Access Music has announced OS4 for the entire Virus TI series at the NAMM Show 2010 in Anaheim, California.
With TIOS4, the next operating system for the entire Virus TI series of synthesizers, your chances to need additional effects are becoming slim. Six meticulously modeled overdrive stomp boxes greatly complement with the existing arsenal of distortion algorithms in the effect section.
The new speaker cabinet emulation is a fantastic and easy-to-use toolkit to add further character; especially to roaring acid lead and sync sounds. You like retro style? Our new Vowel filter will be your best friend, offering a sonic pallet from Talk Box to WahWah sounds.
The Comb filter puts the metallic shine on your patches known from many glitch and progressive tracks. And The new arpeggiator allows you to modulate any of the parameters available to the modulation matrix.
New in OS4 for Virus TI
- Stomp Box Effects — OS4 for the entire Virus TI line of synthesizers brings 6 more distortion flavors to the table, modeled on vintage guitar distortion pedals. Every one of these classic pedals is famous for its distinctive character and has been exploited by some of the greatest guitar heroes of all time. The virtual stomp boxes feature carefully modeled distortion curves and tonal characteristics and include tone controls where appropriate.
- Mint Overdrive: The sound of this one just screams tubes – a very special kind of overdrive which results in a wonderful smokey tone. Good for achieving a subtle distortion effect whilst still retaining headroom for dynamics.
- Curry Overdrive: A more extreme distortion – like in the original, this does not feature a Tone control.
- Saffron Overdrive: The ‘orange’ one. A very harsh distortion, popular with the grunge movement.
- Onion Overdrive: A big distortion effect famous for its fuzzy character.
- Pepper Overdrive: A clear, powerful distortion that’s perfect for making leads cut right through the mix. Tone control to soften sound with a lowpass filter.
- Chili Overdrive: A classic “fuzzbox” overdrive. No tone control, just in-your-face fuzz.
- Speaker Cabinet — To compliment the new vintage distortions, a speaker cabinet simulation was added to the effect section. The new effect type greatly helps to fine tune the frequency response of any sound and to give it more focus in the mix.
- Vowel Filter Effect — This effect is a simple and effective way to vocalize any sound similar to the way a talk box or vocoder would do.
- Comb Filter Effect — The new comb filter creates everything from subtle, pitched overtones to extreme time-warped deconstruction of any given patch.
- Arp To Matrix — OS4 for the Virus TI series introduces a powerful new feature that allows you use the arpeggiator pattern to modulate any of the parameters available to the modulation matrix. You can use this to create dynamic, rhythmical patterns within a sound, similar to what you can achieve with a step sequencer.
OS4 will be available in Q1/2010 to all Virus TI users as a free update.
More information: Access Music
Moog has announce the release of Operating System 2.0 for MP-201 Multi-Pedal, a programmable four channel USB/MIDI/CV control hub.
The MP-201 Multi-Pedal is the perfect Control Hub for live performers, studios, DJ’s and more. It’s built like a tank and with CV, MIDI and USB connectivity, it can control anything from a laptop running the latest software to a monster analog modular synth.
Changes in MP-201 Multi-Pedal OS 2.0
- MIDI-to-CV conversion
- Loopable Envelope Generators
- Four Envelope Shapes
- CV Lag
- CV Scaling
- Trigger Gates & MIDI events
The MP-201 Multi-Pedal is available to purchase for $399 USD.
More information: Moog / MP-201 Multi-Pedal
Edirol has announced the release of the version 2.0 operating system for the R-09HR, the portable digital recorder.
This free, user-installable upgrade adds a suite of new music applications and on-board editing functions, making the R-09HR the all-in-one solution for musicians and recording enthusiasts.
With a new Self Time function, metronome, and two tuners, the R-09HR is now a completely self-contained music companion for practicing and rehearsing. The Self Time function allows for a time delay of up to 10 seconds before automatically recording. With the new metronome, musicians can practice their timing by listening to the click via the R-09HR’s built-in speaker, or record quick demos while silently monitoring the metronome in headphones.
The standard and graphic tuners utilize the professional quality condenser microphone of the R-09HR to accurately analyze any instrument’s pitch and tuning. The standard tuner is handy for checking the immediate tuning of an instrument, such as guitar or bass. The graphic tuner displays changes in pitch over time, making it an ideal tool for vocalists, brass, string, and woodwind players who need to test their pitch variation.
Version 2.0 also adds new on-board editing functions for instant manipulation of recorded audio files. The new Divide function breaks long recordings into separate files, such as lengthy interviews or musical performances. The new Combine function merges separate sound files into one single audio file, a convenient feature for posting podcasts easily to the web, or compiling recordings for band practice or music lessons.
Changes in R-09HR Version 2.0
- Onboard wave editing functions
- Programmable metronome
- Self-timer record
- Standard programmable tuner for instruments
- Graphic tuner for woodwind, brass, strings, and vocals
More information: Roland / Edirol R-09HR
Roland has announced the release of the version 1.30 update for the Fantom-G workstations.
This free download adds new content and enhancements to the Fantom-G, including new rhythm patterns, and a newly added Arpeggio Import Function.
Changes in Fantom-G v1.30 update
- Arpeggio Import Function for creating user arpeggio styles.
- Enhanced functionality, including independent tempo for Live and Studio modes.
- New keyboard modes for RPS and Rhythm Patterns.
- New real-time control of multiple sounds at once.
- Hundreds of new rhythm patterns and RPS phrases.
- New piano patches, Live Sets, and Studio Sets.
The version 1.30 update for the Fantom-G Series (including Fantom-G Librarian/Editor Software) is available for download here.
More information: Roland
Roland has released a version 2.0 system update for the V-Synth GT, the Elastic Audio Synthesizer.
This free, user-installable upgrade adds significant new features to the V-Synth GT’s already formidable sound palette and user interface, building on the powerful foundation of the Elastic Audio Synthesis engine, revolutionary AP-SYNTHESIS technology, COSM(R)-based analog modeling, and PCM wave sampling and playback.
New in V-Synth GT v2.0
- New cutting-edge sounds.
- 22 new multi-effects and five new reverbs.
- Added chromatic-scale pitch bender function.
- Improved file import function (Patch/Tone/Wave/Sample).
- Improved user interface.
- More USB storage functionality.
More information: Roland
Access Music has released OS3 for its Virus TI products.
After an extensive public beta test phase OS3 is ready to roll. The new operating system for the entire Virus TI product line introduces new and existing effects such as additional distortion types, a tape delay and last but not least a ring shifter.
The new version is recommended for every user and can be downloaded free of charge as of today.
We also launched the next public beta cycle for OS version 3.0.2 which will focus on stability and performance. The new OS version is available for public testing today.
Visit Access Music for more information.
Apple has introduced iPhone OS 3.0, the next version of the world’s most advanced mobile platform.
In addition to previewing its innovative features, Apple gave members of the iPhone Developer Program immediate access to the iPhone OS 3.0 software beta and an updated Software Development Kit (SDK) with over 1,000 completely new APIs.
iPhone OS 3.0 will introduce over 100 new features, including the ability to:
- Search your iPhone
- Cut, copy, and paste
- Send photos, contacts, audio files, and location via MMS
- Read and compose email and text messages in landscape
Gizmodo has some details, while Synthtopia and CDM post some interesting info on what the iPhone 3.0 OS will bring for music lovers and musicians.
SM Pro Audio has released a public beta of VFX Mac, offering built-in support for VST plug‐ins originally intended for use on the Windows operating system.
The VFX Application for Mac leverages some of the benefits of Wine to enable support for Windows VST plug‐in files. Wine is a translation layer (a program loader) capable of running Windows applications on POSIX compatible operating systems. Windows programs running in Wine act as native programs would, running without the performance or memory usage penalties of an emulator, with a similar look and feel to other applications on your desktop.
Our application development team has built a Mac OSX compliant application that accesses a Virtual Machine (using elements of Wine) to facilitate the installation and running of Windows VST Plug‐ins.
Make sure to check the manual addendum for details on differences between the Mac beta and the PC release, in addition to known limitations.
Visit SM Pro Audio for more information.