, Prince Fatty
, samples and sound libraries
Posted in news
on Nov 18, 2013 - 0 comments
Drumdrops has introduced the Rogers Big R Dub Kit, the ultimate dub kit sample library.
This kit has been used to record Drumdrops in Dub Volume 3 and Drumdrops in Ska as well as many other commercial releases.
The kit is comprised of a 24″ x 14″ Bass Drum, a Ludwig Black Magic 14″ x 6.5″ Snare Drum, a Ludwig Acrolite 14″ x 5″ Snare Drum, a huge 18″ x 16″ Floor Tom, and two Rack Toms, a 14″ x 10″ and a 13″ x 8″. The cymbals used were 15″ Zildjian A Sweet Hi-Hats and a 17″ A Custom Crash. Percussion for this kit includes a 14″ Timbale drum and a set of Bongos. Also included is some Electronic Percussion using a Boss PC-2 Percussion Synthesizer and a Tama Techstar TS-204.
The kit was recorded and mixed by UK producer, musician and engineer Mike ‘Prince Fatty’ Pelanconi. The drummer used was reggae specialist Horseman. His hard-hitting beats have backed the likes of Wailing Souls, Sugar Minot, Max Romeo, Barrington Levy, John Holt, Big Youth, Gregory Isaacs and many more.
The recording and mixing took place in Miloco’s The Ironworks in Brighton, UK. At the centre of the Control Room can be found a rare vintage 1970s BBC console. The outboard racks are full of great gear including a Lang PEQ-2 EQ, a Langevin EQ258A EQ, and plenty of dub reverbs. All of the drums were recorded without compression. Mike chose not to record any room microphones for this kit as he wanted a tight, dry Reggae sound.
The kit is available to purchase as a Kontakt Pack (£45 GBP), Multi-Velocity Pack (£15 GBP) and Single Hits Pack (£7.50 GBP).
More information: Drumdrops / Rogers Big R Dub Kit
Beta Monkey has announced Ska Grooves, a new Drum Werks sample library.
With a wealth of ska and ska-hybrid grooves, Drum Werks XXII: Ska Grooves is our exclusive collection of Ska beats played by one of L.A.’s top session players, versatile enough for traditional as well as modern interpretations of the ska genre.
Drum Werks XXII: Ska Grooves delivers live ska drum loops with multiple beat variations and a robust collection of fills. Take a Steppers beat and lay it down at a much higher tempo and you’ve got the essence of ska. With a boost in tempos and energy, the drum grooves feature side stick grooves, half-time and up-tempo rhythms, and straight/swing feels. Fills include intros as well as transitions, featuring snare, side stick, and tom rolls.
Drum Werks XXII Ska Grooves features
- Versatile Blend of ska and rock-ska styles: Nearly 400 ska grooves and groove variations ranging from 50 bpm to 200 bpm. Includes basic grooves as well as more syncopated accented ones, with full snare shots and cross-sticking. Perfect for modern ska and rock-reggae hybrid styles The perfect companion to Drum Werks XXI Reggae Drums – pure, ska-inspired rhythms for a variety of musical settings.
- Fully-Sampled Drum and Cymbal Samples: A multi-velocity samples of a Yamaha Phoenix drumkit as well as matching Zildjian cymbals is included. Build new grooves in your sequencer of choice or augment the loops to create new syncopations.
- Superior Rhythmic Realism: No programmed grooves here. Llive, studio grooves show you what a live drummer can do – capture the elusive essence of grooves that exist between straight and swung groove feels. A dynamic arsenal of live ska grooves.
- Cohesive Groove Sets: All loops and samples arefrom a single recording session. All loops can be combined seamlessly giving users the ultimate in consistency for eclectic or larger-scale projects.
- High-End Production: With gold and platinum experience behind the kit and console, Drum Werks XXII delivers the quality your music deserves. Part of our “L.A. Returns Sessions.”
- 631 (695 MB) original, license-free drum loops and samples in 16-bit, 24-bit WAV, APPLE LOOPS formats.
- 174 (211 MB) multi-velocity drum and cymbal samples. Same sample set as Drum Werks XXI.
Ska Grooves is available to purchase for $24.99 USD.
More information: Beta Monkey Music / Drum Werks XXII: Ska Grooves
Bob Leggitt has released Classic-H and Skanksta, two free virtual organ instruments for Windows.
The Classic-H provides the essence of an old tonewheel organ within the VST environment. This VSTi captures the distinctive personality of a classic Hammond/Leslie combination, as well as simulating twin manual operation across a single MIDI keyboard, using a variable key-split function.
Thirty extremely cool presets provide a jumping-off point for almost every type of music, from the ‘Full Throb’ of old time soul to the screaming distortion of Deep Purple-type rock. It does gobble CPU, but it has the sounds, and it doesn’t cost a penny.
The Skanksta is a ska-orientated VST organ, designed to produce a light and bright sound which will fit in well with quite a number of quirky and/or rhythmic music styles.
It’s essentially a Vox Continental II with animation provided by a rotary speaker rather than a vibrato unit, and selectable key-splitting to simulate two manuals across a single MIDI keyboard. The key-splitting is particularly important for reggae-derived styles, where the left hand part will typically contrast sharply in tone with the right hand.
Classic-H and Skanksta are available to download as freeware VST instrument plugins for Windows.
More information: Classic-H / FreeST Skanksta
Silicon Beats has released Mega Reggae, a collection of three drum loops sample libraries.
Grab our three most popular reggae and ska drum loop packs in this super discounted bundle. When we bundle 2 or more loop packs together we call them Mega Packs and offer you a much lower price than buying them separately.
Mega Reggae features
- 1.2 Gigabyte Mega Pack, includes Reggae – Jammin V1, Reggae – Jammin V2, and Ska Drums V1 – Ska and Reggae
- 406 Drum Loops & 31 Kit Samples.
- Reggae & Ska.
- Formats: Wave, Rex2, Apple Loops.
- Instant Download.
Mega Reggae is available to purchase for $143.88 USD.
More information: Silicon Beats / Mega Reggae
, samples and sound libraries
Posted in news
on Oct 15, 2010 - 0 comments
Loopmasters has released Bubbles And Chops, a new sample pack by Dubdrops.
Dubdrops are proud to present a brand new collection of the most authentically played and recorded collection of Reggae Bubbles and Chops, for Producers worldwide looking to ignite their tracks with the soul of Roots Reggae.
For the first time ever, a massive collection of Rub a Dub, Reggae, Rocksteady and Ska Hammond Organ Bubbles, plus Piano and Guitar chops which have been recorded by the best heads in the business for your sampling delight!
Organised by BPM and Key signature, drag and drop loops and get busy with some serious Bubblin pressure , Keyboards played by Ruff Cut legend Bubblers and featuring Prince Fatty’s guitarist Chopper Gilkezn, engineered by Prince Fatty himself in the heart of Harlseden, the Jamaican quarter of London.
Bubbles And Chops features
- Over 200 Hundred Dub and Reggae Organ, Guitar and Piano Bubbles and Chops, in 24bit quality.
- 70 Guitar Chops, 70 Organ Bubbles, 67 Piano Loops.
- Tempo between 64 – 132 bpm.
Bubbles And Chops is available to purchase for £34.95 GBP.
More information: Loopmasters / Bubbles And Chops
Loopmasters has released Drumdrops In Ska, a collection of ska drum loops by Drumdrops.
Drumdrops are proud to present this unique and exclusive collection of fine Ska beats played by top Jamaican drummers and recorded with vintage kits, Mics and through 2” tape and warm analogue compression at the Drumdrops studios for your sampling pleasure!
Ska is the musical genre that originated in Jamaica in the late 1950’s and was the precursor to rocksteady and then reggae music as we now know it. In the early 1960s, ska was the dominant music genre of Jamaica and was popular with the British Mod Scene and has had countless revivals over the years.
Drumdrops have a fine pedigree with live played Dub, Reggae and now Ska beats which use only the finest original drumming talent and stay true to the original recording methods and natural Tape recordings as seen in Studio One back in the day when the Jamaicans first created this sound.
Drumdrops In Ska features
- 750MB of content, 24 Bit samples.
- 172 Drum Loops, Dry and FX versions are included
- Includes main loops, variations, fills and transitions so you can quickly build your own complete drum tracks with ease to form the bedrock and foundation of your music.
- Tempo: 117-132 BPM.
Drumdrops In Ska is available to purchase in WAV/REX and Apple Loops/REX formats, priced at £34.95 GBP.
More information: Loopmasters / Drumdrops In Ska
Platinum Loops has released Ska Guitars, a collection of Ska/Reggae Guitar Loops.
Super cool guitar riffs and mind bending licks to make your tunes BOUNCE. Ska Guitars V1 offers guitar loops like none you’ve ever heard. Using 5 different guitars and an insane mixture of vintage amps alongside the latest in modern amp simulation technology we managed to capture some truly authentic ska and reggae guitar tones. We put together 13 collections of ska guitar loops that give you an excellent foundation for writing some great ska and reggae tracks. 26 drum loops are included within this loop pack to help you get started. Everything you hear in the preview is included.
From bouncing riffs to super atmospheric delays, octaved bass lines, wah wah licks and so much more, Ska Guitars V1 is sure to inspire your creativity. Whether you produce Hip Hop, Pop or Rock music these unique guitar loops will add a higher level of “cool” to your tracks that you cant find anywhere else. Tempos range from 70 to 130 bpm.
Ska Guitars V1 features
- 590 MB content
- 161 loops (24bit/44.1KHz), Played Live
- 70 to 130 Bpm
- Includes WAV, AIF and REX2 formats.
Ska Guitars is available to purchase for $69.95 USD.
More information: Platinum Loops / Ska Guitars
, samples and sound libraries
, Silicon Beats
Posted in news
on Dec 03, 2009 - 0 comments
Silicon Beats has released Ska Drums V1, a collection of ska drum loops and samples.
Ska Drums V1 offers a superb selection of expertly performed live ska drum loops with tonnes of variations and fills. We’ve got side stick grooves, up tempo rhythms and lots of snare fills.
Ska Drums V1 is our second drum loop pack to feature the spectacular vintage Ludwig Ocean Pearl drum kit with a Supraphonic snare drum. This kit was made in 1963 and offers a richness of tone that can only be found in classic vintage drums.
We fed the kick and snare mic’s through the Focusrite Liquid Channel mic pre-amp and chose our sound proofed mixing room as a live room in order to achieve a dry ‘close-mic ‘d’ sound that emulates classic ska recordings of the 1970′s.
Ska Drums V1 features
- 153 Loops, tempo: 110 to 142 Bpm.
- Tight, dry sound gives you all the space you need to drop a thick plate reverb on those snare fills for that cool ska vibe.
- 31 Kit Samples, the kit includes a 12″ tom, 13″ tom, 14″ supraphonic snare, 16″ floor tom, 22″ Kick, 18″ Vintage Sabian ride, 16″ Zildjian Avedis Medium Thin Crash, 15″ Zildjian Vintage Crash, 14″ Zildjian Vintage New-Beat hats.
- Total Size: 483 MB.
Ska Drums V1 is available to purchase as an instant download for $39.95 USD.
More information: Silicon Beats / Ska Drums V1