Moog Music has announced the release of Phatty OS v.3.1, a major firmware update to the very popular and portable Phatty family of analog synthesizers.
The update to the Phatty operating system coincides with an aesthetic update for the Little Phatty Stage 2 Edition, as Moog introduces new black sidepieces. Introduced in 2005, The Little Phatty is a true analog monosynth in every sense: it’s a monophonic, monotimbral, monaural subtractive synthesizer with analog circuitry throughout. It is ideal for beginners and pros alike, used by artists such as Jack White, Chick Corea and Ke$ha. Since its release last fall, the Slim Phatty has been acclaimed for its small size and big sound, based on the iconic Minimoog Model D sound engine and featuring the legendary Moog Ladder Filter. In addition to shaping the sound of its on-board oscillators, the Slim Phatty’s filter is a valuable production tool that can be used to process external audio, sweetening any audio source with everything from smooth analog warmth, to dripping wet resonant filter sweeps.
Changes in Phatty OS v3.1
- Volume Velocity Sensitivity: The ability to map note velocity to output volume with fifteen adjustable levels of sensitivity saved per preset. [Tribute Edition hardware does not currently support this feature]
- Legato Glide: Automatically engage the pitch glide between legato notes. Non-overlapping notes snap instantly to a new pitch. The user is able to play or sequence dynamic bends and slides mixed with cleanly-articulated notes.
- LFO Reset: The ability to reset the LFO cycle at the start of each note. Two LFO trigger modes provide dynamic new modulation possibilities.
- Sustain/Hold Mode: A sustain pedal or control voltage plugged into the CV GATE input jack can now be used to send MIDI Sustain on/off, and to polyphonically sustain MIDI notes from the Phatty keyboard.
- 14-bit MIDI: All Phatty synths can now send and receive high-resolution 14-bit MIDI messages for critical voltage-controlled parameters.
- MIDI Output Filtering: New options control which MIDI CC messages are sent from the Phatty, for maximum compatibility with external gear.
- Expanded MIDI Clock sync options: 22 clock divisions including triplet values for both LFO and Arpeggiator MIDI sync. Clock divisions range from 32nd triplets up to 4 bars.
- Improvements to Arpeggiator:
- Global Arp Setup menu: Set important arpeggiator parameters at a global level. Arpeggiator also remains active when presets are changed.
- Gate Length: Adjust the arpeggiator note length from 50% to greater than 100% (overlapping), for a range of new sonic textures.
- Arp Clock Send: Arpeggiator can now send MIDI Clock, MIDI Start and Stop messages, allowing you to synchronize other gear to the Phatty internal clock.
- Improvements to Polyphonic Mode:
- New polyphonic note-allocation scheme: Uses a “round-robin” algorithm to share notes across multiple Phatty synths in a natural and very playable way.
- Polyphonic arpeggiation: Multiple ways to use the Arpeggiator across a poly chain of Phatty synths, from tight integration to completely freeform.
The Phatty OS v.3.1 update is a free firmware update for all Phattys: Little Phatty Tribute, Stage 1, 2, and the Slim Phatty. It is also available as a Factory Update from Moog.
More information: Moog Music
, operating systems
Posted in news
on Mar 22, 2011
Feeltune has announced OS version 1.5 for Rhizome, a VST Groove Station.
Compose and mix your projects with ease, through a friendly software and hardware interface. Rhizome is an unusual hybrid.
A French touch groove machine, which offers: a stand-alone VST host SEQUENCER a real time SAMPLER, a MIXER 64/8/2 & 15 pre-installed VSTi / VSTfx
Changes in Rhizome OS 1.5
- Undo / Redo on sequences.
- Automation on all mixing parameters, MIDI tracks, VSTi and VSTfx.
- MIDI controller assignation to control all mixing parameters, MIDI tracks, VSTi and VSTfx.
- New MIDI controller environment to control your applications and hardware.
- Multitrack bounce.
- VSTi Track to sample.
- Pattern to sample.
- MIDI Synchronization.
- Drum sampler which allows you to load and edit 16 samples.
- MIDI file import.
Rhizome OS v1.5 is currently in testing phase and will be available for download on March 29th for registered users.
Feeltune will be present at the Musikmesse from 6th to 9th April, Hall 5.1 stand B90. This event will be the opportunity to show the Rhizome and a new line model which release is scheduled for September 2011.
More information: Feeltune
Access Music has announced OS4.5 for the Virus TI series of synthesizers.
OS4.5 focuses on new vintage effect emulations and additions to the modulation matrix
New in Virus TI OS4.5
- Vintage Chorus – The new chorus was modeled after one of the nicest and most famous choruses built in the late ’70s. The flexible subset of parameters allows seamless “morphing” from one emulation to another without having to change the algorithm and therefore stop the sound. It’s a great addition to the TI’s sound engine making it really easy to emulate the famous chorus ensemble sound found in many productions back from ’70s and ’80s.
- Air Chorus – The air chorus is based on creating the Chorus effect in the air, right in between the speakers. In difference to many other chorus effects, it works more subtly and opens the stereo panorama up in a more natural and less intrusive way.
- Vibrato – Especially when you don’t want to waste an LFO to create a vibrato effect, the new algorithm comes in handy.
- Rotary speaker emulation – Emulating a classic Leslie effect, the new rotary speaker emulation offers the usual controls such as a fast/slow setting in combination with creative controls such as microphone distance to add air and space to sounds as well as a crossover setting which allows you to limit the effect to a certain frequency range. You can animate the top end of a pad sound and leave the bottom end untouched.
- New sources have been added to the modulation matrix allowing to add further “analog” feeling to pretty much any parameter available within the over 100 modulation destinations. Access claims that this intelligent and pattern-based unsteadiness enables the Virus TI to cover a wide range of those beloved analog side effects known from slightly damaged or simply poorly engineered vintage synths.
OS4.5 is compatible with the entire Virus TI line including the first versions back from 2005.
More information: Access Music
Related: audio interface
, operating systems
Posted in news
on Nov 17, 2010
Roland has announced the release of new system software for its V-STUDIO 700 and V-STUDIO 100 computer recording products.
This revision adds support for Roland’s newly developed VS Streaming driver technology, and also the ability to use the OCTA-CAPTURE USB 2.0 Audio Interface to expand the units’ I/O capabilities.
VS Streaming represents a breakthrough in driver technology for digital audio workstations, providing ultra-low latency performance and unprecedented stability. With VS Streaming, V-STUDIO 700 and 100 users can enjoy rock-solid operation at latencies as low as one millisecond at 44.1kHz and 48kHz. The cross-platform VS Streaming driver is available for Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP operating systems, as well as Mac OS X.
With the new system software, V-STUDIO 700 and 100 users can now use the new OCTA-CAPTURE USB 2.0 Audio Interface to add an additional 10 inputs and eight outputs to their computer recording setups. When a V-STUDIO and an OCTA-CAPTURE are both connected to a computer via USB, the new VS Streaming driver treats them both as one integrated device, making it seamless for users to access their newly expanded I/O within their DAW software.
Designed to provide superb sound quality that will satisfy even the most demanding audio professionals, OCTA-CAPTURE features 10 inputs and 10 outputs, including eight premium-grade microphone preamps. These VS Preamps the same high-end mic preamps found in Roland’s V-Mixer series of commercial digital mixing consoles, as well as the acclaimed V-STUDIO 700.
To take advantage of these new features, V-STUDIO 700 users should upgrade to System Version 1.3 or higher, while V-STUDIO 100 users should upgrade to System Version 1.5 or higher. In addition, users should install the latest V-Studio driver for their computer operating system.
The system updates and VS Streaming drivers are free downloads for all V-STUDIO 700 and 100 owners.
More information: Roland
Moog has released operating system version 3.5 for the Minimoog Voyager, an analog synthesizer.
Operating System Version 3.5 for the Minimoog Voyager Analog synthesizer adds a number of new features, including quick save, category browse, and legato glide.
After you update your Voyager to OS 3.5, there is a new bank of the freshest Voyager presets on the planet available as a free download. Programmed by Miles Davis keyboardist Adam Holzman, Danish producer Daniel Muschinsky, Moog engineer Steve Dunnington and Moog associate Ben Hovey, these sounds span the spectrum from classic to cutting edge.
Changes in Minimoog Voyager OS v3.5
- Master Mode
- MIDI Panic Function – Allows the user to select whether or not to send a MIDI All Notes Off message when the MASTER switch is pressed.
- Storage Mode – This sets the behavior after a preset is stored. The user is prompted: Go to stored Preset after Saving? If YES is chosen in this screen, then after a preset is stored to a new location the UI goes to the new location. If NO, then after a preset is stored the current location is maintained in the UI.
- Edit Mode
- Glide Modes – There are now 8 glide modes. 1 of 8 is stored in a preset. This determines how Glide behaves when the Glide switch is ON. (Note: to make room for the Glide mode feature in the Edit menu, Filter A poles and Filter B Poles are combined into the single menu item: “Filter Pole Sel.”)
- Panel Mode
- Quick Save – If a preset has been edited, then pressing the Master switch twice saves the preset to the present location.
- Sound Category Browse – If Enter is pressed, the Preset advances to the next available sound in the bank or in the subsequent bank with the same sound category – this is useful for searching for all lead sounds, bass sounds, percussion sounds etc… pressing Enter AND Cursor goes backwards in the progression of the sounds in that category.
More information: Moog / Minimoog Voyager
Access Music has released OS4 for the Virus TI, the award-winning hardware synthesizer with Total Integration plug-in technology.
New in OS4 for Virus TI
- Overdrive Stomp Boxes — OS4 for the entire Virus TI line of synthesizers brings 6 more distortion flavors to the table, modeled on vintage guitar distortion pedals. Every one of these classic pedals is famous for its distinctive character and has been exploited by some of the greatest guitar heroes of all time. The virtual stomp boxes feature carefully modeled distortion curves and tonal characteristics and include tone controls where appropriate.
- Mint Overdrive – The sound of this one just screams tubes – a very special kind of overdrive which results in a wonderful smokey tone. Good for achieving a subtle distortion effect whilst still retaining headroom for dynamics.
- Curry Overdrive – A more extreme distortion, like in the original, this does not feature a Tone control.
- Saffron Overdrive – The ‘orange’ one. A very harsh distortion, popular with the grunge movement.
- Onion Overdrive – A big distortion effect famous for its fuzzy character.
- Pepper Overdrive – A clear, powerful distortion that’s perfect for making leads cut right through the mix. Tone control to soften sound with a lowpass filter.
- Chili Overdrive – A classic “fuzzbox” overdrive. No tone control, just in-your-face fuzz.
- Vowel Filter — This effect is a simple and effective way to vocalize any sound similar to the way a talk box or vocoder would do.
- Comb Filter — The new comb filter creates everything from subtle, pitched overtones to extreme time-warped deconstruction of any given patch.
- Arpeggiator To Matrix — OS4 for the Virus TI series introduces a powerful new feature that allows you use the arpeggiator pattern to modulate any of the parameters available to the modulation matrix. You can use this to create dynamic, rhythmical patterns within a sound, similar to what you can achieve with a step sequencer.
The Virus TI OS4 is now available to download for registered users.
More information: Access Music / Virus TI OS4