TC Electronic has announced a free software update for its DB6 intelligent loudness management solution.
With the new software, broadcasters are able to recall up to 16 Scene Presets by using GPI 1 and 2 together. DB6 offers a variety of ways to engage or disengage processing automatically, depending on format, level, physical inputs etc., while remote control can be achieved via Ethernet, GPI, SDI metadata, etc.
The GPI implementation of DB6 is very extensive, offering switching between up to 16 Scene Presets using only two of its four GPI inputs. Based on this, DB6 may be controlled during playout, or a simple preset selection panel can be designed with easy access to presets and/or emergency override.
Further, it is now possible to control DB6 by multiple instances of the ICON remote, adding a new level of operational flexibility to the platform. Finally, it is also possible to copy entire User preset Banks to or from files stored on a PC or Mac.
More information: TC Electronic / DB6
Holderness Media has launched Stereo Designer, an easy to use multi-purpose stereo shaper and Mid/Side processing effect for iPad.
Designed for use with the Audiobus app, Stereo Designer lets you easily sculpt the stereo image of input sources such as vocals, guitar and synths. Create unique wide stereo images, stereoize a mono input, apply mid/side processing and more.
Stereo Designer also works as an Inter-app Audio effect inside hosts such as AudioShare, Auria, Cubasis and Apple’s own Garageband.
Stereo Designer features
- Control individual Left/Right channel volume, panning, filter and more.
- Mid/Side (M/S) processing mode lets you adjust the volume, high and low pass filters for Mid and Side independently.
- Widen or reduce the stereo width of an input signal.
- Independent panning position of each channel, allowing for interesting stereo placement.
- Individual High and Low Pass filter per channel for additional stereo shaping.
- Phase (polarity) invert Left/Right channels.
- Isolate the Left or Right channel and manipulate the resulting mono signal.
- “Stereoize” mono inputs using individual channel delay + High and Low Pass filters.
- Sum Left and Right channels to mono.
Stereo Designer is now available on the App Store for $2.99 USD.
More information: Holderness Media / Stereo Designer
Variety Of Sound has launched SlickHDR, a free “Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor” effect plug-in for Windows.
Technically speaking, SlickHDR contains a coupled network of three dynamic processors with two of them running in a “stateful saturation” configuration and one based on look-ahead processing.
Fixed amounts of the unprocessed signal are then injected into the network at several specific points and also mixed back into the networks output.
Being networked, all processors are highly interacting with each other and this is utilized to cope with a wide variety of sound (sic!) to balance the perceived audio dynamic range.
- Balances the perceived global vs. local micro dynamics of any incoming audio.
- Creates a rich in contrast, detailed and clearly perceived image which translates way better across different listening environments.
- Provides a convenient workflow by simply adjusting three dynamic processors to show a roughly same load.
- Offers further and detailed control about overall tone and release time behavior.
SlickHDR is available to download as a freeware VST effect plug-in for Windows.
More information: Variety Of Sound / SlickHDR
Sony Creative Software has launched version 2.0 of its Sound Forge Pro audio editing software for Mac.
Generate flawless audio files with Sound Forge™ Pro Mac. New features include in-depth metering utilities, top-tier vocal processing, and the freestanding Convrt™ Batch Processing Automation Tool.
Seamless integration with SpectraLayers™ Pro 2 provides the finishing touch, delivering the ultimate in waveform and spectral editing program integration. Employ Sound Forge Pro Mac in your studio workstream and open smooth new pathways to audio excellence in OS X.
Changes in Sound Forge Pro Mac 2.0
- Convert Batch Processing Automation Tool. A freestanding utility for mass file format conversions, plug-in signal and effects processing treatments, and file metadata attachments including art. Convrt can handle repetitive chores in the background while recording and editing audio in the Sound Forge Pro Mac workspace.
- Interoperability with SpectraLayers Pro 2.1. Transfer audio data between Sound Forge Pro Mac and SpectraLayers Pro and experience the thrill of working freely across the world’s premiere waveform and spectral editing applications.
- iZotope Nectar Elements. The included Nectar Elements plug-in makes vocal treatment a snap. Get great results quickly by loading one of Nectar’s professionally designed Style presets and then customizing your sound by adjusting dedicated controls.
- Loudness Meters. Win the volume war with new metering options. EBU R128/CALM (Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation Act) compliant metering helps you follow the new rules while maximizing the dynamic range potential of your audio.
- Event Mode Improvements. Convert regions to events, lock event markers, region markers, and envelope points to events, and automatically ripple successive events forward in time while editing.
- FLAC file format support. Generate files in this popular lossless format that features space-saving compression and comprehensive metadata-handling capabilities.
- Auto Trim/Crop tool. Automatically remove unnecessary silence in a sound file while fading the edges of program segments in and out with user-controlled fade lengths.
Sony has also updated its SpectraLayers Pro software application for audio spectrum editing to version 2.1.
The SpectraLayers Pro 2.1 update features seamless interoperability with Sound Forge Pro Mac 2, an efficient reverb removal process, an improved noise reduction algorithm, expanded noise removal process options, and user interface improvements that make this update a must have.
Take advantage of the power of SpectraLayers Pro and enjoy full integration with the entire Sound Forge Pro line on both Mac and PC platforms.
Sound Forge Pro 2 for Mac is available to purchase for $299.95 USD; SpectraLayers Pro costs $399.95 USD. Both are bundled in the Audio Master Suite for $499.95 USD.
More information: Sony Creative Software
iMusicAlbum has launched version 2.0 of the Audio Mastering application for Apple’s iPad.
The first fully functional professional quality audio mastering application for iPad. For everyone who wants to take their final mixes to the next level.
Based on high-quality sound processing algorithms, this application turns your iPad into a real mastering studio.
Audio Mastering 2.0 comes with some new color schemes, including this light one.
Changes in Audio Mastering v2.0
- Fully updated 32-bit audio processing algorithms.
- Standard and Advanced processing control modes.
- Parametric equalizer in addition to graphic.
- Spectrum analyzer with switching connection points.
- Switchable crossover frequency for Stereo Imaging.
- Additional controls for Maximizer.
- Separate adjustment of input level reduction.
- Improved controls for presets.
- Compare mode for presets in each track.
- Inter-App Audio supported.
- New color schemes of visual interface.
- Built-in description updated.
The app is available to purchase for $12.99 USD.
More information: Audio Mastering
, audio interface
, Universal Audio
Posted in news
on Jan 24, 2014 - 0 comments
Universal Audio has introduced the Apollo Twin, a high-resolution desktop interface with realtime UAD processing.
This sleek 2×6 Thunderbolt audio interface for Mac combines the same high-quality 24/192 kHz audio conversion of Universal Audio’s acclaimed Apollo series with onboard Realtime UAD SOLO or DUO Processing. With its ergonomic desktop design, rugged aluminum construction, and front panel headphone and instrument connections, Apollo Twin allows Mac users to record in real time (at near-zero latency) through the full range of UAD Powered Plug-Ins available in the UA Online Store, including titles from Neve, Studer, Manley, Lexicon, API and more.
Apollo Twin also introduces new Unison™ technology.* Built on an integration between Apollo’s mic preamps and its onboard UAD plug-in processing, Unison unlocks the authentic tone of the most sought-after tube and solid state mic preamps — including their all-important impedance, gain stage “sweet spots,” and component-level circuit behaviors.
Apollo Twin will ship with Universal Audio’s “Realtime Analog Classics” UAD plug-in bundle, featuring legacy editions of the LA-2A Classic Audio Leveler, 1176LN Limiting Amplifier, and Pultec EQP-1A Program Equalizer, plus Softube Amp Room Essentials, the all-new 610-B Tube Preamp plug-in, and more.
Apollo Twin features
- Desktop 2×6 Thunderbolt audio interface with world-class 24-bit/192 kHz audio conversion.
- Realtime UAD Processing for tracking through vintage Compressors, EQs, Tape Machines, Mic Preamps, and Guitar Amp plug-ins with near-zero (sub-2ms) latency.
- Thunderbolt connection for blazing-fast PCIe speed and rock-solid performance on modern Macs.
- New Unison technology offers stunning models of classic tube and transformer-based mic preamps.
- 2 premium mic/line preamps; 2 line outputs; front-panel Hi-Z instrument input and headphone output.
- 2 digitally controlled analog monitor outputs for full resolution at all listening levels.
- Up to 8 channels of additional digital input via Optical connection.
- Includes “Realtime Analog Classics” UAD plug-in bundle, featuring Legacy editions of the LA-2A Classic Audio Leveler, 1176LN Limiting Amplifier, and Pultec EQP-1A Program Equalizer, plus Softube Amp Room Essentials, 610-B Tube Preamp, and more.
- Runs UAD Powered Plug-Ins via Audio Units, VST, RTAS & AAX 64.
- Available with either UAD-2 SOLO or UAD-2 DUO DSP processing onboard.
Apollo Twin is now shpping worldwide with estimated street prices of $699 USD (SOLO) and $899 USD (DUO).
More information: Universal Audio / Apollo Twin
* Unison Technology coming to Apollo DUO and Apollo QUAD in early 2014.
Universal Audio has announced its Unison technology, an audio processing breakthrough that enables the popular Apollo Audio Interfaces’ onboard mic preamps to sound and behave like the world’s most sought-after tube and solid state preamps.
More than three years in the making, Unison is an exclusive analog/digital integration system that gives the user continuous, realtime, bi-directional control and interplay between Apollo’s physical hardware and UAD software mic preamp models. With Unison, the Apollo mic preamp’s analog impedance, gain stage sweet spots, and component-level circuit behaviors are adjusted in real time prior to analog-to-digital conversion to accurately emulate the target mic preamp model.
“Apollo was designed and built with mic preamp modeling in mind, and has included input impedance switching from the very beginning — every Apollo mic preamp is Unison-ready,” says Universal Audio CEO Bill Putnam Jr. “The UA 610-B Tube Preamp and EQ is the first of many Unison-enabled plug-ins for the UAD Powered Plug-Ins platform. It’s included with the new Apollo Twin desktop interface, and will be available for all Apollo customers in Q1.”
- An exclusive analog/digital integration system that’s already built into every Apollo mic preamp
- Enables Apollo mic preamps to sound and behave like the world’s most sought-after tube and solid state preamps — including their all-important impedance, gain stage sweet spots, and component-level circuit behaviors.
- Continuous, realtime, bi-directional control and interplay between Apollo’s physical hardware and UAD software preamp model.
- Requires an Apollo Interface, available from authorized dealers worldwide.
More information: Universal Audio / Apollo