Monocasual has released version 0.7.0 of the Giada Loop Machine, an application designed to be a minimal, hardcore audio tool for DJs and live performers.
Giada is a free, minimal, hardcore audio tool for DJs and live performers.
How does it work? Just pick up your channel, fill it with samples or MIDI events and start the show by using this tiny piece of software as a loop machine, drum machine, sequencer, live sampler or yet as an effect (VST and VSTi) host.
Changes in 0.7.0
- Initial MIDI output implementation.
- Initial VSTi (instrument) support.
- New piano roll widget in action editor.
- New chan mode: MIDI vs SAMPLE.
- Fix E_MU Tracker Pre not correctly listed in audio in/output.
Giada is open-source GPL, with binaries available to download for Windows, Mac and Linux.
More information: Giada Loop Machine
The Mixxx free and open source DJ software for Windows, Mac and Linux has been updated to version 1.11.
Mixxx has everything you need to start making DJ mixes in a tight, integrated package. Whether you’re DJing your next house party, spinning at a club, or broadcasting as a radio DJ, Mixxx has what you need to do it right.
After over a year of work by the team, Mixxx 1.11.0 adds several exciting new features including 3-band colored waveforms, a completely new and high-accuracy beat detector, HID controller support, a session history feature, a new beatloop-roll effect, a library preview deck, point-and-click MIDI mapping, advanced search, and much more!
An overview of what’s new in Mixxx v1.11 can be found here. A detailed list of changes is available at the Mixxx blog.
Mixxx is available to download for Windows, Mac and Linux, as well as source code (GPL v2).
More information: Mixxx
Since Martin Eastwood Audio’s official website is no longer up, its free audio effect plug-ins are now available to download from this page, by kind permission of Martin.
Martin Eastwood’s compressor, harmonizer & reverb effect plug-ins.
- Duet — Win VST
Double-tracking/harmonizer effect developed to enhance vocals or instruments, such as guitars, by thickening the sound and adding a rich glossy sheen to your audio material. Duet works by independently pitch-shifting the left and right inputs using a novel synchronous overlap and add technique, allowing pitch to be manipulated in real-time while still maintaining the time duration of the audio.
- Compressive CM — Win VST / Mac VST
External side chain analogue modeled RMS compressor with a brickwall limiter. The external side contains a 3-band EQ and mid/side controls to allow complete control of audio dynamics.
- Compressive — Win VST
Suite of professional quality audio compressors. Includes Compressive Pro (external side chain vintage analog modeled RMS compressor) and Compressive Lite with a reduced feature set for minimum CPU usage.
- Mverb — Win VST / Mac VST / Linux VST / Source
Studio quality, open-source reverb. Its release was intended to provide a practical demonstration of Dattorro’s figure-of-eight reverb structure and provide the open source community with a high quality reverb.
Note: There is no official support for these plug-ins.
, open source
Posted in news
on Mar 13, 2013
Paul Davis has released version 3.0 of Ardour, the open source digital audio workstation application for Mac and Linux.
Ardour 3: Record, Edit, and Mix on Linux and OS X.
Changes in Ardour v3.0
- Major New Features
- MIDI recording, playback and editing, including plugin instrument support for LV2, VST and AudioUnits.
- Parallelization of DSP operations to use any number of processors.
- Matrix-style patching/routing.
- Overhauled export system (multiple formats at once, stem exports, multichannel exports).
- New & Improved Audio Signal Handling
- Monitor section.
- Solo operation redesigned, includes Solo Isolate and correct AFL/PFL modes.
- Per-channel visible phase invert buttons.
- Internal aux sends and explicit aux busses.
- Improved send control.
- Stereo panning via width+position.
- Track/Bus groups extended.
- Audio Editing
- Option for Automation moves with Regions.
- Rhythm Ferret improvements.
- Vertical stacking of overlapping regions in tracks.
- Non-destructive, non-overlapping recording mode.
- New region editing features.
- Strip Silence.
- Media search path.
- New & Improved GUI details
- Session overview pane.
- Unified processor list (plugins, sends, returns etc).
- Extended Region list.
- Extended Track/Bus list.
- Improved and expanded editor cursor set.
- Dynamically resizable big clock window.
- New and improved preferences dialog(s).
- New editing implementation for clocks.
- External Control
- MIDI binding maps
- Dramatically improved Mackie Control support.
- Linear Timecode support.
- Improved MTC chase.
- MIDI Clock chase.
- 64 bit timeline
- Dynamically resizable disk buffers.
- JACK Session support.
- Undo system internals use less memory and improve speed.
Ardour 3.0 is now available for Mac, Linux and as source code.
More information: Ardour
lkjb Plugins has introduced Luftikus, a free equalizer effect plug-in for Windows and Mac.
Luftikus is a digital adaption to an analog EQ with fext half-octave bands and additional high frequency boost. As an improvement to the hardware it allows deeper cuts and supports a keep-gain mode where overall gain changes are avoided.
- Hardware-modeled EQ.
- 10, 40, 160 & 640 Hz bands.
- 2.5 kHz shelf.
- optional boost-only shelf at 2.5, 5, 10, 20 or 40 kHz.
- Mastering and analog modes.
- “Keep-Gain” option to avoid drastic overall gain changes when eqing.
- Output trim to adjust gain.
- Improved design to allow deeper cuts.
Luftikus is available as open source, with binaries available for Windows and Mac (32/64-bit, VST/AU).
More information: lkjb Plugins
mono.casual has released version 0.6.0 of its Giada free audio tool for DJs and live performers.
Load or record up to 32 samples, choose to play them in single mode (drum machine) or loop mode (sequencer) and start the show with your computer keyboard as a controller.
Giada aims to be a compact and portable virtual device for Linux, Mac OS X and Windows for production use and live sets.
Changes in Giada v0.6.0
- New, full screen, redesigned sample editor.
- Zoom with mouse wheel in sample editor.
- Use kernelAudio::defaultIn/defaultOut for DEFAULT_SOUNDDEV_OUT.
- Volume knob in main window now updates the editor.
- Sound system issues in OS X (fixed).
- Output device info dialog refers to wrong device (fixed).
Giada is available to download at no cost (open-source GPL), as binaries for Windows, Mac and Linux, as well as source code.
More information: Giada