MIDI HACK is a 24h hackathon sponsored by Ableton, Native Instruments & Spotify celebrating the protocols (such as MIDI, OSC & CV) and technologies that are the backbone of analog and digital music creation.
The MIDI HACK weekend will offer lectures and performances from artists and creators. The focus of the event will be on letting our participants create new and ground breaking ideas.
The goal of MIDI HACK is to bring together industry leaders, interesting start-ups, software developers, hardware fanatics and musicians who push the envelope of music creation, and to spawn great and creative ideas for the future. Ever wanted to rip apart MIDI controllers to create a new one? Maybe write a new VST or AU? Or how about finding new ways to perform? Then this is the hack for you.
The name MIDI HACK derives from the midi protocol that has defined music creation for more than 30 years. Together with OSC (Open Sound Control – an open source version of the same idea) and CV (Control Voltage – used to control analogue synthesizers) they are the three pillars of music creation today whenever there’s a synthesizer or computer involved.
A hack is a abbreviation of hackathon, a defined space that during a limited tine engages people in overcome a defined target or investigate a certain subject. Midi hack is aimed for the people who love music creation and sees a potential for involvement within the area.
MIDI HACK will take place May 17th-18th, 2014, at Spotify HQ, Stockholm – Sweden. The application form opens Tuesday March 18th, and closes March 30th, 2014.
More information: MIDI HACK
ADSR Sounds has released BASSIC, a bass synthesizer instrument for Native Instruments Reaktor, made with the modern electronic producer in mind.
Stripped of all the things that can distract or confuse when designing killer bass music instruments, BASSIC has all the basic components needed to create professional sounds in just a matter of minutes!
No more spending countless hours dialling in settings across parameters that aren’t even necessary. No more complex routing decisions. And no more time spent on things that only seem to derail the creative process!
We created BASSIC with one thing in mind – Simplicity.
- Synth with 3 oscillators, including a sampler.
- Oscillators have bandlimited hard sync.
- Filter featuring zero delay feedback with saturation.
- Modulate any knob or parameter on the synth.
- Distortion, Formant, Bitcrusher, Vibrato, Flanger, Chorus and Doubler effects.
- EQ section with Low Shelf, a Peak, and a High Shelf filter.
- Includes presets by OhmLab and BHK Samples.
- Bassic is open source.
BASSIC is available to purchase for $19 USD. Requires full version of Reaktor 5 (Reaktor Player not supported).
More information: ADSR Sounds / BASSIC
The Sonic Visualiser application for viewing and analysing the contents of music audio files, has been updated to version 2.3.
The aim of Sonic Visualiser is to be the first program you reach for when want to study a musical recording rather than simply listen to it.
We hope Sonic Visualiser will be of particular interest to musicologists, archivists, signal-processing researchers and anyone else looking for a friendly way to take a look at what lies inside the audio file.
Changes in Sonic Visualiser v2.3
- Add a startup welcome dialog that also explains what SV makes network connections for and allows user to forbid them.
- Add “Export Audio Data” feature.
- Show piano keyboard scale in note and time-value layers as well as spectrogram, where vertical scale is log Hz; also show numerical scale in note and region layers when not auto-aligned.
- Speed up CSV file import and avoid showing crazily wide window for CSV file format dialog when file has lots of columns.
- Fix incorrectly saved window geometry when exiting from maximised state.
- Reduce number of timer wakeups when idle.
- Add American English translation and make choice of translation into a preference (defaulting to system locale).
- Permit installation to non-default location with Windows installer build.
Sonic Visualiser is available to download for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
More information: Sonic Visualiser
Create Digital Music has introduced the MeeBlip anode, a compact synthesizer that combines an analog filter with unique digital sound sources.
The all-new MeeBlip anode is part analog, part digital, capable of producing a range of uniquely aggressive, bass-heavy sounds. And inspired by the best classic synths of the past, getting your hands on that sound is always simple, direct, and intuitive. Simply plug in a keyboard, computer, iPad (via adapter), or controller via the MIDI port to play notes. Then, adjust sounds via knobs and switches – you don’t need to navigate a single menu.
Its digital side reproduces the sound and architecture of classic synthesizers, but with an emphasis on adding personality, especially in the low end. Its all-new analog filter with resonance can range from smooth to raunchy – perfect for shaping sound or making squelchy basslines.
MeeBlip anode features
- Unique 8-bit oscillators meet an original analog filter.
- Compact, 4” x 4” case (approx. 100 x 100 mm).
- Modulation, envelope, tuning, and pulse width controls.
- Open source hardware, but fully-assembled and ready to play.
- MIDI input for compatibility with vintage and modern hardware, computers, and (with a compatible adapter) iPad and iPhone.
The MeeBlip anode is available to pre-order for $129.95 USD / 129.95 EUR / £109.95 GBP. They are built to order (ships within 7 weeks).
More information: MeeBlip
Monocasual has released version 0.7.0 of the Giada Loop Machine, an application designed to be a minimal, hardcore audio tool for DJs and live performers.
Giada is a free, minimal, hardcore audio tool for DJs and live performers.
How does it work? Just pick up your channel, fill it with samples or MIDI events and start the show by using this tiny piece of software as a loop machine, drum machine, sequencer, live sampler or yet as an effect (VST and VSTi) host.
Changes in 0.7.0
- Initial MIDI output implementation.
- Initial VSTi (instrument) support.
- New piano roll widget in action editor.
- New chan mode: MIDI vs SAMPLE.
- Fix E_MU Tracker Pre not correctly listed in audio in/output.
Giada is open-source GPL, with binaries available to download for Windows, Mac and Linux.
More information: Giada Loop Machine
The Mixxx free and open source DJ software for Windows, Mac and Linux has been updated to version 1.11.
Mixxx has everything you need to start making DJ mixes in a tight, integrated package. Whether you’re DJing your next house party, spinning at a club, or broadcasting as a radio DJ, Mixxx has what you need to do it right.
After over a year of work by the team, Mixxx 1.11.0 adds several exciting new features including 3-band colored waveforms, a completely new and high-accuracy beat detector, HID controller support, a session history feature, a new beatloop-roll effect, a library preview deck, point-and-click MIDI mapping, advanced search, and much more!
An overview of what’s new in Mixxx v1.11 can be found here. A detailed list of changes is available at the Mixxx blog.
Mixxx is available to download for Windows, Mac and Linux, as well as source code (GPL v2).
More information: Mixxx
Since Martin Eastwood Audio’s official website is no longer up, its free audio effect plug-ins are now available to download from this page, by kind permission of Martin.
Martin Eastwood’s compressor, harmonizer & reverb effect plug-ins.
- Duet — Win VST
Double-tracking/harmonizer effect developed to enhance vocals or instruments, such as guitars, by thickening the sound and adding a rich glossy sheen to your audio material. Duet works by independently pitch-shifting the left and right inputs using a novel synchronous overlap and add technique, allowing pitch to be manipulated in real-time while still maintaining the time duration of the audio.
- Compressive CM — Win VST / Mac VST
External side chain analogue modeled RMS compressor with a brickwall limiter. The external side contains a 3-band EQ and mid/side controls to allow complete control of audio dynamics.
- Compressive — Win VST
Suite of professional quality audio compressors. Includes Compressive Pro (external side chain vintage analog modeled RMS compressor) and Compressive Lite with a reduced feature set for minimum CPU usage.
- Mverb — Win VST / Mac VST / Linux VST / Source
Studio quality, open-source reverb. Its release was intended to provide a practical demonstration of Dattorro’s figure-of-eight reverb structure and provide the open source community with a high quality reverb.
Note: There is no official support for these plug-ins.
, open source
Posted in news
on Mar 13, 2013 - 0 comments
Paul Davis has released version 3.0 of Ardour, the open source digital audio workstation application for Mac and Linux.
Ardour 3: Record, Edit, and Mix on Linux and OS X.
Changes in Ardour v3.0
- Major New Features
- MIDI recording, playback and editing, including plugin instrument support for LV2, VST and AudioUnits.
- Parallelization of DSP operations to use any number of processors.
- Matrix-style patching/routing.
- Overhauled export system (multiple formats at once, stem exports, multichannel exports).
- New & Improved Audio Signal Handling
- Monitor section.
- Solo operation redesigned, includes Solo Isolate and correct AFL/PFL modes.
- Per-channel visible phase invert buttons.
- Internal aux sends and explicit aux busses.
- Improved send control.
- Stereo panning via width+position.
- Track/Bus groups extended.
- Audio Editing
- Option for Automation moves with Regions.
- Rhythm Ferret improvements.
- Vertical stacking of overlapping regions in tracks.
- Non-destructive, non-overlapping recording mode.
- New region editing features.
- Strip Silence.
- Media search path.
- New & Improved GUI details
- Session overview pane.
- Unified processor list (plugins, sends, returns etc).
- Extended Region list.
- Extended Track/Bus list.
- Improved and expanded editor cursor set.
- Dynamically resizable big clock window.
- New and improved preferences dialog(s).
- New editing implementation for clocks.
- External Control
- MIDI binding maps
- Dramatically improved Mackie Control support.
- Linear Timecode support.
- Improved MTC chase.
- MIDI Clock chase.
- 64 bit timeline
- Dynamically resizable disk buffers.
- JACK Session support.
- Undo system internals use less memory and improve speed.
Ardour 3.0 is now available for Mac, Linux and as source code.
More information: Ardour