The Mixxx team has announced the final release of Mixxx 1.7.0, the open source DJ software that gives you everything you need to perform live mixes.
The result of countless contributions from developers all over the globe, Mixxx 1.7.0 features an overhauled MIDI mapping system with advanced scripting capabilities, improvements to vinyl control, and many other tweaks and optimizations.
Our brand new MIDI scripting engine allows both users and developers to easily add complex behaviour to their MIDI devices. Whether you’re looking to get more out of your existing controller or want to take full advantage of cutting edge hardware, our 1.7.0 release won’t disappoint you. If you’d like more information on MIDI scripting, please see our documentation.
Changes in Mixxx v1.7.0
- Improved MIDI device support:
- MIDI learning wizard
- MIDI mapping editor
- Upgraded, faster mapping system
- MIDI output now fully supported on Windows, OS X, and Linux.
- Added full support for the Stanton SCS.3d and SCS.1m on all platforms.
- Hercules MK2 and RMX improvements
- Added Mixman DM2 mappings for Linux and OS X.
- Vinyl Control:
- Scratching responsiveness improved, with needle-skip prevention option added.
- Signal quality indicators added to vinyl control preferences.
- Improved support for soundcards with multiple stereo inputs
- Convenience features:
- The default skin is now widescreen, and fits nicely on netbook sized screens.
- Stereo master VU meter added.
- Cue points are now saved in the library for each track, with “auto-recall” cue option added to preferences.
- Support for more platforms: 64-Bit Windows and a Universal OS X package for 10.4+!
- Over 100 bug fixes and more!
Mixxx is available as binaries for Windows, Mac and Linux, free of cost. The source code is available for download as well.
More information: Mixxx
Xylio has released version 1.3.3 of FutureDecks Pro, a professional DJ mixing software for Windows and Mac.
With FutureDecks Pro you can really mix your songs, nothing else needed but your imagination. Beat-matching is just a click away and also are seamless beat-aware loops, effects and many other things. All these thanks to a brand new audio engine.
Changes in FutureDecks v1.3.3
- lots of stability improvements.
- completely changed equalizer for much better audio quality and precision.
- greatly improved audio latency (Windows only).
- minor performance optimizations.
- video stability improved.
- improved drag&drop (you can drop files directly on a specific list or directly to the deck’s screen or jog-wheel).
- click on BPM value to edit (good for skins that don’t have a BPM Edit button).
- crossfader curve setting in config window.
- option to disable scratching when playing for some controllers (Hercules).
- changed structure of saved data/playlists/settings (look here on how to preserve all your data).
- disabling screensaver while running.
- several bugs corrected related to all controllers.
- Hercules controllers can now be used to browse/load songs.
- fixed loading OGG files.
- fixed loading of very large files.
- fixed a very serious crash when analyzing/loading files.
FutureDecks Pro is available for purchase for $99 USD / 79 EUR / 59 GBP.
Visit Xylio for more information.
, random posts
Posted in random posts
on Apr 28, 2009
Some interesting things I found recently:
# Todd Vanderlin | AR Scratching
Moving it in front of a camera, Todd Vanderlin uses a vinyl record equipped with an AR marker to manipulate music.
I was playing around with some AR markers the other day and came up with this idea. taking just a plain old vinyl record and attaching an AR marker to the label you can track the record in 3D space. The next question was, can you scratch the record? So by figuring out the velocity of the records rotation and applying it to the payback of the audio you can scratch.
… playback of course.
# SONiVOX | MIDI Solution for Google Android Mobile Phone Platform – SONiVOX audioINSIDE is an advanced, device-hardened audio synthesis solution with high quality MIDI audio capabilities used primarily to create interactive mobile gaming applications.
# Leadtowill: spring reverb
This was a cassette radio. I removed the motor etc and added an input to the amp section of the circuit, mounted a spring and converted the speaker to a driver with a knife – the result is a roomy sounding spring reverb.
Future additions —- a filter and feedback section, maybe make use of the radio section as a white noise generator…
djDecks, a computer mixing program for both beginning and professional DJ’s, has been updated to version 0.94.
This version brings support for the EKS Otus and the Stanton SCS.3d DaScratch. It also introduces a new tag database, which improves browsing speed and allows for dynamic playlists (based on queries) to be created. As always there have also been various other fixes and improvements.
Changes in djDecks v0.94
- Added: EKS Otus controller support
- Added: Stanton SCS.3d DaScratch controller support
- Added: Create and edit Smart Playlists (dynamically generated)
- Added: Option to disable tempocontrol while doing effects
- Added: Sampler can be controlled using HC-4500 controller
- Added: Support for Edcast Winamp plugin for streaming
- Added: Dump effect
- Improved: Completely new tag database (improves loading and browsing speed)
- Improved: Reading iTunes playlists is much faster now
- Improved: Compatibility with Denon HS-3700 controller
- Improved: Selecting and re-ordering columns in playlist can now be done by right-clicking the header
- Improved: Compatibility with 64-bit Windows versions
- Fixed: Some crashes that could occur with certain mp3, wma and wav files
- Fixed: BPM Detection utility stores settings correctly on Vista
- Fixed: Various sampler bugs
- Fixed: Problem with unicode characters in ogg and flac tags
djDecks is available for Windows PC for 117 EUR (~$154 USD). A demo version with all features of the full version is available for download here (stops working after 30 minutes of use).
Visit djDecks for more information.
9 Soundware has released Scratch, a collection of turntable loops by DJ Shiftee, winner of the 2007 DMC World Championships.
Along with being the titleholder in the prestigious event, he is also the winner of the 2003 DMC NYC (youngest champion ever, at age 17.) as well as a finalist for the DMC USA in both 2003 and 2004. In addition to being the winner of countless other DJ battles, he is also a member of the legendary Lo-Livez crew alongside members of The X-ecutioners and a highly acclaimed DJ that has opened for artists such as The Roots, Talib Kweli, and Aesop Rock, among many others. Literally being among the top DJs in the world, the musicality and virtuosity of his performances are simply jaw-dropping.
Needless to say, Shiftee could scratch like it’s nobody’s business. From simple, straightforward scratches which vibe up beats to vinyl madness at breakneck speeds, these loops will scratch the !@#$ out of your tracks!
- 78 loops (1 to 4 bars in length) at tempos 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, and 140 BPM.
- All 78 files (24-bit/44.1 kHz) have been meticulously sliced and turned into REX2 and Apple Loops files.
- 216 MB download contains all three formats and will work seamlessly with most popular applications including Apple Logic Pro/Express, Propellerheads Reason, Spectrasonics Stylus RMX, and Ableton Live.
Scratch is available for download for $19.99 USD (CD/DVD optional).
Visit 9 Soundware for more information and some audio demos.
9 Soundware has released DJ Shiftee: Extreme Turntablism, a collection of turntable and mixer feedback loops by DJ Shiftee, the 2007 DMC World Champion.
These loops are taken from performances recorded shortly after his 2007 DMC World domination. Armed with months’ worth of woodshedding and new techniques, here, he is in his finest form and exhibits his unhuman-like mastery of the turntables. Extreme Turntablism documents DJ Shiftee as, literally, the king of DJ battling. This collection of loops displays his mind-blowing musical ferocity, technically wizardry, as well as the ingenuity he puts into his craft.
DJ Shiftee: Extreme Turntablism features
- 212 loops (2 to 4 bars in length) at tempos 70, 80, 90, and 100 BPM.
- 166 files (the turntable loops) have been meticulously sliced and turned into REX2 and Apple Loops files.
- 24-bit/44.1 kHz in Wav, REX2 and Apple Loops.
- The 895 MB download contains all three formats and will work seamlessly with most popular applications including Apple Logic Pro/Express, Propellerheads Reason, Spectrasonics Stylus RMX, and Ableton Live.
DJ Shiftee: Extreme Turntablism is available as a digital download for $39.99 USD (optional backup CD or DVD).
Visit 9 Soundware for more information and audio demos.
Numark has announced that its NS7 premium performance controller will be available worldwide on March 24, 2009.
Numark and Serato have jointly developed NS7 to deliver an unprecedented degree of DJ software and hardware-control integration, delivering a completely new DJ experience. ITCH is Serato’s next-generation software, building on the award-winning Scratch LIVE engine, it is fully compatible with libraries, crates, loops and cue points created in Scratch LIVE.
NS7 key features
- High-resolution controller built for Serato ITCH and compatible with Scratch LIVE libraries.
- Direct-drive, motorized turntable platters with classic and modern feel settings.
- Includes Serato ITCH DJ software, fully pre-mapped.
- Audiophile-grade audio circuitry with mic and line inputs, system and cue outs.
- Extensive loop, cue, and track-access controls.
- Strip Search (patent pending) virtual-needle-drop control.
- Controls most MIDI applications without requiring a mouse or keyboard.
- Rugged, all-metal construction.
NS7 will be available from musical instrument and DJ retailers worldwide on March 24, 2009. The controller carries a U.S. retail price of $1,599 USD, and a street price of approximately $1,299.95 USD.
Visit the NS7 website for more information.
Theo Krueger has released Vinylator, a freeware vinyl noise emulation plug-in created with with SynthEdit.
It simply makes Vinyl scratching noises but does not process incoming audio.
Get your crackle on with Vinylator!
Vinylator is available as a freeware VST instrument for Windows PC. Download it here.