, KV Bala Krishnan
, samples and sound libraries
Posted in news
on Jun 18, 2010
Loopmasters has released Indian Sessions Vol.2, a sample library featuring percussionist KV Bala Krishnan.
Loopmasters have teamed up with renowned Indian percussionist KV Bala Krishnan to put together this supreme collection of Indian percussion, Indian vocals and Sitar samples for producers worldwide looking for authentic royalty free Indian samples to integrate into their productions.
This is the second of a 2 part series which sees KV team up with local Indian musicians and vocalists from Chennai to extract pure melodies, grooves and rhythms from Indian culture and traditional music, but with an eye on popular western tempos and time signatures in order to create a palette of sound which will work well when fused into modern genres.
This is truly an authentic collection of samples recorded and produced in India exclusively for Loopmasters, which have been mastered centrally at Loopmasters studio to ensure maximum compatibility with all music applications and is presented in multiple formats for easy manipulation by you the producer.
Indian Sessions Vol.2: KV Bala Krishnan features
- 900+MB of 24bit Indian samples including, over 330 Samples, 335 Loops.
- 87 Female Vox loops, presented in various folders including vocals presented as Classic Aalap, Kalyani, Raag and Shivaranjini loops alongside light style loops and phrases.
- 61 Male Vox Loops, include Amarnath, Mantra, Carnatic, Classic and Film Loops, alongside phrases and single shouts.
- 159 Percussion Loops, masterfully played by KV himself, and includes loops of Bass Dholak, Dukki Tarang, Finger Cymbals, Ghata Singari, Ghatam Pot, Salangai, Shakers, Tabla, Tambourine, Triangle, amongst others.
- 28 Sitar Loops, a selection of Ensemble, Sitar Jaala, Phrase and Taraf Harp Loops.
- The tempos range from 75 –128 bpm.
Indian Sessions Vol.2 is available to purchase for £24.95 GBP.
More information: Loopmasters / Indian Sessions Vol.2
Tonehammer has released Bizarre Sitar, a sample library for Kontakt.
Often mocked as a “baby”, “miniature” or “toy” sitar, this bizarre beast patiently waited in the grand bazaar until it’s day arrived and a customer decided to buy it. However its wait had just begun – and for over a decade it sat dormant as mere decor, never having the chance to express it’s full-featured nature as a true contender in the world of stringed instruments. But all good comes to most who wait and the instrument was rediscovered by the all-loving Tonehammers.
The heart of our Bizarre Sitar library are the strumming patches. The modwheel allows you to sculpt the speed of the individual strum from very tight, fast strums to slow, plucky strums. The strums are tuned and spread across the entire keyboard. In addition, we’ve also included individual string plucks for lead lines and accents. As usual there are plenty of other tricks up the sleeves of this library, including bowing, FX, mutes and bonus ambiences as well as a set of all the main patches with our custom reverb. This library includes custom front-panel controls and modwheel automation to allow pitch adjustment of up to +/- 24 semitones, as well as additional features.
Bizarre Sitar features
- 31 instrument patches, 600 Samples.
- Bowing and FX (short, sustain, and tremolo bow, fret noise, fx, mutes).
- Strums (fifth, sloppy, unison, unison with fifth).
- Plucks (plucks, pluck with fifth, pluck with unison).
- Bonus: Custom ambiences.
- Bonus: Wet patches w/ custom convolution reverb.
- Extensive read me (.pdf) install, patch and hint documentation.
- 1.6 GB installed, 808 MB .rar download.
- Sample resolution: 44.1Khz / 24Bit stereo .wav format.
- Format(s): Kontakt and .wav.
- Note: Native Instruments Kontakt 3 / 4 full retail versions required.
- Note: Free Kontakt Player will only work for 30 minutes with this product. Full version required to remove this restriction.
Bizarre Sitar is available to purchase for the introductory price of $35 USD until 26 March, 2010 (regular price $30 USD).
More information: Tonehammer / Bizarre Sitar
Homegrown Sounds has announced the release of HG Electric Sitar, a virtual electric sitar instrument for Windows.
HG Electric Sitar is based on a multisampled Jerry Jones Electric Sitar, the modern day equivalent of the 60′s Dan Electro, used by the Beatles and the Stones. There are 7 different sample sets, each containing at least 4 octaves of samples, one for each note. Any two sample sets can be used simultaneously to give plenty of flexibility for creating interesting Sitar based sounds and atmospheres.
The plugin is based on the HG Piano, and so also includes soundscaper, an effect capable of combs, delays and reverbs which is very good for producing experimental atmospheres. As well as SoundScaper there is also a Flanger swappable for a filter, and a delay. The effects can be routed in 3 different ways, SoundScaper->Flanger->Delay, Flanger->SoundScaper->Delay or in parallel.
As with other Homegrown Synths, Sitar features a versatile Scala based Microtuner and comes with a standard selection of 300 patches. There are over 3,500 patches freely available from the Scala website which can also be used. Finally there is also a fully featured Arpeggiator and an inbuilt Recorder capable of recording WAVs directly to disk at up to 32-bit.
HG Electric Sitar features
- Dual Sitar Layers – There are 7 different sample sets, each has a unique sample per note
- Filter – Cascadable up to 8 times and includes Low Passes, Hi Passes, Band Passes, Comb, Low Shelf, Hi Shelf and Peak.
- 2 ADSR Envelopes – Simple Envelopes. Envelope 2 can either be used to control Sitar 2 volume or used to shape the Filter Cutoff Frequency.
- Drive – Auto Volume Distortion
- Arpeggiator – With many modes include classic Arp modes.
- Microtuner – Microtuner uses most standard Scala files of any size for custom tunings
- SoundScaper – Comb / Delay / Reverb Effect for creating interesting soundscapes.
- Flanger/Filter – Switchable between Flanger and Filter effect, LFO has over 300 predefined shapes with smooth control as well as standard shapes.
- Stereo BPM based Delay – Synced delay.
- FX Routing – 3 different Paths available.
- Drift – Adds a random pitch detune with each note played.
- Stereo Spread – Allows setting a random value to the Pan of each voice.
- Recorder – Allows recording directly to disk at 16/24/32 bits. Wavs are auto-named by date and location is set via a config file.
- Limiter – Output is limited to prevent clipping.
- Default – Sets Sitar to default settings
- Randomize – Randomizes all settings. There are also local randomizers in each section.
HG Electric Sitar is available to purchase for the introductory price of £18 GBP (regular £30 GBP). HG Electric Sitar comes with an additional bonus of 500 24-bit Electric Sitar Loops with RX2 equivalents.
More information: Homegrown Sounds / HG Electric Sitar
Syntheway has announced the release of Virtual Sitar, a VST instrument designed to emulate the Indian Sitar.
The Sitar is a Hindustani classical stringed instrument which utilizes sympathetic strings along with regular strings and a gourd resonating chamber to produce a very distinctive sound.
It was popularized by “legendary sitar virtuoso” and composer Ravi Shankar in the 1960s.
Virtual Sitar features
- Mastered sitar samples recorded with special equipment in a low noise environment. Full length sustain, no loops (natural decay).
- Includes 18 predefined sounds.
- Optimized CPU and memory usage.
- ADSR envelope generator with Attack, Sustain, Decay and Release parameters and several modulation targets.
- Multiple-Mode Filter: The values are automatically computed when you select any of the filter types. Filter switch includes: LP (Low pass), BP (Band pass), HP (High pass), notch, peak, low pass and high pass shelving filter with adjustable cutoff and bandwidth.
- Variable room simulation. Reverb effect can control the “room ambience”.
- MIDI Automation: Added complete MIDI CC#.
Syntheway Virtual Sitar is available as a VST instrument plug-in for Windows PC, priced at $25.90 USD.
More information: Syntheway / Virtual Sitar
Impact Soundworks has announced the release of a demo version of Sitar Nation, a Kontakt sample library featuring classical instruments of India.
Sitar Nation has been one of our most successful libraries, having redefined the standard for not only Indian instrument samples, but any kind of world instrument. Now, you can download a free version of Sitar Nation to try out and use in your compositions!
The Sitar Nation demo version contains four patches in NKI monolithic format, meaning they can be loaded in Kontakt 2 and above. These represent only a handful of the patches in the full library, and only show off one mic position. However, the level of depth (velocities, round robins) is the same as the full version, so you can get an idea of the tone and playability of the basic components of the library.
Sitar Nation Demo Version includes
- Sitar Main Patch – The primary plucked articulation of the sitar, limited only in key range. Velocities and round robins are all there.
- Sitar Releases – A patch intended to be loaded on to the same channel as the Sitar Main Patch. Adds release noises at random to add realism to your performance.
- Tampura Main Patch – Just one note of the full tampura main patch, which is a long drone.
- Tabla and Baya – In the full library, these patches are separated and can be loaded together or one at a time as desired. This demo patch combines two strokes from both the tabla and the baya on to one MIDI channel to help accompany your performances.
The Sitar Nation Demo is available as a free download, while the full version has a price of $99 USD.
More information: Impact Soundworks