Bremmers Audio Design has released version 7.5 of its MultitrackStudio audio/MIDI multitrack recording software for Windows and Mac.
MultitrackStudio is a virtual multitrack studio. You can record and play audio and MIDI tracks, edit them, and mixdown to stereo. The straightforward and uncluttered user-interface has been designed with tape-based recording in mind. Mixer sections are oriented horizontally (as opposed to the more familiar vertical layout), allowing them to include an editor as well. The editing tools are aimed at correcting mistakes. MIDI tracks have been made to look like audio tracks as much as possible.
Changes in MultitrackStudio v7.5
- MultitrackStudio Remote for iPad — The new MultitrackStudio Remote app for iPad turns your iPad into a powerful remote control for MultitrackStudio:
- Control the transport, including VariSpeed, markers and cycling.
- Add and control tracks, groups, effect returns (up to 3) and the master section.
- Add and control effects and MIDI instruments.
- Toggle the Monitor / Punch / Sound On Sound buttons.
- Control the click track and the MIDI Keyboard Splitter.
- More effect slots — Mixer sections can now optionally have 6 effect slots rather than just 3. There’s an ‘Effect Slots’ setting the the Preferences window. 6 slot songs are fully compatible with 3-slot MultitrackStudio versions, old or new. The extra effects will appear in a Multi Effect.
- Half Solo — Double clicking a Solo button invokes ‘half solo’: other tracks will be attenuated by 12dB rather than muted fully. The Solo button reads ‘H’ in half solo mode.
- VST/AU effect midi output recording — Some plugins generate MIDI data (“MIDI Guitar” for example). This MIDI output is now merged with the data coming from MIDI input devices, so you can record it to a MIDI track.
- Sampler supports Modulation controller (#1).
- VSTi plugins: drum editor can use text file with instrument names.
- VST/AU output mixer has level meters.
- VST/AU output mixer supports multiple solo and half solo.
- Level meter of recording audio track shows peak level since transport start (dimmed segment).
- Mac version takes advantage of Retina displays.
- Practice Mode now works with speed-only VariSpeed mode (Pro Plus edition).
- Support for Mackie Control and HUI control surface level meters and transport counter.
- Improved pen (stylus) support: easier scrolling and optional onscreen keyboards.
- (Mac) Improved VST/AU compatibility.
- (Windows) Improved MIDI recording timing accuracy.
- Compatible with OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) and Windows 8.1.
- Various other improvements and bug fixes.
MultitrackStudio is available to purchase for $69 USD (Professional) / $119 USD (Pro Plus). The update is free for users who purchased MultitrackStudio after September 1st, 2012. Older versions can be upgraded for $23 USD (Professional) / $39 USD (Pro Plus). The MultitrackStudio Remote app is a free download at the App Store.
More information: Bremmers Audio Design
Hal Leonard Books has announced it is shipping Power Tools for Cubase 7, a book by Matthew Loel T. Hepworth.
Cubase is a program that transforms your computer into a complete recording studio, providing every button, knob, switch, and fader found in a hardware-based studio, plus a few extra controls that don’t normally exist in that realm. Cubase 7 offers practically unlimited tracks for musicians, producers, and music enthusiasts alike, limited only by the power of the host computer. With so many options, the processes of composing, recording, editing, mixing, and mastering can be challenging, but Power Tools for Cubase 7 will help the reader easily and efficiently take advantage of all that creative power and flexibility.
Power Tools for Cubase 7 was written with the new user in mind. First, you’ll learn the process of installation and proper studio configuration. Then, you’ll learn the foundations of rudimentary Cubase operations; how to avoid common mistakes; how to properly record and edit MIDI instrument and audio tracks, and how to use techniques that produce smoothly polished and powerful results. Finally, you’ll learn how to add mastering treatments for a professional-sounding, competitive, punchy, shiny, and loud mix!
The included DVD-ROM contains valuable supporting material and actual Cubase session files that add to the in-depth learning experience provided by Power Tools for Cubase 7.
The book is available to purchase for $39.99 USD.
More information: Hal Leonard / Power Tools for Cubase 7
Steinberg has released version 7.0.6 of the Elements, AI and LE editions of its Cubase digital audio workstation software.
The update focuses on visibility and workflow enhancements for MixConsole, including the ability to display channel names in two rows as well as one-click plug-in access.
The new version also includes audio stability improvements under Windows, improved UAD compatibility as well as several resolved issues in different areas.
The update is now available for download from the Steinberg website.
Steinberg has also announced the release of a trial version of Cubase Elements, the smallest retail version of its Cubase music production software.
Functionally identical with the retail version, the trial version will run for 30 days, so there’s plenty of time to record audio, try out the powerful recording, editing and mixing tools as well as the included instruments and effect plug-ins.
Try the new MixConsole with its integrated EQ/Dynamics channel strip modules, the Chord Track for easy chord management or the VST Amp Rack guitar tone suite and experience the highly intuitive Cubase workflow relished by professionals around the globe.
No registration is required. Just download, install and enter the world of Cubase.
More information: Steinberg / Cubase
n-Track Software has released version 3.1 of its n-Track Studio app for iOS, now including MIDI support and inter-app audio.
n-Track Studio is an audio and MIDI multitrack recorder that turns your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch into a full-fledged recording studio. You can record and playback a virtually unlimited number of audio and MIDI tracks, mix them during playback and add effects.
Changes in n-Track Studio v3.1
- Support for inter-app audio instruments. Add an instrument app with the + button on the toolbar.
- Mixdown can now be saved in 16, 24, 32 or 64 bit audio format.
- Choose microphone on multi-mic devices and set microphone polar pattern (e.g. cardioid, omnidirectional).
- AudioCopy & Paste updated to SDK version 2.[v3.0]
- Fixed glitches on some instruments when playing with sustain on.
- Fixed crash when calling ‘Open track in…’ command, which now appears long tapping on an audio track.
- Fixed removing an instrument may alter output setting of other MIDI tracks.
- Fixed glitches changing song loop interval during playback.
- Built-in metronome with programmable tempo changes [v3.0]
- EQ now appears as a popup window [v3.0]
- 2D frequency spectrum sonogram [v3.0]
- iOS 7 compatibility [v3.0]
- New features available via in-app purchase:
- MIDI tracks with builtin multi instrument synth.
- MIDI editing in the Piano Roll window.
- On screen MIDI keyboard.
- Support for external MIDI keyboard and inter-app MIDI.
- 3D frequency spectrum.
- Support for multiple audio output when using compatible USB devices.
n-Track for iOS is available to purchase for $6.99 USD. MIDI features are available as in-app purchase for $3.99 USD, 3D frequency spectrum available with the Pro-Features pack for $5.99 USD, and the 8 Effects pack costs $1.99 USD.
More information: n-Track / n-Track Studio
Image-Line has released version 1.2 of FL Studio Mobile for Android and version 2.2 for iOS.
Changes in FL Studio Mobile Android v1.2
- HD graphics for 1080p and 720p devices (removes side bars).
- Sequencer timing accuracy significantly improved.
- Fixes various expansion file download and mounting errors.
- Fixes wrong sample mapping after zip instrument import.
- Minor other bug fixes and performance improvements.
Changes in FL Studio Mobile iOS v2.2
- New features:
- MIDI start/stop slave and master.
- Input gain slider in the recording window (visible with external mic connected).
- AudioCopy 2.0 support (iOS 7 compatible).
- WAV export option to write 1 file per track.
- Performance & speed:
- Major performance improvements (play more tracks without audio dropouts).
- Audio file editing is up to 5x faster.
- Reverb quality and performance improved.
- Other improvements:
- Audio recordings are placed more accurately.
- Setup latency options removed, it’s now always at minimum.
- Filenames can now contain non-latin characters.
- Inbox folder is no longer present, files are moved to the top level folder.
- .flml (drum loop) files can be opened from other apps like Mail or Safari.
- Overall stability greatly improved.
The feature-set of the Android and iOS versions will be harmonized in future updates, including the addition of the following features to the Android version:
- Audio tracks and wave editor
- Background audio (playback while the app runs in the background)
- SoundCloud upload
- In-app shop
While projects, .flm format, are compatible between Android and iOS, if audio tracks are present they are ignored. If instruments are not available the MIDI data is loaded and the a default instrument is used.
FL Studio Mobile is available to purchase for $19.55 USD (Android) / $19.99 USD (iOS HD version).
More information: Image-Line / FL Studio Mobile