter, U.F.O., Space Verb & Bass Ducker.
- Quantize: Quantize mode allows you to set and trigger Cue Points on beat. Make sure you have your beatgrids set!
- Nameable Cue Points.
- OS X Mavericks 10.9 Support.
- Hardware Support: Pioneer DDJ-SZ, Numark V7 Pro Controllers, Denon DJ MC6000MKII & Reloop Terminal Mix 8 DJ Intro Controllers.
- Added Serato DJ Accessory Support: Pioneer CDJ-900, Denon DN-HC1000S.
- Other New Features: Stack View Mode, Open/Close crates from hardware, Improved Cue Point and Loops Display area.
See the release notes for detailed information on the update.
Serato DJ is available to purchase for $129 USD. The new Pitch ‘N Time DJ and Jet Pack expansion packs are available for $29 USD and $19 USD respectively.
More information: Serato / Serato DJ
Tracktion Software Corporation has announced the release of Tracktion Version 5 (T5).
This eagerly awaited update to the popular Tracktion recording application combines an intuitive workflow with a ground-breaking feature set at a remarkable price.
“Our intention from the start has been to enable rapid capture and manipulation of musical ideas,” explained Julian Storer, Tracktion creator and co-founder of TSC. “To that end, Tracktion 5 eliminates barriers to the creative flow as it solves a number of problems that have long plagued the multi-track recording process.”
For instance, the need to create sub-mixes in order to free-up resources for additional tracks is now eliminated by T5’s revolutionary ‘Edit Clip’ format (left). This allows users to embed multi-track material as if it were a single audio clip – while allowing the source material to be edited. This makes even complex song arrangement a breeze and greatly improves the use of system resources.
To make the best possible use of your computer’s capabilities and achieve professional results without dedicated, external DSP, T5 introduces a full blown System Resource Manager and unique ‘Freeze Point’ technology. This gives the user precise control over which session elements should be automatically pre-rendered, so that they can reduce CPU load while retaining mixing/editing flexibility. The result is surprisingly low latency playback regardless of session size.
While MIDI is not new to digital recording, T5 includes a greatly enhanced set of MIDI capabilities. Creating beats with any of your favorite plug-ins has never been easier with a new “In-line Step Sequencer” (right) that can be viewed and edited right in the timeline like any other clip. The piano-roll editor has also been overhauled to include a raft of new features such as “Per-note Automation” and rapid “MIDI Learn” for easy integration with hardware controllers. There is even support for next-generation instruments such as ROLI’s Seaboard with MDC (multi-dimensional control).
Tracktion 5 has hundreds of new features – including ARA integration for Celemony Software’s Melodyne, rapid audio comping, track presets and much more.
T5 for Windows, Mac and Linux is available to purchase for $59.99 USD; upgrades are $29.99 USD.
More information: Tracktion