Feelyoursound has released Sundog Scale Studio, a new composition tool for electronic musicians that want to create great songs faster.
The standalone software connects to other DAWs and hardware instruments via MIDI and sends note commands to trigger chords and melodies.
The main focus of Sundog lies on writing harmonic songs from scratch without having to worry about music theory.
Sundog Scale Studio features
- Create harmonic melodies and arpeggios easily.
- Experiment with new scales and basenotes.
- Over 300 scales are available out of the box to experiment with new moods and harmonies.
- Find all fitting chords for a given scale.
- Convert MIDI note input (white keys) to scale notes.
- Cure writer’s block by experimenting with new harmonies.
- Output: Standard MIDI note data.
- Input: MIDI notes, computer keys, mouse.
- Buy once, get updates forever.
Sundog for Windows is available to purchase for $39 USD / 29 EUR.
More information: Feelyoursound / Sundog
Steinberg has announced the release of version 1.7.2 of its Cubasis multitouch sequencer app for the iPad.
This maintenance update solves many user-reported issues and is highly recommended for all users of Cubasis.
Changes in Cubasis v1.7.2
- Audio track playback performance has been drastically increased on all devices.
- Audio track freeze.
- Setup option to enlarge the audio recording buffer has been added.
- New latency setup option added (IO buffer size can be adjusted between 128/256/512).
- Maximum polyphony has been increased to a value of 128.
- New tracks will now be created below the selected track.
- CPU/Polyphony display has been overhauled (please refer to In-App help for more details).
- Newly created audio files appear highlighted in the MediaBay.
- A new overlay informs about imported files (replacing the previous popup).
- Separating files for tracks in mixdown now includes track names for each file.
- The touchable area of the preset selection arrows in Micrologue and Micro Sonic has been improved.
- Cycle mode is automatically activated when setting the locators to the selection by long tapping an event.
- Creating an event by double tapping in the arrange window area now automatically selects the corresponding track.
- MIDI tracks assigned to “No Instrument” now display drum pads instead of chord pads as an alternative to the keyboard.
- Several minor usability improvements.
- Fixed: CB-1308 Disabling solo states restores the states of previously muted tracks.
- Fixed: CB-1451 Fixes an issue where glitches occurred when an IAA app was connected during playback.
- Fixed: CB-1456 The loading time of Cubasis projects that contain IAA apps has been lowered.
- Fixed: CB-1459 Fixes an issue where Inter-App Audio effects were ignored when performing a mixdown.
- Fixed: CB-1455 Fixes an issue where a mixdown or freeze of certain Inter-App Audio instrument apps lead to detuned audio material.
- Fixed: CB-1448 The iOS keyboard now closes automatically when the help screen is closed.
- Fixed: CB-1463 Transferring Mod wheel commands via MIDI out now works as expected.
- Fixed: CB-1464 Fixes a rare phenomenon where the preview of audio files (e.g. a mixdown) in the MediaBay played an outdated version of the file.
- Fixed: CB-1468 Fixes a rare phenomenon where audio tracks continued to play after the playback had been stopped.
- Fixed: CB-1453 Cycle playback on slower devices no longer results in unwanted audible clicks or crackles.
- Fixed: CB-1484 Fixes a rare issue where the instrument rack fails to open fully.
- Fixed: CB-1486 Fixes a rare issue where loading of duplicated snapshot project files fails.
- Fixed: CB-1501 MIDI input for multiple tracks on the same channel now works as expected.
- Fixed: CB-1502 AudioCopy of files that are not in 44.1kHz 16-bit format now works as expected.
The Cubasis app is available to purchase for $49.99 USD. The version 1.7.2 update can now be downloaded on the Apple App Store.
More information: Steinberg / Cubasis
Kymatica has launched Sector, a stochastic sample slice sequencer for iPad.
Slice and sequence your loops with a network of markov-chain connections. Introduce order with the probability-based coin-flipping pattern sequencer. Bend time with warp functions for glitches and modulations. Tweak and trigger in real time performance. Get anything between rigid control and random chaos.
Sector v0.9 features
- High quality 32-bit audio engine.
- Stream audio to other apps in Audiobus or Inter-App Audio.
- Import samples and loops from AudioShare or using “Open in” from other apps.
The next update will feature MIDI clock sync and in-app recording and exporting of loops.
Sector for iPad is available to purchase for $6.99 USD.
More information: Kymatica / Sector
Spektro Audio has announced the release of a version 1.1 update for CV Toolkit – Standalone Version, an application that can be used to control analog synthesizers by sending CV signals through any DC-coupled audio interface or Expert Sleeper’s module.
The update includes two new virtual modules (MIDI to CV and CV Quantizer), native Smux support (Mac only), and many different improvements to the “Scangraph”, “Envelope” and “Step Sequencer” virtual modules.
Changes in CV Toolkit v1.1
- New “MIDI to CV” module with auto-calibration and transpose. Calibrate your VCOs and play them in tune!
- New “CV Quantizer” module – Quantize signals coming from other virtual modules to a specific Scale (Chromatic, Major, Minor, Minor Harmonic or Blues) and note range.
- ScanGraph improvements:
- ‘Rand’ button – Generates a random graph.
- Snap breakpoints to the grid by holding down the “S” key.
- Use these two new features together in order to generate random graphs with all breakpoints snapped to the grid.
- Envelope improvements:
- ‘Rand’ button – Generates a random graph
- Step Sequencer improvements:
- Velocity Layer – The velocity layer can be used to control the gain of the AD envelopes for each of the steps. You can also turn a step off by setting it’s velocity to zero.
- Shift the sequence by pressing the arrow keys on your keyboard.
- “Rand”, “Clear”, and shifting operations can be applied to the Velocity layer by holding down the “V” key.
- Adjustable number of steps (Min: 4 / Max: 16).
- New option for changing the output signal from Bi-Polar to Positive-only (available on the Options window).
- New option for disabling triggers generated by the Sequencer (available on the Options window).
- Native SMUX support (Mac only) – You can now use CV Toolkit together with an Expert Sleepers ES–3 module at higher sample rates (above 48kHz).
- The GATE outlet was removed from the Routing Matrix for a better user experience. You can still output gates through the Mix module. We’ve also added an option for swapping the TRIGGER outlet on the Routing Matrix for a GATE outlet.
- New option for disabling the transmission of LEDs to the Lemur for a smoother integration (available on the Options window).
- The Trim dial is now called “Output Trim” and it has been moved to the Options window. It’s value will now be stored as a global settings and will be automatically recalled every time you open the program.
- You can now hold down the “G” key to activate guidelines on the Routing Matrix.
- Lemur template updated.
- Many misc / minor bug fixes.
The application is available to purchase for $19.99 USD.
More information: Spektro Audio / CV Toolkit – Standalone Version
TC Electronic has announced a free software update for its DB6 intelligent loudness management solution.
With the new software, broadcasters are able to recall up to 16 Scene Presets by using GPI 1 and 2 together. DB6 offers a variety of ways to engage or disengage processing automatically, depending on format, level, physical inputs etc., while remote control can be achieved via Ethernet, GPI, SDI metadata, etc.
The GPI implementation of DB6 is very extensive, offering switching between up to 16 Scene Presets using only two of its four GPI inputs. Based on this, DB6 may be controlled during playout, or a simple preset selection panel can be designed with easy access to presets and/or emergency override.
Further, it is now possible to control DB6 by multiple instances of the ICON remote, adding a new level of operational flexibility to the platform. Finally, it is also possible to copy entire User preset Banks to or from files stored on a PC or Mac.
More information: TC Electronic / DB6
Wolfgang Palm has announced the release of version 2.0 of PPG WaveMapper, a synthesizer instrument for iOS.
In final development the PPG WaveMapper offers iPad users a second synthesiser to compliment the already loved PPG WaveGenerator from Wolfgang Palm. PPG WaveMapper allows the user the opportunity to create limitless sounds from this unique and powerful new technology.
PPG WaveMapper features the Sound Map, which maps the various sounds in a way to easily access and experiment with them, more importantly the PPG WaveMapper features a new synthesis system which maps the waveforms of a sound into a new kind of wavetable which preserves the sound characteristics better than classic Wavetable synthesis and at the same time allows for the manipulations which make WT synthesis so unique.
Changes in PPG WaveMapper v2.0
- Inter-app Audio (IAA) with MIDI.
- Load audio files from Media Library – Analysis page.
- Wavetable exchange via pasteboard with WaveGenerator.
- App switching with WaveGenerator.
- Audiobus 184.108.40.206 compatible.
- Minor bug fixes.
The app is available to purchase for $19.99 USD.
More information: Wolfgang Palm / PPG WaveMapper
, Solid State Logic
Posted in news
on Feb 13, 2014
Softube has announced the release of its Console 1 computer based audio mixing solution for Windows and Mac.
Console 1 will not only give you the world-class sound of the included Solid State Logic SL 4000 E model, but also the analog workflow of using physical knobs and buttons when you mix.
Console 1 is all about great sound and intuitive, hands-on control.
Console 1 features
- Next generation mixer.
- Tightly integrated hardware/software system.
- Solid State Logic SL 4000 E model included.
- Hands-on control and intuitive workflow.
- Use with any major DAW.
- Parametric equalizer, compressor, gate, transient shaper, high/low cut filters and harmonics/distortion.
- Customize the channel by adding any Softube equalizer or dynamics plug-in.
- The system will run and the settings can be adjusted without having the hardware connected.
Console 1 has a list price of $1,099 USD / 849 EUR, with an expected street price of $999 USD / 799 EUR (including 19% sales tax).
More information: Softube / Console 1
, Point Blank
Posted in news
on Feb 12, 2014
Point Blank has announced it is offering a free studio setup with every one of its diploma courses.
Every student who books a diploma course with Point Blank will receive a free studio setup courtesy of Novation/Focusrite! The brand new gear collection includes KRK Rokit RP5 G3 monitors, Novation LaunchKey 25 keyboard, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 soundcard and a laptop bag.
Diploma students will also receive Ableton Live Lite 9, Scarlett plugin suite, Focusrite Midnight, Novation Basstation and Novation V-Station plugins, a Loopmasters sample pack and Novation LaunchPad and LaunchKey iOS apps!
Everything you’ll need to start making great music is included so visit Point Blank London now to find out more about their diploma courses.
More information: Point Blank Online