Madrona Labs has updated its Aalto synthesizer for Windows and Mac to version 1.5.
Aalto is a semi-modular software synthesizer with an innovative, patchable UI, distinctive sounds, and a charming personality.
Changes in Aalto v1.5
- Fixed an issue that was slowing down Aalto dramatically on some Windows systems.
- Fixed an issue requiring a runtime support pack on some Windows systems.
- Improved latency through the patcher when running at large host buffer sizes.
- Aalto now draws at full resolution on Macintosh Retina Display, in compatible hosts.
- Aalto is now compatible with Soundplane version 1.0 and higher.
- Fix mousewheel direction on Mac OS 10.7 and higher.
- Accelerated drawing to the screen on Mac OS with OpenGL.
- Optimized drawing scheduling to avoid glitches, especially in Logic.
- User and factory presets now share the same location.
- Improved ergonomics of patcher with larger handles and smoother graphics.
- Fixed a drawing problem with bipolar dials.
- Improved drag ergonomics for dials.
Aalto for Windows and Mac (VST/AU) is available to purchase for $99 USD.
More information: Madrona Labs / Aalto
Expert Sleepers has released version 2.4.0 of its Silent Way suite of plug-ins designed for use with analogue synthesisers, and especially as part of a modular analogue synthesiser system.
Silent Way Step LFO 2.4.0 now includes manual DAC.
The plug-ins produce no sound themselves, nor do they process sound – rather, they generate signals to be used as control voltages (CVs), which can be patched into the control inputs of oscillators, filters, VCAs etc. of an analogue system.
Also, with the addition of the CV Input plug-in, it is possible to bring CVs from the synth into the computer, for recording or processing.
Changes in Silent Way v2.4.0
- Added new Run modes and a periodic reset feature to Silent Way Sync.
- Added virtual MIDI input ports to Silent Way ES-4 Controller and ES-5 Controller.
- Added ‘Manual DAC’ feature to Silent Way Step LFO.
- The Audio Unit version now implements Apple’s newer Audio Component API, allowing usage in modern (post-OS X 10.6) hosts that do not support the older Component Manager API.
- Updated Silent Way Soundplane’s OSC support for the new t3d format in the Soundplane Client v1.0 and above.
Silent Way for Windows and Mac (VST/AU) is available to purchase for $59 (USD, plus VAT if applicable).
More information: Expert Sleepers / Silent Way
Sonic Faction has announced Dope Matrix, a virtual synthesizer instrument for Ableton Live 9.
Dope Matrix brings the modular experience into a digital world by combining famous analog oscillators with custom made effects modules.
Create your own patches to explore vast new dimensions of sound and design evolving textures for experimental sonic science. The instrument also includes a new Max for Live step sequencer that features a realtime matrix for hands-on control of your patch.
Instantly access any oscillator or effects parameter with a touch of a button. Dope Matrix allows you to intuitively interface with your sounds like never before.
Dope Matrix features
- Virtual Modular Synthesizer for Live 9.
- 4 famous analog oscillators: A-110, Plan B, Cwejman & Piston Honda.
- 12 custom Effects Modules – vast new dimensions of sound.
- Design evolving textures for experimental sonic science.
- 100+ Presets included, optimized for Live’s browser.
- Includes Max for Live Step Sequencer that features a realtime control Matrix for hands on control of your patch.
Dope Matrix for Live 9.1 is available to purchase for $40 USD.
More information: Sonic Faction / Dope Matrix
Image-Line has announced the release of a public beta version of Minihost Modular, a modular environment for hosting/interconnecting VST/AU plugins based on a custom modular engine especially developed for this purpose.
As a standalone, Minihost Modular can be used as an advanced VST or AU host with modular routing with some sequencing recording/playback capabilities.
As a VST or AU plugin, Minihost Modular can be used to extend the capabilities of your existing DAW software with its powerful modular, recallable, environment.
Minihost Modular bares some similarities to FL Studio’s Patcher but has an extended capability as a self contained host.
The beta of Minihost Modular is available to registered Image-Line users.
More information: Image-Line / Minihost Modular
ADSR Sounds has introduced CV #1, the first pack in a series of MASCHINE Expansions made with and inspired by analog modular synthesizers.
This pack contains – 585 samples, 16 drum synth presets, 16 Maschine groups (kits), and 2 demo songs.
Beginning with content inspired by classic, quintessential, banana-cable West Coast synthesis, the CV #1 MASCHINE Expansion incorporates the sounds of complex waveforms, frequency modulation, and analog, phasing, un-quantized sequencers.
All of the raw samples found in this first CV MASCHINE Expansion were carefully recorded with a rare, early vintage Serge modular in California with very light processing (or no processing at all).
The Maschine expansion pack is available to purchase for $19 USD.
More information: ADSR Sounds / CV #1 for Maschine
Arturia has introduced Spark 2, a new look, new feel version of the powerful software engine that drives its drum machine-redefining SPARK Creative Drum Machine and SparkLE Creative Drum Machine hybrid hardware/software instruments.
Spark 2 comes with extended REX support.
With the timely introduction of SPARK 2, Arturia has given its beat creation software a new look, new feel, and a whole host of new features fit to make it the premier sound-sculpting and live performance drum machine on the market when perfectly paired with the SPARK Creative Drum Machine and SparkLE Creative Drum Machine controllers. It’s a match made in hybrid heaven that’s more flexible than ever before!
While SPARK has always been built on a fully-modular VA (Virtual Analogue) sound engine, originally only developers had access to this wonderful-sounding rhythmical power source. Not now. With the all-new SPARK 2, users are free to add and subtract modules (including oscillators, multimode filters and Karplus-Strong filter, ADR envelopes, LFOs, mixers, ring modulator, Bode Frequency Shifter, spring mass, and CV processor); create their own patch routings; and assign up to six macro controls for immediate control. Clearly, it’s this truly modular, fully-accessible sound engine that makes SPARK 2 truly shine as the ultimate drum synthesizer!
Spark 2 features
- All new graphics: Tabbed pages, Expanded Pattern edit screen, New mixer, Enhanced Library page for better data management.
- Extended REX support: REX file playback per pad, Manipulation of REX File slices.
- Modular Drum synth editor: Create your own patches, Edit existing patches.
- Create custom instrument macro controls modules including: Oscillators, Multimode filters and Karplus strong filter, ADR envelopes, LFOs, Mixers, RingModulator, Bode Frequency Shifter, Spring mass, CV processor.
- Song mode: NEW 16 song segments, Song segment triggering from hardware.
Spark 2 will be available to download for existing Spark and SparkLE Creative Drum Machine users in March, 2014.
Spark Creative Drum Machine and SparkLE Creative Drum Machine can be purchased for $399 USD/399 EUR and $299 USD/249 EUR respectively.
More information: Arturia / Spark 2
KarmaFX has released version 1.17 of its KarmaFX Synth Modular virtual synthesizer instrument for Windows and Mac.
KarmaFX Synth Modular is an advanced and highly flexible Simulated Analog Modular Synthesizer and Effect Unit.
Its amazing visual- and highly intuitive user interface lets you modulate just about any knob or slider by any control signal – making the soundscape possibilities almost endless.
Changes in Synth Modular v1.17
- Added 64 bit support to PC/Windows.
- Added 64 bit support to Mac/OSX.
- Added some missing extra user patch banks to the registered Mac installer. (Thanks Geoff)
- KarmaFX Synth Modular demo updated. Extended timeout.
KarmaFX Synth Modular for Windows and Mac (VST/AU) is available to purchase for 76 EUR + VAT / $112 USD.
More information: KarmaFX
The Sound Guy, Inc. has announced the release of a 64-bit upgrade of its SFX Machine Pro software for Mac that lets you create your own effects from scratch.
SFX Machine, a flexible multi-effects and sound design tool, will now work with 64-bit VST and Audio Unit host programs. A 64-bit VST version is also already available for Windows.
SFX Machine Pro provides quick and easy access to hundreds of audio effects, from the conventional to the bizarre.
SFX Machine Pro features
- A modular synthesis preset editor.
- Host tempo sync.
- MIDI automation.
- Randomize function.
- Output limiter.
- Over 300 effects.
SFX Machine Pro is available to purchase for $99.99 USD.
More information: The Sound Guy / SFX Machine Pro