Sonnox has released updates for the Mac versions of Oxford DeBuzzer and Oxford SuprEsser, two effect plug-ins for PC and Mac.
Changes in Oxford DeBuzzer AU v1.0.1/VST v1.0.2
- Fixes crash in Snow Leopard.
Changes in Oxford SuprEsser AU v1.1/VST v1.0.1
- Added new installer technology. Separated AU installer from VST version.
- Fixed crash in Logic when instantiating or re-opening a closed GUI.
- Fixed problem with .aupreset installation.
- Zoom now implemented to original spec.
More information: Sonnox
Sonnox has announced the release of Sonnox Restore, a suite of three plug-ins designed to accurately restore audio recordings that are impaired.
Restore represents a quantum leap beyond previous restoration plug-in technology with its advanced algorithms and novel features that allow fast and extremely effective removal of pops, clicks, crackles, scratches, hum, buzzes and extraneous background noise from virtually any recording.
Capable of exceptionally high quality audio repairs, the three plug-ins are intuitive and easy to use, with each interface providing detailed graphical feedback, benefiting the user by saving time which of course is critical in the post-production process.
Sonnox Restore features
- Three sections with individual thresholds and controls: DePop, DeClick and DeCrackle
- Event display gives intuitive visual feedback of energy and duration of detected events
- ‘Exclude Box’ to select events that should not be repaired
- Dialogue Mode that allows two separate sets of control settings distinguished by input level
- Excitation displays to aid accurate setting of threshold controls
- Three audition modes, including option to listen to only removed events
- Advanced algorithms for accurate detection and high quality repair
- High performance hum and buzz removal using advanced algorithms
- Separate Detect and Remove Sections for intuitive workflow
- Scalable high resolution FFT of input signal shows strongest harmonics and removal filter
- Very accurate setting of fundamental over 3 frequency ranges
- Integrating frequency display shows strength of fundamental
- Tracking mode can be set to Automatic or Fast to follow fundamentals that wander in frequency, or to Freeze for fundamentals that vary in amplitude
- Choice of removal filters: Comb for general purpose narrow removal over many harmonics, or Parametric EQ for a more musical removal over a small set of harmonics
- Two audition modes, including option to listen to the removed buzz
- High performance noise removal using advanced algorithms
- Separate DeHisser, Detect and Remove Sections for intuitive workflow
- High resolution FFT of input signal showing noise profile
- Efficient DeHisser for preparation before wide-band noise reduction
- Detector noise profile can be set to automatic, freeze or manual
- Noise threshold and reduction are controllable in frequency bands using adjustable bias curve
- Two audition modes, including the option to listen to the removed noise
- Warmth control for sweetening after noise removal
- Make-up gain for true A/B comparisons
Sonnox Restore is available to purchase for Windows PC and Mac (VST/AU/RTAS), priced at £1,195 GBP. Sony Restoration Tools owners can exchange their licence for £895 GBP until February 28, 2010.
More information: Sonnox / Sonnox Restore
Sony Creative Software has released version 10.0a of Sound Forge Pro, an audio editor for Windows PC.
Sound Forge™ Pro 10 software efficiently and reliably provides audio editors and producers complete control over all aspects of audio editing and mastering. Whether in the studio or field, it’s the ultimate all-in-one production suite for professional audio recording and mastering, sound design, audio restoration, and Red Book CD creation. New features in Sound Forge Pro 10 include precise event-based editing, integrated disc-at-once CD burning, musical instrument file editing and processing, and pristine audio conversion and time stretching.
Changes in Sound Forge Pro v10.0a
- You can now edit samples in musical instrument files. Select the sample you want to edit, and then choose Edit > Event > Edit to open the selected sample in a new data window. After editing, you can save your changes back to the musical instrument file or to a different format.
- Disc-at-once workflow improvements:
- Audio moves with CD tracks when dragging CD tracks with the Edit tool.
- CD tracks move with events when dragging events with the Event tool.
- CD Tracks can now be locked to audio/events using Options > Lock Audio and CD Tracks.
- Added automation support to the élastique Timestretch plug-in.
- You can now edit the Original Tempo setting in the élastique Timestretch plug-in.
- Scrollbars have been added to the Plug-In Chainer.
- When you have data windows maximized, the window title is now italicized during playback to indicate which window is playing.
- Improved AAC file support.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Sound Forge Pro from opening or saving MPEG-4 audio when QuickTime 7.6.4 is installed.
- Fixed a bug that could cause corruption in Broadcast Wave Format metadata.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the waveform from being displayed properly within a smooth fade-in curve when zoomed out.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the élastique Timestretch plug-in to crash on 32-bit PCs that do not support SSE2.
- Fixed a bug that could cause markers to shift after using the iZotope 64-bit SRC plug-in.
- Fixed a bug that prevented read-only project files (*.frg) from opening properly.
- Fixed a bug that could cause Save to truncate tailing silence in certain scenarios.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Mix/Replace from displaying the entire mixed result.
- Fixed a bug that could cause short clicks at the end of certain preview operations.
More information: Sony Creative Software / Sound Forge Pro
, compressor and limiter
, effect plugins
, panning and spatial
, Wave Arts
Posted in news
on Oct 14, 2009
Wave Arts has released version 5.49 of Power Suite and Master Restoration, two effect plug-in bundles for PC and Mac.
This update features official Snow Leopard support on Mac and a number of other fixes and enhancements.
Changes in Power Suite / Master Restoration v5.49
- (Mac) Snow Leopard compatible (fixed graphics glitch).
- Fixed problem with TrackPlug menus sometimes not working.
- Fixed TrackPlug Height knob not reverting to default value properly on certain bands.
- Fixed Mac installer issue (running it the first time would result in Resource Not Found error).
- Fixed occasional graphics glitch in MultiDyanamics in which hi/lo arrows appear above frequency display.
- Fixed pops in MAS versions when using pre-render mode or bouncing.
- Fixed RTAS/AudioSuite window bugs (wrong offset, controls behaving strangely if RTAS/AS window open at same time).
- Fixed issue with vintage RMS compression causing constant attenuation for thresholds below -48 dB.
- Added peak input/attenuation level displays in TrackPlug.
More information: Wave Arts
Sonnox has announced it will be introducing a revolutionary suite of audio restoration plug-ins at their 127th AES Convention Booth #126, at NY’s Javits Center October 9-12.
Sonnox Restore is a suite of three innovative plug-ins: Oxford DeBuzzer, Oxford DeClicker and Oxford DeNoiser, designed to accurately restore impaired audio recordings.
Sonnox Restore – DeBuzzer, DeClicker and DeNoiser
Developed over an exhaustive 18-month R&D program, the Sonnox Restore suite represents a quantum leap beyond previous restoration plug-in technology. Its advanced algorithms allow fast and extremely effective removal of pops, clicks, crackles, scratches, hum, buzzes and extraneous background noise from virtually any recording. All three plug-ins provide detailed graphical feedback, and include novel features new to the restoration field such as a specialized dialogue mode in the DeClicker.
“Sonnox Restore represents a genuine milestone for our company.” states Managing Director, Rod Densham. “As with all our products, emphasis on audio quality has been paramount throughout the design phase, and an additional focus has been speed and ease of use, which should be particularly beneficial in saving time for our post-production customers.”
The Sonnox Restore Suite will be available at a price of $1995 USD in the fall of 2009, and will be compatible with Pro Tools (RTAS), Audio Units and VST platforms.
More information: Sonnox
BIAS has announced the release of SoundSoap Pro 2, a major upgrade to the award-winning professional audio noise reduction and restoration software suite for Mac and Windows.
SoundSoap Pro 2′s comprehensive approach provides four advanced restoration tools — Broadband noise reduction; Click and Crackle removal; Hum removal; and a Noise Gate. SoundSoap Pro 2′s super intelligent broadband noise reduction features new adaptive algorithms from BIAS — offering far more power than most competing solutions, while maintaining its relatively low cost and ease of use.
New in SoundSoap Pro 2
- Adaptive Noise Reduction (ANR) and more — The addition of ANR to SoundSoap Pro 2 means users will have significantly greater power than ever before. Instead of navigating through a noisy file to find an area of isolated noise to learn, users can leverage the advanced algorithms of SoundSoap Pro 2 to automatically extract a noise profile where previously impossible. The fact that the noise profile can be automatically and dynamically re-learned is also a significant improvement over other solutions in cases where the broadband noise changes over time. With changes in background noise being a common problem – especially in audio for film and broadcast – SoundSoap Pro 2′s super intelligence should be a welcome addition to any media tool kit. With minimal input from the user, SoundSoap Pro 2′s new super-intelligent ANR offers results previously unattainable in lower cost software products, while in many cases providing comparable results to far more expensive hardware solutions. SoundSoap Pro 2 also includes new tool tips that make the user interface easier than ever, broadband parameter value display for improved precision, Pro Tools 8 support, and additional enhancements.
- Audio Restoration, Archiving, & Delivery Applications — Whether transferring music or dialog from analog tape, vinyl LPs, wax cylinders, or other media, SoundSoap Pro 2′s comprehensive toolset offers excellent results while still being relatively affordable easy to use. Common problems such as “hum”, “tape hiss”, and “vinyl pops” can be easily resolved using SoundSoap Pro 2 – making it ideal for audio restoration and archiving. For music producers and mastering engineers, SoundSoap Pro 2 can help ensure higher quality productions – particularly for digital re-mastering of analog material. Film and video editors can take advantage of SoundSoap Pro 2 as well for reducing common background noise issues – particularly from location footage or when archiving vintage reels. With SoundSoap Pro 2, broadband noise issues associated with telephone and/or field interviews can also be easily remedied. Podcast producers and Internet content creators can also employ SoundSoap Pro 2 to greatly reduce distracting background noise and hum – often prevalent in podcasts and videos uploaded to popular sites such as YouTube.
- Integrated Approach to Audio Restoration — Rather than splitting the restoration process into separate plug-ins, SoundSoap Pro uses a unique, integrated interface that allows the user to access any tool quickly and easily from within a single plug-in window. Tool navigation tabs are labeled (left to right) “Hum & Rumble”, “Click & Crackle”, “Broadband”, and “Noise Gate” – reflecting the suggested order in which the operations should be performed to obtain the best possible results. The tabs provide convenient parameter feedback, allowing the user to monitor the primary tool settings globally – regardless of which tool is currently selected.
- Multi-band NR: Speed, Usability & Performance with a Minimized Chance of Artifacts — SoundSoap Pro’s approach to multi-band noise reduction focuses on speed, usability, and performance. SoundSoap Pro combines 512 frequency bands into 12 discrete threshold and reduction sliders – delivering dramatically enhanced efficiency, ease-of-use, and superb sonic results. The sliders are easily grouped, and 12 vibrant level meters assist in threshold adjustments. When used with SoundSoap Pro’s additional controls, even the toughest broadband noise can be easily and dramatically reduced, while greatly minimizing the chance of any inadvertent artifacts. With SoundSoap Pro 2, users can choose between two traditional noise profile learning options – snapshot and timed – plus new ANR options for automated dynamic noise profile analysis and noise floor extraction. Whether reducing broadband noise from air conditioners, fans, engines, or other sources, SoundSoap Pro 2 provides excellent results with minimal effort.
- Enhanced Visual & Audio Monitoring Options — SoundSoap Pro’s tool area features a unique, global, real-time spectrogram – providing constant visual monitoring of spectral noise that may be in need of treatment. Furthermore, users can easily hear the noise they are reducing by selecting “Noise Only”. These two features help SoundSoap Pro 2 users ensure that undesired noise is effectively suppressed while desired signals are unaffected by the restoration process.
- Major Plug-in Host Compatibility — SoundSoap Pro 2 is designed for every major plug-in host on Mac OS and Windows computing platforms. The roster includes Peak (VST / Audio Units), Pro Tools (RTAS / AS), Logic / SoundTrack / GarageBand / Digital Performer (Audio Units), Nuendo / Cubase / Sonar / SoundForge / Audition / Premiere / Vegas (VST), and many other compatible hosts.
BIAS SoundSoap Pro 2 is available for purchase for a suggested retail price of $599 USD. Existing SoundSoap Pro customers will be able to upgrade to SoundSoap Pro 2 at $99 USD.
More information: BIAS
Sony Creative Software has announced the release of Sound Forge Pro 10, a professional digital audio production suite for Windows.
Sound Forge Pro 10 new features include event-based editing, disc-at-once CD burning, iZotope™ 64-bit SRC™ (sample rate conversion), MBIT+™ dither (bit-depth conversion), musical instrument file processing, and the élastique Pro timestretch/pitch shift plug-in. In addition, Sound Forge Pro 10 software provides exclusive new enhancements, including customizable window layouts, metadata editing, performance optimizations, and interactive tutorials. These new features create a powerful and flexible audio production environment, increasing workflow and efficiency while consistently delivering the pristine audio quality the recording industry has come to expect from Sound Forge software.
New in Sound Forge Pro 10
- Event-based editing — Event-based editing is ideal for precise audio mastering, assembling project sketches, or laying out tracks for authoring disc-at-once CDs. In Sound Forge 10, users can quickly move, split, slip, and trim events, create fades, apply ASR envelopes and crossfades within in a single data window for more precise audio control.
- Integrated Disc-at-Once (DAO) CD burning — Integrated disc-at-once CD burning results in time savings and provides a more efficient workflow when generating Red Book compliant disc-at-once premasters of music suitable for professional replication. Perform full PQ code editing, create live-style CDs, add CD text and metadata, and use high-resolution source audio with precise conversion to Red Book audio.
- Zplane élastique Pro Timestretch DirectX® plug-in — The élastique time stretch and pitch shift plug-in provides better sounding audio when processing audio files. Users can also monitor and adjust settings while previewing in real-time, and select from various stretching methods that are tailored to their source audio including Pro, Soloist, and Efficient modes.
- iZotope 64-bit SRC (sample rate conversion) and MBIT+ dither (bit-depth conversion) — The iZotope 64-bit SRC utilizes a hybrid low pass filter design, resulting in pristine audio with less aliasing converting material from one sampling rate to another. The iZotope MBIT+ dither employs psychoacoustic methods to distribute noise into less audible ranges, resulting in improved audio and smoother fades when converting the bit rates of audio files.
- Musical instrument file processing (.DLS, .SF2, .GIG) — Sound Forge Pro 10 software opens, processes, and saves DLS, GigaStudio/GigaSampler, and SoundFont 2.0 musical instrument files. Users can view bank, instrument, note range, and sample information. Effects and processes can easily be added directly to samples.
- Customizable window layouts — Customizable window layouts are designed to maximize productivity by allowing users to create and save multiple unique interface layout configurations for single and dual monitor systems, and recall a window layout for specific editing tasks such as audio editing, CD layout, and multichannel file editing.
- Mastering Effects Bundle 2 powered by iZotope™ — The powerful bundle of audio mastering tools included with Sound Forge 10 is valued at over $200 and includes six professional plug-ins to expertly master and enhance audio production: Mastering EQ, Mastering Reverb, Multiband Compressor, Mastering Limiter, Stereo Imager, and Harmonic Exciter.
- Interactive tutorials — Sony Creative Software’s unique interactive tutorials provide walkthrough demonstrations of common features and functionality, including DAO CD burning, vinyl recording and restoration in order to help users spend less time learning and more time editing and mastering audio projects.
Sound Forge Pro 10 is available for an MSRP of $499 USD.
More information: Sony Creative Software
iZotope has released version 1.20 of RX, the audio restoration application/plug-in for Windows and Mac.
iZotope RX™ is the most complete audio restoration product on the market, a unique standalone application designed from the ground up to combat a range of audio problems. In addition to unique workflow features designed to help you get the best results, RX’s powerful tools can do processing that plug-in based restoration products simply cannot do. This paired with completely new processing technology results in cleaner, more natural sounding noise reduction and audio repair.
Changes in RX v1.20
- Support for markers in WAV and AIFF files in RX application.
- Manually edit noise profiles in Denoiser with envelope.
- Added visualization for Spectral Repair before/after regions in waveform/spectrogram display.
- Added visualization for Declipper thresholds in waveform/spectrogram display.
- Major optimizations to RX Denoiser Algorithms B and C.
- Added support for keyboard shortcuts which select a module’s preset and apply that module. Useful for quickly switching between module settings (for example when using Spectral Repair repeatedly on large files).
- Declipper threshold can now extend below -8 dB by zooming the histogram window.
- Many performance improvements throughout all of RX’s processing modules, especially when using RX plug-ins with small buffer sizes.
Visit iZotope for more information, audio demos, and a link to download a demo version of iZotope RX.