Nucleus SoundLab has announced the release of the Open Source Drumkit, a truly public domain drum sample library created by Real Music Media.
The kit contains a kick, snare, hihat, ride, crash, 3 toms and a gong. Nucleus SoundLab has brought this kit to the Propellerhead Reason 5 ReFill format, of course as a 100% free product.
The Open Source Drumkit is heavily velocity-layered, with upwards of 20 layers on many of the kit elements. Of course, we’ve mapped these kits in Kong, for ease of use and great sound quality. Additionally, the OSDK has been sampled with a dry, unprocessed feel which is great for using Reason’s excellent effects to produce your own unique kit. We’ve also got some patches to get you started with unique kits, since the OSDK ReFill includes some incredible customized Combinator kits by Lewis Osborne. Additionally, there is a template kit with all the samples mapped – meant as a great starting point for your own patches.
Open Source Drumkit ReFill features
- 300+mb of raw 24-bit 44khz drum samples (compressed to ~150mb inside the ReFill).
- 755 wav files.
- 22 Custom Combinators by Lewis Osborne.
Note: This ReFill requires Reason 5+ in order to use the Combinator patches. Older versions of Reason can still load up the samples in NN-XT/19/Redrum.
The Open Source Drumkit is available to download at no cost by signing up for the Nucleus SoundLab newsletter.
More information: Nucleus SoundLab / Open Source Drumkit ReFill
, Real Music Media
, samples and sound libraries
Posted in news
on Dec 17, 2009
Real Music Media has announced it is now offering all its sample libraries at no cost.
For various reasons, not least of which is a desire to be courteous to past customers, we will be discontinuing the rex files, and the wave files are dithered down to 16/44.1 from 24/48. The Battery version of the Real Snare Drum is also discontinued.
People who REALLY NEED any of this discontinued stuff can, of course, contact us, and we can work something out at the old prices.
Real Music Media products include various loops libraries — Drum Sounds of the 60′s, Swing Jazz Drums, Synthetic Vortices, Endangered Rhythms, and Ritornelli, a multi-sampled vintage 1972 Slingerland Sound King snare drum — The Real Snare Drum, and The Taijiguy Mellotron, a collection of samples of a restored Mellotron M400S.
More information: Real Music Media
Related: bedroom producers blog
, de la Mancha
, Digital Redux
, Real Music Media
, sample player
, samples and sound libraries
Posted in news
on Jul 07, 2009
de la Mancha has announced the release of ballistic, a 15 slot drum sample player designed to get you making beats quickly without a million parameters to adjust.
de la Mancha ballistic – the little brother to erratic2
Simple but effective, it boasts flexible midi triggers, sample audition, sample tuning, 4 choke groups, mute/solo options, sample reverse, sample normalisation, a lofi option and several kits of samples donated by many generous sample providers such as Loopmasters, Zero-G, Digital-Redux, Goldbaby, Soniccouture, Real Music Media, Ronnie @ Rekkerd, sink, polyslax and bedroom producers
Even better, all proceeds of sales of ballistic will be donated to Cancer Research UK, helping them in their aim of beating cancer.
- Plays any 16, 24 or 32 bit stereo / mono WAV files from RAM for low CPU.
- 15 sample slots, each triggered by user-definable midi note.
- 4 choke groups, each slot can be assigned to a group and be cut by a group.
- Each sample can be tuned in tenths of semitones.
- Mute and solo for each sample.
- Volume and panning per sample.
- Sample reverse.
- Sample slot normalisation.
- Selectable mono/stereo.
- Lo-fi option.
- Sample audition button.
- Multi-out capable, 15 stereo outputs for routing to individual mixer channels in your host.
- 637 samples (76 MB) covering acoustic kits, vintage electronic, analogue synth, dubstep, hiphop, breakbeat, 8-bit, glitch, jazz and esoteric noises.
- Samples donated by Loopmasters, Zero-G, Digital-Redux, Goldbaby, Soniccouture, Real Music Media, Ronnie @ Rekkerd, sink, polyslax and bedroom producers.
- 21 presets covering various kits.
Ballistic is available a VST instrument for Windows PC for $10 USD. All money received from sales of ballistic will be donated to Cancer Research UK.
More information: de la Mancha
Real Music Media has released a free Kick drum supplement for the Real Snare Drum.
This is a small sample set of a 22 inch Slingerland Kick Drum of the same vintage as the Real Snare Drum.
Kick drum sample set features
- Velocity layers and round-robin switching.
- sfz format, mapped to the black keys (midi note numbers 61, 63, 66, 68, 70) between the keys used in the Real Snare Drum mapping.
- Combined mapping allows for the creation of extremely realistic-sounding beats with a minimum of effort.
- Controls with CC# assignments:
- CC# 27: amp eg decay time attenuation (default mode is no decay, i.e. the note plays to the end unaltered).
- CC# 28: amp eg sustain level attenuation (default mode is sustain=100%).
- CC# 29: amp eg release time attenuation (default mode is release=1.5+ seconds, i.e. the note plays to the end unaltered).
- CC# 30: gain control for kick drum.
You’ll need a sfz capable sampler/player to use this sample set. A free sfz player by rgc:audio is available from Cakewalk.
The free kick drum sample set can be downloaded at the bottom of The Real Snare page.
Visit Real Music Media for more information.
Real Music Media has released The Taijiguy Mellotron, a collection of samples taken from a 30 year old Mellotron M400S (#500).
The samples by Bernie Kornowicz include two complete sets:
- the full three octaves of the MkII 3 Violins
- the full 3 octaves of the MkII Combined Brass
Real Music Media has added sfz mappings with simple eg controls and a low pass filter for the Violins.
Visit Real Music Media for more information and a link to download the Taijiguy Mellotron samples.
Real Music Media has released Ritornelli Classical Guitar Loops, a collection of free guitar loops.
These loops are a sneak preview of a large projected set by Guitarist/Ambient musician Brent Rieland. They are recorded using a Royer R-121 and a Universal Audio LA-610 preamp. The guitar is of unknown origin.
Ritornelli Classical Guitar Loops features
- 63 loops (.wav format)
- Most of them are of uneven tempo, as is traditional in Classical and Flamenco playing (For this reason they are neither Acidized nor sliced into Rex2 files).
Download these and other free samples from Real Music Media.
Real Media Music has released Synthetic Vortices, a sample package of 90 ambient loops.
Synthetic Vortices features
- Each of these seamless loops are a miniature soundscape, presented in a variety of moods to complement any composition that needs a sophisticated electronic backdrop.
- The loops were recorded using only an Ensoniq Fizmo and a Great River MP-2NV preamp going straight into a Pro Tools HD System.
- Each Loop is supplied with an sfz mapping that adds amplifier eg controls, and high pass and low pass resonant filters with thier own lfos.
Synthetic Vortices is available for download for $5 USD.
Visit Real Media Music for more information.
Real Music Media has released the Real Snare Drum, a sampled vintage 1972 Slingerland Sound King snare in the sfz format.
The Real Snare Drum is the first in a new line of multisampled drums which offer intuitive and playable mappings that match the profile of the instrument, realistic microphone combinations with intuitive controls, and a consistent ‘dead room’ recording methodology.
Real Snare Drum features
- Sampled using two Beyer M201 dynamic microphones (top and bottom close mics) and two Oktava MK 012 small diaphragm condenser microphones (stereo overheads in an XY pattern).
- Mapped in an innovative and playable configuration in the sfz format.
- The drum is sampled in 4 zones: center, 3 inch radius, 6 inch radius, and rim shot.
- Each zone has separate left and right hand samples mapped in an obvious and intuitive way.
- Round robin and velocity switching within each zone.
- Each microphone has its own virtual channel, controlled by its own assigned midi CC#.
- The instrument has decay, sustain and release controls each assigned to their own CC#.
The Real Snare Drum is available as a download for $8 USD.
Visit the Real Snare Drum page for more information and audio demos.