Bitwig has announced the release of Bitwig Studio, a multi-platform music-creation system for production, performance and DJing, with a focus on flexible editing tools and a super-fast workflow.
Record and arrange, improvise and perform, or do it all at once. Choose between several display profiles. Design your own sounds with dedicated container devices. Combine built-in instruments, effects, and VST plug-ins.
Bitwig Studio’s unified mapping system allows you to modulate any device or VST parameter using macro controls and modulator devices. Explore a new world of creative possibilities, including audio and note expressions, histogram-based value editing, layered editing, extensive bounce-in-place functions, automatic slicing, smart controller integration, and the Open Controller Scripting API.
Every feature in Bitwig Studio was developed by musicians, for musicians. Welcome to the next generation of music creation and performance software for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
Bitwig Studio features
- Cross-platform DAW (Windows, OS X, Linux).
- Intuitive non-linear sequencing for the studio world and beyond.
- Full multi-core and multi-processor support.
- VST 2.4 support with built-in 32-/64-bit bridging and plug-in crash protection.
- Proprietary time-stretching technology.
- Unlimited Audio Tracks.
- Unlimited Effect Tracks.
- Multi-display support for up to 3 displays.
- Unlimited Note Tracks.
- Unified Modulation System: Use Macro Controls, Note Expressions, LFOs, and Envelope Followers to modulate any device parameter, including nested internal devices and even VST plug-ins.
- Note and Audio expressions, including per-note Micro-Pitch Control.
- Automatic sample slicing to both Sampler or Drum Machine.
- Record and edit both track and clip automation in absolute and relative modes.
- Support for numerous MIDI controllers out of the box.
- Multiple tools for specific tasks and editing workflows.
- Macro Controls per device, as well as dedicated Device Panel Mappings with color-coded knobs and buttons for an overview at a glance.
- Advanced layered editing.
- Open Controller API: Lets you create and customize functionality for virtually any MIDI controller, including scripting access to nearly every feature of Bitwig Studio.
- File import: WAV, MP3, AAC, WMA, FLAC, and Ogg Vorbis.
- A PDF Manual is included with the Bitwig Studio application in English and Japanese.
Bitwig Studio for Windows, Mac, and Linux is available as a download, priced at $399 USD / 299 EUR. A boxed version is available from distributors for MSRP $449.99 USD / 329 EUR / £279 GBP.
More information: Bitwig
Positive Grid has announced the release of Final Touch – Complete Mastering System for iPad, a suite that combines nuanced techniques of mastering with Positive Grid’s expertise on mobile design.
The Final Touch app offers the highest mastering control, precision and flexibility possible on an iPad.
“Final Touch allows musicians, producers and engineers to master audio recording with the industry’s standards: maximizer, pre and post equalizer, multiband dynamics, stereo imaging, reverb and dithering controls are all just one finger tap away”, says Positive Grid Marketing Manager Jaime Ruchman. “And now they will be able to continue their mastering sessions literally anywhere, with the same sound quality as a top notch professional mastering studio, enhancing productivity to its maximum.”
Final Touch combines seven essential mastering tools into one integrated system, the Pre and Post linear phase EQ modules consist of eight independent bands, each providing a choice of five different types of parametric filters: Hi-Pass, Low-Shelf, Peak, Hi-Shelf and Low-Pass. The Dynamics module offer highly flexible stereo/mid-side multiband compressor/limiter. The Stereo Imaging module adjusts the width of your mix, corrects L/R channel imbalances and checks mono compatibility. The Reverb module offers flattering room, hall and plate algorithms to sweeten overly dry mixes, providing continuously variable controls for independently adjusting Pre-Delay, Decay Time, Early Reflections and Room Size. The Maximizer module limits peaks and raises the average level of your mix, thereby increasing loudness. Comprehensive dither and noise-shaping options are also provided in this module.
Once your master is perfectly dialed, a couple taps are all it takes to share it via email, Dropbox, iTunes and SoundCloud.
Final Touch features
- Complete professional mastering system powered by Positive Grid’s high-end signal-processing algorithms.
- Linear Phase Pre and Post Equalizers, each offering eight bands and five filter types.
- Multiband Dynamics with four independent bands of compression/limiting.
- Stereo Imager adjusts the width and balance of your mix’s soundstage.
- Reverb provides state-of-the-art Room, Hall and Plate algorithms.
- Maximizer transparently limits peaks to make your mix louder.
- Dithering and Noise-Shaping preserves your mix’s depth and nuance.
- Stereo and mid-side processing.
- High-resolution, multi-colored metering with accurate readouts.
- Each module can be independently bypassed.
- Bypass switches for individual EQ bands.
- Left, right, mid and side channels can be independently soloed or bypassed.
- Waveform overview of your mix, with draggable playback cursor.
- 100 factory presets and unlimited user presets.
- Global and module-based presets.
- Drag and drop modules to rearrange their order in the signal path.
- Pristine, high-resolution sound (double-precision, 64-bit calculation).
- Unmatched audio-data integrity: no rounding or truncation except when calculations are performed.
- Share via Email, Dropbox, iTunes, SoundCloud and FTP.
- Streamlined project management: browse multiple projects with one simple tap.
- Workflow optimized for mobile and desktop data transfers.
- Supports Inter App Audio and Audiobus routing system (works with many other audio apps).
- Supports iPad 2, iPad mini and newer iPad devices.
- Designed for iOS 7.
Final Touch for iPad is available to purchase for $19.99 USD.
More information: Positive Grid / Final Touch
XT Software has released version 2.7 beta 2 for Windows and Mac of its energyXT music production software.
With energyXT you will be creating tracks faster than with any other music application
Changes in energyXT v2.7 beta 2
- Added level per audio clip.
- New mixer panel in sequencer (like in v1.4).
- Track presets.
- Duplicate track will now also copy arp data.
- Drag & drop plugins on to MIDI tracks will now replace current plugin(s), unless shift or alt is pressed.
- Enter values for velocity and controller data manually in object bar.
- Added speedbuttons for transposing by octave in objectbar.
- Copy/paste controller data.
- Render audio to drum pad.
- Add up to 8 favorite VST params for each track (using VST plugin) in the mixer with MIDI controller support.
- Rewind will now restart current marker in marker-track mode.
- Width of track panel now saved with project.
- Added mute/solo highlight state in GUI editor.
- Record VST automation with MIDI controllers (using favorite params mapping on track).
energyXT is currently available to purchase for 39 EUR (regular 59 EUR). The new beta is available to download here.
More information: XT Software
MIDI HACK is a 24h hackathon sponsored by Ableton, Native Instruments & Spotify celebrating the protocols (such as MIDI, OSC & CV) and technologies that are the backbone of analog and digital music creation.
The MIDI HACK weekend will offer lectures and performances from artists and creators. The focus of the event will be on letting our participants create new and ground breaking ideas.
The goal of MIDI HACK is to bring together industry leaders, interesting start-ups, software developers, hardware fanatics and musicians who push the envelope of music creation, and to spawn great and creative ideas for the future. Ever wanted to rip apart MIDI controllers to create a new one? Maybe write a new VST or AU? Or how about finding new ways to perform? Then this is the hack for you.
The name MIDI HACK derives from the midi protocol that has defined music creation for more than 30 years. Together with OSC (Open Sound Control – an open source version of the same idea) and CV (Control Voltage – used to control analogue synthesizers) they are the three pillars of music creation today whenever there’s a synthesizer or computer involved.
A hack is a abbreviation of hackathon, a defined space that during a limited tine engages people in overcome a defined target or investigate a certain subject. Midi hack is aimed for the people who love music creation and sees a potential for involvement within the area.
MIDI HACK will take place May 17th-18th, 2014, at Spotify HQ, Stockholm – Sweden. The application form opens Tuesday March 18th, and closes March 30th, 2014.
More information: MIDI HACK
, FL Studio
Posted in news
on Mar 18, 2014 - 0 comments
Image-Line has announced a contest in collaboration with Novation, giving away 10 bundles of the Launchpad S and FL Studio Producer Edition.
We’re teaming up with our friends at Novation to give away TEN bundles of a Launchpad S and FL Studio Producer Edition (or IL VCash equivalent to be used in the Image-Line shop if you already own FL Studio). Don’t forget FL Studio also includes Lifetime Free Updates.
To enter the contest you need to name one track used in the performance above. The contest ends March 28th, 2014, at 16:00 GMT.
More information: FL Studio / Launchpad S contest
batZode has announced Blowfinger, an app that turns any iPad into a breath or wind controller.
Musicians blow across an iPhone mic – or any other mic – and the wind noise is converted into a MIDI continuous controller. The instrument can send notes from the onscreen keyboard or woodwind touch keys (which use a very simple and intuitive fingering system). Or it can just function as a MIDI breath controller.
“We designed this app to take the place of expensive, inferior hardware breath controllers,” programmer Stephan Podell says. “It’s also a fantastic auxiliary controller for playing MIDI instruments.”
- Blowfinger Keyboard mode
- Velocity-sensitive keyboard allows you to glide between notes in a way not possible on a regular keyboard, making this an excellent musical performance addition to any set-up.
- Use the eight utility pads with user text labels to send program changes or keyswitches. Or use them to play drums and percussion – they’re velocity-sensitive.
- The XY pad offers additional expressive control in both axes, and it can be set to snap back to zero, to the center, or stay where you release it. Choose which MIDI controller is sent in each direction.
- Transpose octaves up or down with one tap (either or both keyboard manuals).
- Blowfinger Wind mode
- Simplified fingerings based on recorder or Boehm system allow anyone who’s ever played a wind instrument to pick up Blowfinger right away. You switch octaves with your left thumb, so once you know one octave you know them all.
- One size fits all. The keys and the thumb pads can be resized, moved, and stretched all over the screen. Play the instrument on your lap or perhaps a desk in front of you, or move the pads to the sides and hold the iPad up to your belly.
- XY right thumb pad. This has the same features as the one in Keyboard Mode, with your choice of snap back behavior and MIDI controllers.
- General features
- Blowfinger can work as a breath controller without sending notes; in Breath-only mode, blow without fingering and it sends a MIDI controller.
- Simultaneous support for Network MIDI over Wi-Fi, hardware MIDI, and inter-application MIDI to control synths running on the same iPad. Also supports rpMIDI for wireless MIDI on Windows.
- While it feels great right away, you can personalize the breath response to suit your preference and also to adjust for noisy environments.
- Global transposition so you can play in the key of Cb without getting angry.
Blowfinger is available to purchase for $17.99 USD.
More information: batZode
Cakewalk has announced its upcoming free SONAR X3e update, which will be available later this month.
Suitable for all three versions of the SONAR family (X3, X3 Studio, and X3 Producer), this update continues to focus on direct “wish list” feedback from Cakewalk customers.
SONAR X3e is the fifth free update since the X3 launch in September 2013, and features nearly 100 enhancements including improvements to the audio engine, loop recording, ARA (Audio Random Access), comping, and much more. SONAR X3e once again reinforces Cakewalk’s commitment to supporting the ever-growing number of users who have embraced SONAR X3’s superior workflow, functionality, and exceptional versatility.
“The continuing success of SONAR X3 is the result of what has essentially become a partnership with our user base. Their suggestions for enhancements have not only provided detailed, intelligent feedback, but inspired us to continue building on SONAR X3’s stability and functionality” said Cakewalk Product Manager Bill Jackson. “We are happy to release such a comprehensive list of enhancements to our loyal user base.”
The SONAR X3 family comprises SONAR X3 ($99), which delivers extraordinary value; SONAR X3 Studio ($199), targeted to advanced home and project studios; and SONAR X3 Producer ($499), designed to meet the demands of professionals who require a program with the versatility to handle any kind of project.
More information: Cakewalk / SONAR X3
Novation has released version 1.4.0 of its Launchpad App free music app for iPad, which now features Audio Import Audio Copy with supported apps.
Use Audio Copy to export performances directly from Launchpad App into any other Audio Copy supporting App, and Audio Paste to import from any other Audio Paste supporting app directly into your Launchpad App sound library and put straight onto a pad.
The Audio Import upgrade transforms Launchpad app into a powerful performance tool for users that want to play original music on their iPad, with Audio Copy and Paste support, timestretching, Launch family integration, and full Dropbox integration for import.
Import WAV/AIFF samples by BPM with Dropbox (free Dropbox account required) or Audio Paste, and assign them to any Launch pad as loops or one shots. Whether from professional sample providers or exported from your own productions, combine your samples with built in and In-App purchased Launchpacks to create a unique library to perform with.
The Launchpad App is a free download at the App Store. Audio Import is a $6.99 USD/£4.99 GBP upgrade from the Launchpad App store.
More information: Novation / Launchpad App