XILS-lab has announced the release of XILS 3 v2.0, an updated version of its authentic-sounding software emulation of the vintage EMS VCS3 portable analogue synthesizer.
The XILS 3 V2.0 not only emulates the Synthi (VCS 3) modular synthesizer, it also adds an emulation of the 256 Analog Sequencer, the natural companion of the VCS 3.
Is that all? No, of course, we added a SECOND Matrix, with 2 additional envelopes, one LFO, a detailed Sample and Hold module, and a Voltage processor…
And some input modules : Gate, Transient, Envelope Follower and Pitch Tracker to transform the XILS 3 into an advanced Effect Processor! This means hundreds of additional connections. Add to the pile the analog chorus with its three modes, the analog delay and the phaser… the picture emerges.
XILS 3 v2.0 features
- 6 Oscillators grouped in 3 pairs, with WaveShaping (on sine wave, saw, triangle and square).
- 1 Noise Oscillator (With Noise color).
- 1 Analog Filter, Non Linear and zero delay Behaviors, with 3 Modes (12/18/24 dB LowPass).
- 3 Trapezoidal Envelope Generators, Looping EG in the time of analog (Switchable to ADSR).
- 2 Polyphonic LFOs (including 1 Oscillator acting as LFO at audiorate).
- Polyphonic Ring Modulator.
- 2 independent outputs feeding the Stereo Bus, each with one analog Lp/Hp filter.
- Programmable Joystick Vector Controller (up to 32+32 modulation targets).
- Polyphonic Sequencer with 3 independent lines, Slew rates, 3 recording modes.
- Sequencer can behave as modulation source.
- Pitch Tracker, Envelope Follower, Transient, Gate, Sample & Hold Modules.
- Chorus, Delay, Spring Reverb.
- 6 Play modes (including Unison 2/4/6), Polyphonic and mono Portamento/Glissando/Legato, 2 different Keyboard Scaling, Polyphonic Aftertouch and VCA handling.
- Hundreds of presets made by worldwide famous Sound Designers.
- Preset Database Engine (Find the right patch in a flash, create your own tags).
- Comprehensive manual with a getting started and tutorial sections.
- Instrument or Effect plug-in.
XILS 3 is available for purchase for the introductory price of 120 EUR until May 1st, 2014 (regular 149 EUR). The XILISTICS sound bank for XILS 3 with 160-plus presets (25 EUR value) is included with this offer. XILS 3 requires eLicenser or iLok.
More information: XILS-lab / XILS 3
Homegrown Sounds has announced the release of Kosmology Evolution, a new sample library for Native Instruments Kontakt.
The Second Kosmology Installment has arrived, created exclusively for Kosmology, the advanced Sequencing system for Kontakt 5. In comparison to Awakenings it has a slightly harder edge, and also includes a few more FX type sounds with lots of movement which are inte resting when modulating the Sample Start Position. It was designed using a DSI Evolver and takes advantage of both the Analog and the Digital side of this amazing instrument. All sounds were created from scratch for this collection and definitely bring the Evolvers unique sound into Kosmology for Sequencing Fun.
All 200 instruments are multi-sampled, using 4 samples per instrument at 24-bit using pure synthesis with very few effects. For the most part they have the Filter Wide Open so they can be upfront and powerful, whilst they can be tamed easily using Kosmology itself. Whilst most sounds are chromatically useful, there are a few effect, detuned and drop instruments scattered throughout the collection to add some nice surprises and interests whilst Wave Sequencing. Fifty new Presets are added using Evolution which adds to the existing 70+ Kosmology presets (all Kosmology presets can be loaded into any Kosmology based Instrument)
Also included are Kosmology Instruments for both Kosmos Classics and Infekted if you own either of these collections!
Homegrown Sounds has also updated Kosmology to version 1.1, which is now available to download to Awakenings users.
Changes in Kosmology v1.1
- Fixed a bug when randomizing the Synth Sections where the playing sequence would not update the filter type correctly until a new Sequence was triggered.
- Added ‘Kosmology Lite’ Instruments – These use just synth A for a more spacious sound and use less CPU than the full Kosmology (better for intensive Polyphonic Sequencing). They can load the standard Kosmology Presets but anything relating to Synth B is either disabled or remapped.
- Impulse response Type is no longer randomized when using the Global Randomizer for a single Instance.
- Added 50 new presets for ‘Evolution’ – All Kosmology Presets can be used in any Kosmology Instrument, even though the samples will be different.
- Added Load and Save buttons to the Browser panel to make Saving Presets easier without having to go into the Master Menu.
Kosmology Evolution is available for the introductory price of $40 USD (regular $65 USD).
More information: Homegrown Sounds / Kosmology Evolution
Image-Line has released version 11.1 of its FL Studio music production software for Windows.
FL Studio 11.1 includes support for the FREE and hugely popular Image-Line Remote Android and iOS MIDI remote controller application and a new FREE synthesizer MiniSynth, that also works as a crossover synth with FL Studio Mobile. We think we have the free thing covered :)
Changes in FL Studio v11.1
- Most plugins updated (bugfixes).
- Image-Line Remote for Android (Google Play) and iOS (iTunes Apps) updated.
- MiniSynth free synth is included.
- FL Studio Mobile import updated.
- Launchpad support updated.
- DirectWave import support updated.
- Bugfixes as reported since the last version, FL Studio 11.0.5.
FL Studio 11.1 is free for existing customers under the Lifetime Free Update policy. New Image-Line customers can purchase FL Studio with a 10% discount here.
More information: Image-Line / FL Studio
Tracktion Software Corporation has released version 5.2.4 of its Tracktion music production software for Windows and Mac.
Changes in Tracktion v5.2.4
- Archiving fix.
- Fullscreen button for Windows.
- Fix for stuck notes when using the MIDI patch bay plugin.
- Fix for incorrect export formats being displayed in MIDI note and track renders.
- Fix for some synth plugins not responding to MIDI.
- [5.2.3] Made sure MIDI clips created from dropping files have a suitable length.
- [5.2.3] Fix for copy/pasted clip lengths.
- [5.2.3] Fix for importing MIDI files on the project screen.
- [5.2.3] Fix for trimming empty regions at the start of dropped MIDI files.
- [5.2.3] Fix for saving and copying shell-based plugins.
- [5.2.3] Fix for MIDI SysEx timing.
- [5.2.3] Fixes for editing really tiny MIDI notes.
- [5.2.3] Fix for loading JACK.
- [5.2.3] Fix for project list forgetting projects when their name is changed.
- [5.2.3] Fix for groove templates in sequencer clips.
- [5.2.3] Fix for importing archives with sub-directories.
- [5.2.3] Fix for Automap Universal crashing.
- [5.2.3] Fix for audio glitches if racks are used across multiple output devices.
- [5.2.3] Added support for Automap to the 64-bit Mac version.
- [5.2.3] Added prompt for dragging audio files onto separate tracks or a single track.
- [5.2.3] Added selection of contiguous clips with shift.
- [5.2.3] Added option for rendering a sequencer-clip to a MIDI clip.
Tracktion 5 is available to purchase for $59.99 USD.
More information: Tracktion
J74 has announced StepLocker, a new Max for Live sequencing and modulation device.
StepLocker is based on the concept of parameter locking, whereby parameter settings can be associated (locked) to sequencer steps.
Besides the concept of it, one of the things I really tried to get right on this is the workflow. So in StepLocker parameter locking is very simple: Choose one or more steps in the sequencer, select a parameter in Ableton Live, set its value and lock it. You can do this for any parameter, in any device, in any track of Live.
On top of this I equipped StepLocker with classic step sequencer features, such as playback manipulation (step numbers, random step order, step lenght), value interpolation, value randomization and (post-locking) editing (such as copy, paste, erase).
- Up to 64 steps modulator with parameter locks for any parameter, in any device, in any track of Ableton Live.
- Intuitive user interface based on simple actions: just click, set, lock and sequence. No routing or long menu’s involved.
- Different modulation styles (Impulse/Hold, Gliding).
- Real time sequencing controls: free step number count, step duration, random playback order.
- Post-locking editing features: free editing of every recorded lock, randomization, shift values up/down, mute values, copy and paste sections.
- Possibility of recording the modulation as Session clip automation or Arrangement automation.
- Device state saved with the Ableton Live project.
The StepLocker device is available for $12 USD. Requires Live 9 or higher and Max 6.1 or higher.
More information: J74 / StepLocker
Bitwig has announced the release of Bitwig Studio, a multi-platform music-creation system for production, performance and DJing, with a focus on flexible editing tools and a super-fast workflow.
Record and arrange, improvise and perform, or do it all at once. Choose between several display profiles. Design your own sounds with dedicated container devices. Combine built-in instruments, effects, and VST plug-ins.
Bitwig Studio’s unified mapping system allows you to modulate any device or VST parameter using macro controls and modulator devices. Explore a new world of creative possibilities, including audio and note expressions, histogram-based value editing, layered editing, extensive bounce-in-place functions, automatic slicing, smart controller integration, and the Open Controller Scripting API.
Every feature in Bitwig Studio was developed by musicians, for musicians. Welcome to the next generation of music creation and performance software for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
Bitwig Studio features
- Cross-platform DAW (Windows, OS X, Linux).
- Intuitive non-linear sequencing for the studio world and beyond.
- Full multi-core and multi-processor support.
- VST 2.4 support with built-in 32-/64-bit bridging and plug-in crash protection.
- Proprietary time-stretching technology.
- Unlimited Audio Tracks.
- Unlimited Effect Tracks.
- Multi-display support for up to 3 displays.
- Unlimited Note Tracks.
- Unified Modulation System: Use Macro Controls, Note Expressions, LFOs, and Envelope Followers to modulate any device parameter, including nested internal devices and even VST plug-ins.
- Note and Audio expressions, including per-note Micro-Pitch Control.
- Automatic sample slicing to both Sampler or Drum Machine.
- Record and edit both track and clip automation in absolute and relative modes.
- Support for numerous MIDI controllers out of the box.
- Multiple tools for specific tasks and editing workflows.
- Macro Controls per device, as well as dedicated Device Panel Mappings with color-coded knobs and buttons for an overview at a glance.
- Advanced layered editing.
- Open Controller API: Lets you create and customize functionality for virtually any MIDI controller, including scripting access to nearly every feature of Bitwig Studio.
- File import: WAV, MP3, AAC, WMA, FLAC, and Ogg Vorbis.
- A PDF Manual is included with the Bitwig Studio application in English and Japanese.
Bitwig Studio for Windows, Mac, and Linux is available as a download, priced at $399 USD / 299 EUR. A boxed version is available from distributors for MSRP $449.99 USD / 329 EUR / £279 GBP.
More information: Bitwig
Cakewalk has announced its upcoming free SONAR X3e update, which will be available later this month.
Suitable for all three versions of the SONAR family (X3, X3 Studio, and X3 Producer), this update continues to focus on direct “wish list” feedback from Cakewalk customers.
SONAR X3e is the fifth free update since the X3 launch in September 2013, and features nearly 100 enhancements including improvements to the audio engine, loop recording, ARA (Audio Random Access), comping, and much more. SONAR X3e once again reinforces Cakewalk’s commitment to supporting the ever-growing number of users who have embraced SONAR X3’s superior workflow, functionality, and exceptional versatility.
“The continuing success of SONAR X3 is the result of what has essentially become a partnership with our user base. Their suggestions for enhancements have not only provided detailed, intelligent feedback, but inspired us to continue building on SONAR X3’s stability and functionality” said Cakewalk Product Manager Bill Jackson. “We are happy to release such a comprehensive list of enhancements to our loyal user base.”
The SONAR X3 family comprises SONAR X3 ($99), which delivers extraordinary value; SONAR X3 Studio ($199), targeted to advanced home and project studios; and SONAR X3 Producer ($499), designed to meet the demands of professionals who require a program with the versatility to handle any kind of project.
More information: Cakewalk / SONAR X3
Nektar has announced the deep integration with the Bitwig Studio DAW and the Nektar Panorama range of controllers featuring the unique and musician friendly direct DAW integration Nektar P series Keyboards are famous for.
From day one, Bitwig Studio will benefit from the extensive and transparent Panorama workflow integration that allows for controlling the Bitwig Studio mixer, instruments, effects, transport plus clip and scene launching right from Panorama P1, P4 or P6.
Building on Panorama’s workflow concept developed first for Reason and Cubase, additional functionality has been added to take full advantage of the Bitwig Studio controller API. This includes the ability to browse the instrument and effects device libraries of patches by category or creator, right from Panorama.
A step sequencer has also been included using the 8 LED buttons to program any of the up to 32 steps in a sequence. Panorama creates the events directly in Bitwig Studio so they are instantly part of a song and ready for further manipulation.
Taking advantage of the pads on the Panorama P4 and P6, it’s possible to trigger, create and record clips and scenes in absolute real-time. The Panorama display provides constant updates to show which clips are currently active, including the name of the clips available on the current track.
All things considered and also taking into account the compatibility of BitWig Studio with VST plug-ins, full navigation of all devices and their parameters, complete mixer control including motorized fader – the Panorama/Bitwig Studio combination may well be the most advanced hardware/software combination to date.
Registered owners of Panorama will be able to download the Panorama Bitwig Studio installer on March 26th, 2014.
More information: Nektar