Mathew Lane has released version 4 of the DrMS spatial processor effect.
DrMS spatial processor presents a creative new approach to the manipulation of stereo audio. It is based on MS (Mid-Side) processing, but DrMS splits the stereo signal into four parts rather than the normal two, giving you an unprecedented level of control: Zoom in, add Depth, change Width or any combination and more. DrMS takes you wherever you want to go in the stereo field.
Matthew Lane’s DrMS spatial processor for mixing, mastering and post production.
DrMS v4 features
- NEW: Native 32-bit & 64-bit VST/AU/RTAS plugin for OSX & Windows. Avid AAX support is planned.
- NEW: Much lower CPU use – same high quality sound.
- NEW: Built in preset management system – exchange presets between hosts and platforms.
- NEW: Improved GUI.
- MS encoding & decoding.
- Spatial audio processing: Zoom in, add Depth, change Width.
- Mastering grade filters.
- Resonant HPF, LPF and Delay on each of the four processing sections.
- Feedback circuit for reverb creation and special effects.
- Full mono compatibility.
- Autogain circuit for easy level matched A/B comparision.
- Smart MCU control surface layout.
- Wide range of applications for mixing, mastering and post production, going from simple MS encoding/decoding, over stereo field and depth enhancement, to fixing mono compatibility issues and more.
- Presets developed by Dylan ’3D’ Dresdow (Black Eyed Peas, Michael Jackson, Usher) and Emre Ramazanoglu (Shakira, Duffy, Alexander McQueen).
- Authorisation with iLok (v4.0) or with choice of using iLok or Challenge/Response (v3.3).
DrMS for Windows and Mac is available to purchase for 99 EUR (excl. VAT).
More information: Mathew Lane
Tone2 has announced the release of AkustiX Enhancer version 1.1, including major enhancements in sound quality, performance, lower latency, per channel insert support and 64 bit
AkustiX Enhancer is a collection of enhancement effects designed to complement the mix and mastering process. Combined into an intuitive user interface AkustiX offers six powerful mixing effects: Psycho EQ, Stereo Width, Ultra Stereo, Phase Enhance, Multi-Exciter and Smart Filter.
Each effect is based on the latest developments in psycho-acoustic research and offers multiple ways to customize your recordings by using psycho-acoustic processing to further shape and enhance your sound.
Tone2 AkustiX Enhancer – 6 effects to complement your track and mastering process.
Changes in AkustiX v1.1
- Enhanced performance.
- Reduced latency.
- Enhanced sound for Virtual Surround, Silky Surround, Tone, Diffuse Cream, Noise Reduction and Clarity Enhance.
- New Exciter algorithm.
- Faster loading.
- Enhanced re-sampling in 48, 88 & 96 kHz.
- New features:
- Smart installers for PC and Mac which automatically detect the plugin directory.
- 64 bit Mac versions (VST and AU plugin; universal binary; requires OSX 10.5 or higher).
- 0 ms latency (if the host software supports it).
- Additional HF filter for 88 & 96 kHz for smoother sound.
- Fixed an exotic bug where programs were not loaded properly.
AkustiX for Windows and Mac (VST/AU) is available to purchase for 59 EUR. The update is free for all AkustiX customers.
More information: Tone2 / AkustiX Enhancer
G-Sonique has announced the Monitor MSX5 headphone monitoring system, a spatial effect plug-in for Windows.
G-Sonique Monitor MSX5 VST plug-in moves these basic spatial processing principles/algorithms forward and offers a comfortable and precise way of mixing on your headphones. (all used algorithms were fine-tuned for professional mixing purposes).
G-Sonique Monitor MSX5 allows for comfortable and precise mixing on your headphones.
Monitor MSX5 features
- Simulation of monitor rotation angle and distance.
- Center balance attenuates level of phantom center to hear wider stereo signal.
- Main volume controls output volume of the complete system.
- Monitor/Speaker simulations for (Bass) Woofer size and (Treble) Tweeter sharpness/sound aggression.
- Control dry (pure headphone sound) and wet (monitor sound simulation) signal.
Monitor MSX5 for Windows (VST) is available to purchase for the introductory price of 39 EUR for the first 50 customers (regular 45.90 EUR).
More information: G-Sonique / Monitor MSX5
Maggot Software has announced Spanner, a powerful surround channel manager, panner, remapper and downmix plugin for AVID Pro Tools.
It is the result of years of personal frustration with the Pro Tools panner and bussing setup and solves many of the common complaints about the surround workflow in Pro Tools.
If you ever work in surround you’ll appreciate this plugin I’m sure, but if mixing-in-the-box is your thing you’re going to see this as a major step forward.
- True surround panner.
- Up and down-sizes multiple track formats.
- Infinitely flexible folddown with Audiosuite support.
- Pre-fade lfe send.
- Panner window follows track selection.
- Post-pan meters in mix and edit windows.
- Double-precision, low CPU overhead.
Spanner for Mac (AAX) is available to purchase for the introductory price of $199 USD through April, 2012 (regular $249 USD).
More information: Maggot Software / Spanner
Tonebytes has updated the Pedals free effect plug-in for Windows to version 0.91.
Pedals — is a VST effect plug-in for Windows, designed for processing electric guitar and bass. It is also possible to process other audio sources for a variety of artistic techniques.
For more convenience, Pedals’ GUI simulates real devices for sound processing: guitar pedals, amplifiers, speakers, etc. There are a total of 20 models of pedals, 2 amps, 7 speakers models and 3 rack units. These devices are not a copy of the real-life models, each with their own sound, but their working principles are identical.
Changes in Pedals v0.91
- New: preset manager now has ability to patch name editing.
- New: new effect pedal – Autopanner.
- Some minor bugfixes.
Pedals for Windows (VST) is available as freeware.
More information: Tonebytes / Pedals
IOSONO has introduced Anymix, an innovative surround mixing plug-in for Windows and Mac.
Anymix is the perfect solution for an easy, yet precise creation of surround mixes. It offers a wealth of features for individual panning and high-quality upmixing. The plug-in comes with a broad selection of up- and downmix preferences tailored to be used in post-production, broadcast, music and game sound design. Anymix doesn’t only redistribute audio material to a certain output configuration, but gives you full control over important parameters, turning the mono or stereo mix into an ultra-realistic surround scenario.
- Ultra-realistic surround sound from mono up to 8.1 and backwards – With Anymix you can create up to 8.1 surround mixes from any format – and backwards! This can be done using the upmix feature or the built-in panning mode.
- Extensive channel movements and setup of single sources – Each input channel can easily be edited. You can adopt the position, delay, volume, LFE-gain and the spreading/size of the channel to your personal preferences. This enables you to create a setup tailored to your individual production.
- Distant-dependant adjustment of loudness and timbre* – To create immersive mixes even faster, Anymix Pro allows you to automatically change gain, delay and a shelf EQ according to the distance of the audio channel to the listener. This can be used to create a sense of distance automatically without automating these parameters in your DAW.
- Flexible and easy upmix – The built-in upmix feature can be used to convert between different input and output formats. Using Anymix Essential, you can choose one of the industry-standard formats from the dropdown menu. Activate the upmix mode and choose one of the presets to achieve the desired spatial impression. And, you’re done!
- Full control over ambience and direct signal share* – The Pro version allows you to separately control the share of direct and ambient sounds. All aspects of the upmix, including stage width, rotation, divergence, gain and more can be adjusted to your preferences and the final upmix can be moved freely within the listening area.
* only available in Anymix Pro
Anymix for Windows and Mac (VST/RTAS) is available to purchase for the introductory price of 150 EUR (Pro) / 80 EUR (Essential) until March 31, 2012. Prices include 19% VAT.
More information: IOSONO / Anymix
Games From Mars has released GFM Psypan and GFM Distort, two free effect plug-in for Windows.
GFM Psypan and Distort plugins
GFM Psypan features
- Usable “out-of-head” panning plugin.
- No filtering or reverb added.
- 64-taps sinc interpolation.
- Preserve transients.
- 2% CPU.
GFM Distort features
- Gritty, digital distortion with low aliasing.
- Best used with drums and acid leads.
- Probably not for guitars.
- 1% CPU.
Both VST plug-ins for Windows are available to download as freeware.
More information: Games From Mars
ToneBoosters has updated its audio processing effect plugins for Windows and Mac to version 2.5, including the release of TB OmniSone.
TB OmniSone is a zero-latency VST plugin to (re-)pan sound sources, even outside the loudspeaker base.
It also allows for increasing the perceived ‘width’ or spatial extent, and depending on the spectral content, may allow to subtly modify the perceived height of a source. Simply position the handles to change the desired position of each input signal, and use the mouse wheel to modify the spatial width.
Changes in ToneBoosters plug-ins v2.5
- All plugins
- VU meter peak hold values have been extended beyond the visible range for more accurate peak tracking.
- Various CPU load optimizations.
- All GUIs have been enhanced.
- Plugins are now compatible with OSX Lion.
- No more PPC support on Mac.
- Fixed mousewheel control of knobs with non-linear behavior.
- Added new auto-saturation module for better transparency and warmer character.
- Added quantizer/dithering/perceptual noise shaping modules for high-quality bit-depth reduction.
- CPU load reduction for true-peak / ISP detection.
- Output gain parameter changed to maximum output peak variable for more consistent gain handling.
- First release of OmniSone spatial image processor
- Complete re-design of de-essing algorithm – please check settings for DAW projects created with older DeEsser releases.
- DeEsser now functions indepedent of signal levels (as opposed to a multi-band compressor approach).
- Added GUI elements to visualize the detected amount of sibilance.
- Added control to change amount of de-essing independent from threshold/sensitivity.
- Listen mode now only passes the removed sibilance as output.
- EBULoudness and EBUCompact
- Resolved plugin reset issue in some hosts when stopping playback.
- Removed gating mechanism from ATSC A/85 mode for ATSC standard compliance.
- CPU load reduction.
- Compressor and EZCompressor
- Added a new vintage/classic compressor mode for colored compression, especially suitable for buss processing and to glue tracks together.
TB OmniSone for Windows and Mac (VST) is available to download at no cost.
More information: ToneBoosters / OmniSone