MOTU has announced 1248, 8M and 16A, three new high-end Thunderbolt audio interfaces.
The culmination of years of R&D, each interface delivers a wide range of analog and digital I/O, A/D/A conversion with exceptionally high dynamic range, 48-channel mixing and DSP effects processing, universal connectivity to your computer, and audio networking for system expansion.
Flexible, powerful audio I/O
Start with the flagship 1248, or mix and match any combination of the three I/O’s to suit your specific needs. Add a 2nd interface with a simple Ethernet cable. Add the five-port MOTU AVB Switch to build an expanded system of 3 to 5 interfaces with AVB audio networking (or 6+ with additional switches). Regardless of which interfaces you choose, they all share features that are easy to use and shared among all three products.
1248, 8M and 16A features
- Superb audio quality — For example, all balanced TRS analog outputs produce 123 dB dynamic range and -110 dB THD+N (0.0003%) at -1 dBFS, Unweighted, 1 kHz.
- Universal connectivity — Connects to your computer with Thunderbolt or high-speed USB 2.0 (compatible with USB 3.0). Class-compliant firmware and Industry standard drivers work with any audio software.
- On-board DSP with mixing and effects — Flexible 48-input digital mixer modeled after large format mixing consoles, with 12 stereo busses and DSP effects, including reverb, 4-band EQ, gate, and compression.
- 32-bit floating point processing — The DSP engine for mixing and effects delivers virtually unlimited headroom and the utmost in sound quality.
- Modeled vintage effects processing — Classic reverb. Compression modeled after the legendary LA-2A compressor. EQ modeled after British analog console EQs.
- System expansion and audio networking — Add a 2nd MOTU AVB interface (1248, 8M or 16A) with a simple Cat-5e Ethernet cable. Connect up to five MOTU interfaces using a MOTU AVB Switch (sold separately). Build a network with multiple interfaces and computers using standard AVB switches and network cabling, with ultra-low network latency, even over long cable runs (hundreds of meters). Stream hundreds of audio channels among devices and computers on the network.
- Matrix routing and splitting — Flexible, matrix-style audio routing and splitting for any analog or digital input, computer channel or network stream to any other output, computer, or network device. Split any single input to unlimited multiple output destinations.
- 256 channels of network audio I/O for your host computer — Record and monitor up to 128 networked audio channels in and out, simultaneously, through the Thunderbolt connection to a host computer.
- Web app control — Control on-board DSP, mixing, device settings, and network audio routing from web app software running in your favorite browser on a laptop, tablet or smart phone connected by wire or Wi-Fi to your local area network.
- Stand-alone mixing with wireless control — Connect an Apple Airport or other Wi-Fi router directly to the 1248, 8M or 16A with a standard Ethernet cable and control the powerful on-board mixing and DSP effects from your smart phone or tablet, without a computer. Great for live sound mixing.
- ADAT digital I/O — Connect outboard digital processors, digital mixers or other gear. 16 channels at 44.1/48 kHz or 8 channels at 88.2/96 kHz.
- Comprehensive metering — The large backlit 324 x 24 LCD lets you view all signal activity at a glance with detailed metering for all analog and digital I/O. Access hardware settings from a simple and convenient menu.
Pricing and availability TBA.
More information: MOTU
MOTU has announced its 828x professional 28×30 audio interface with Thunderbolt technology is now shipping.
Only the 828x gives you an award-winning combination of comprehensive features, inspired engineering, rock-solid performance, and connectivity to any Mac or PC with either Thunderbolt or high-speed USB 2.0.
The 828x connects to a Mac or PC computer with ultra-fast Thunderbolt™ or hi-speed USB 2.0 and delivers DSP effects and mixing for all 28 inputs and 30 outputs with 32-bit floating point processing.
Effects include classic reverb, modeled analog EQ, and vintage compression modeled after the legendary LA-2A™.
Two mic/guitar “combo” style inputs provide transparent preamps, true hi-Z guitar input, and hardware limited signal overloaded protection. All analog inputs offer digitally controlled analog trim.
- Highly-flexible 28-in/30-out audio interface with Thunderbolt and USB connectivity.
- Easily manage complex routing configurations with CueMix FX software mixer.
- Built-in DSP gives you high-quality reverb, EQ, and compression on inputs, outputs, and headphone mixes.
- Can be used as a standalone mixer with complete front panel control.
- Separate XLR main outs and front-panel headphone jacks, each with independent volume control.
The 828x is available to purchase for MSRP $999 USD.
More information: MOTU / 828x
Gospel Musicians has announced the launch of FM TiNES, a dedicated electric piano library that focuses on the 80′s sound.
FM TiNES is a sample and synth library containing over 20GB of the prettiest and most inspirational electric pianos ever heard. Our goal was to cover the complete genre of electric piano patches and not just FM. From D50 type bells, beautiful pads, lush strings, and multi-layered FM EPs, FM TiNES will be the number one electric piano library to go to for that 80s/90s sound. And because we are vintage synth addicts, we included FM emulations of the classic o1W Dyno, the JD Crystal EP, a Dyno-My-Piano, and who could forget the MKS-20 EPs.
FM Tines is a complete 80′s electric piano library and synth with an assortment of pianos, pads, strings, bells in which to use along or layer with. Given the library has 4 separate element slots, you can mix, match, layer, EQ, and filter each individual element/oscillator to your liking. The final stage includes the newly SparkVerb™ by UVI which is available for all three elements.
FM TiNES features
- 148 patches and 75 distinct EP sounds
- Size: 20GB (Huge Detailed and Exhaustive Library).
- Recorded at 44kHz/24-bit directly from the Yamaha SY99 analog outputs.
- Converted to 16-bits using iZotope’s MBit+ for maximum quality (We have decided to convert to 16-bit to save on hardrive space and RAM).
FM Tines for UVI Workstation Player and MachFive 3 is on sale for $99.99 USD until February 1st, 2014.
More information: Gospelmusicians / FM TiNES
Patchpool has launched Scattered Entity, a sound library for the MachFive instrument from MOTU.
Scattered Entity Vol. 1 is the first library in a series of releases for MachFive 3.
Over time an entire universe of sounds for this extremely versatile electronic instrument will be created, combining the beauty and natural expression of acoustic instruments with the unlimited possibilities of state-of-the-art sound design.
Scattered Entity features
- 4.38 GB of samples (wav/stereo/48 Khz/24 Bit)
- 121 patches/instruments + 8 variations, combining all synthesis methods available in MachFive.
- Multisampled instruments, pure and and combined with electronics: Evolving pads, Vocal textures, Experimental and abstract textures, Cinematic and ominous soundscapes and drones, Complex sequencers, Processed field recordings, Orchestral sounds derived from orchestral recordings of my own music.
- Sampled Instruments: Celtic harp with 27 strings – multisampled with several velocity layers and round robin, harp glissandi, bisbigliando and more, Timpani, Waterphone, other string instruments (violin, piano, cello), Woodwinds (sax/duduk), Chromatic and achromatic percussion (Thai gongs, Tamtam, bowed and beaten vibraphone, tibetan singing bowls, Glockenspiel).
- 20 patches have custom scripting for extended sound manipulation features and a user interface, all non-scripted patches have the Modwheel and the 8 Macros assigned in the info tab, many also use Aftertouch.
The soundset is available to purchase for 79 EUR.
More information: Patchpool / Scattered Entity
, Pro Tools
Posted in news
on Oct 23, 2013 - 0 comments
MOTU has released version 3.2 of MachFive, a sampler instrument for Windows and Mac.
Within minutes after you begin using MachFive 3, you’ll appreciate the years of user interface design and engineering that have gone into this 3rd-generation release.
From the configurable part list to the full-screen envelope editor, MachFive 3 has been designed to spur your creative muse while delivering state-of-the-art virtual instrument technology in a streamlined, efficient environment. After all, music, sound design, and audio production are creative endeavors that deserve a worthy partner in creativity.
Changes in MachFive v3.2
- Updated UFS soundbank libraries.
- Pro Tools AAX plug-in support for Mac and Windows (for Pro Tools 11 and above).
- Eden-based iLok protection.
- New WahWah Filter effect in MachFive’s Filter category.
- Improved memory efficiency (now uses much less RAM).
- New Verify soundbank integrity feature.
- Improved support for CAF files.
- Start/Stop position markers are now available for IRCAM granular oscillator.
- Many additional enhancements.
MOTU has also released version 8.05 of its Digital Performer audio workstation software with MIDI sequencing.
Digital Performer 8.05 is now shipping and provides many improvements, optimizations, and refinements. This update is recommended for all DP8 users.
Details on what’s new in version 8.05 can be found here.
More information: MOTU
Hal Leonard has announced that it has published Digital Performer for Engineers and Producers, a new Quick Pro Guides series book.
Digital Performer for Engineers and Producers is designed to help people who already have some familiarity with Digital Performer – or any other DAW software – jump directly into some of the extremely important and powerful capabilities of this incredible software. Author and noted DP guru David E. Roberts has been directly involved with the development of this incredibly powerful and innovative DAW software since 1993; he is also responsible for artist/VIP support at MOTU and has been training new users for the past 20 years. Considering Roberts’ depth of understanding and insightful experience, this Quick Pro Guide offers a uniquely succinct path to understanding and eventually mastering Digital Performer.
Digital Performer for Engineers and Producers focuses specifically on music production, mixing, film scoring, and live performance. This important resource helps the reader get right down to the essential tasks, providing insight, tips, and tricks that help the creative mind link existing knowledge to the important activities most commonly implemented by DAW users at every level.
The accompanying DVD-ROM provides extremely powerful and supportive video tutorials featuring Magic Dave Roberts doing what he does best: revealing the insider tips and tricks that have kept Digital Performer at the forefront of DAW technology since its inception.
The book is available to purchase for $16.99 USD.
More information: Hal Leonard / Digital Performer
Simon Stockhausen of Patchpool has announced Scattered Entity Vol. 1, the first in a series of libraries for MOTU’s MachFive 3.
Over time a universe of sounds for this extremely versatile electronic instrument will be created, combining the beauty and natural expression of acoustic instruments with the miracles of electronic sound design.
Scattered Entity Vol. 1 features
- ~3 GB of original samples (wav/stereo/48 Khz/24 Bit).
- 100+ patches/instruments combining all synthesis methods available in MachFive
- Multisampled instruments, pure and twisted.
- Orchestral sounds derived from orchestral recordings of my own music.
- Evolving pads.
- Vocal texures.
- Experimental textures.
- Cinematic and ominous soundscapes.
- Complex sequencers.
- Processed field recordings.
- Sampled Instruments:
- Celtic harp with 27 strings – multisampled with several velocity layers and round robin, harp glissandi, prepared harp samples.
- Bowed strings.
- Chromatic and achromatic percussion (Thai gongs, Tamtam, bowed vibraphone, Djembe and more).
- All patches will have the 8 Macros assigned in the info tab, quite a few patches will also have custom scripting for extended sound manipulation features and a nice front end.
The sound library is scheduled for release in early November, 2013. It is available to pre-order for 52 EUR (20% off regular 65 EUR).
More information: Patchpool / Scattered Entity Vol. 1