Solid State Logic has announced that Rik Simpson has installed a Matrix mixing console with inbuilt signal router and multi-layer digital workstation control in Coldplay’s Beehive studio in North London.
Rik Simpson, Coldplay’s producer, invites us to the band’s North London studio to talk about how he records them, and about his long history with SSL, from working with the G Series as a fifteen-year-old to using the Matrix today.
Coldplay set up the Beehive in 2010, and Chris Martin asked Rik to be involved in the design and build of the new studio. The band recorded the majority of the Viva la Vida at the Beehive with Rik as engineer. Viva la Vida went on to win three Grammys and Rik went on to co-produce (as well as engineer) Coldplay’s fifth studio album, Mylo Xyloto, at the Beehive last year. He tried out the Matrix in the process – and kept it.
The six-minute video of Rik talking about how he records and mixes the ‘Best British Group’ (BRIT Awards 2012) is available here: www.solidstatelogic.com/music/matrix/video.asp
More information: Solid State Logic
, compressor and limiter
, effect plugins
, Solid State Logic
Posted in news
on Feb 17, 2011
Solid State Logic has announced the release of Duende Native, a collection of plug-ins which are functionally and sonically identical to the highly acclaimed, but now discontinued DSP powered Duende plug-ins, but they run natively using your host computers processing resources.
The Duende Native Plug-in suite is a collection of audio processing tools which bring professional audio quality, sophistication and benchmark performance within reach of all DAW users. Duende plug-ins provide the superior precision, advanced feature set and legendary tonal characteristics of SSL console products in affordable VST/AU/RTAS* plug-in form. They are quite simply the easiest way to get your hands on professional tools that will help you achieve professional mixes that sound like a record.
The foundations of the Duende Native collection are plug-in adaptations of two SSL console classics; the EQ & Dynamics Channel plug-in provides an EQ & Dynamics processing solution with all the power, precision, flexibility and signature tone of an SSL console channel strip… the legendary Stereo Bus Compressor plug-in gives you the classic SSL stereo master bus compressor that brings power and punch to your mix without compromising clarity. In addition to these SSL classics Duende Native includes Drumstrip and Vocalstrip which are ‘task specific’ plug-ins that each gather together a set of carefully selected and lovingly crafted processing tools to get you straight to outstanding Drum and Vocal sounds quickly and easily. X-EQ and X-Comp are both mastering grade processors that deliver superb balance of precision and tonal character. X-Verb is an incredibly powerful and flexible processor which brings beautiful hardware standard Reverb to your DAW.
Duende Native plug-ins are available to purchase individually from the SSL web store. Two boxed product bundles; Duende Native Essentials (includes; EQ & Dynamics Channel and Stereo Bus Compressor) and the Duende Native Studio Pack (includes; EQ & Dynamics Channel, Stereo Bus Compressor, Drumstrip, Vocalstrip, X-EQ and X-Comp) are available exclusively from SSL Resellers worldwide.
All Duende Native Plug-ins are available for a free, fully functional initial 30 day demo AND for ongoing periodic free demos. Duende Native is fully 64Bit capable in suitable Mac and Windows Operating Systems.
More information: Solid State Logic / Duende
*RTAS compatibility achieved using an FXPansion wrapper.
Solid State Logic has introduced the new X-Rack Stereo Dynamics Module.
The new X-Rack Module delivers the same sonic signature as the channel strip processing of SSL’s large format Duality console and the mono X-Rack SuperAnalogue™ Dynamics Module in a stereo configuration. The module is intended for stereo tracking or stem mixing and further extends the availability of SSL’s sonic heritage to studios of all sizes.
“When we first conceived of the AWS 948, we completed work on a stereo dynamics module to match the stereo input capability of the new console,” says Niall Feldman, director of new products for Solid State Logic. “Beyond the AWS 948, however, was the need for a stereo dynamics unit to round out the module offerings for X-Rack. We believe the industry will find this new module extremely valuable over a wide range of recording and mix applications.”
The X-Rack Stereo Dynamics Module is a stereo version of the powerful SuperAnalogue™ Dynamics Module. Featuring Compressor/Limiter and Expander/Gate circuits, the Stereo Dynamics Module provides the familiar SSL level control tools for both recording and mixing applications.
The Compressor section can switch between a gentle Soft Knee (Over Easy) RMS compression to a more aggressive Peak Sensing or Hard Knee mode, providing a wide range of leveling control. The secondary circuit can function as either a Noise Gate or an Expander further enhancing the creative sound sculpting possibilities. The feature set is completed by an External Key Input (mono), for triggering the unit from an external sound source, and the ability for multiple adjacent units to be linked.
X-Rack Stereo Dynamics Module features
- +4dBu Operating Level.
- Balanced Stereo Line 1/4″ Jack Input and Output.
- RMS or Peak Sense Stereo Compressor/Limiter.
- Dedicated Gain Reduction Metering.
- Independently switched Gate/Expander.
- External Key Input 1/4″ Jack.
- Link function for multiple modules.
The Stereo Dynamics Module will be available from February 2011 priced at $1,159 USD / £699 GBP / 839.50 EUR.
More information: Solid State Logic / X-Rack
Related: audio interface
, effect plugins
, Empirical Labs
, Solid State Logic
, Universal Audio
Posted in news
on Jan 13, 2011
Universal Audio has announced the impending release of UAD-2 Satellite DUO and QUAD Firewire DSP Accelerator Packages.
As the newest members of UA’s UAD-2 Powered Plug-Ins platform, the UAD-2 Satellite family combines DSP acceleration with the plug-and-play simplicity of Firewire 800/400 – perfect for modern, Intel-based iMacs and MacBook Pros.
UAD-2 SatelliteThe UAD-2 Satellite puts the entire UAD Powered Plug-Ins library within easy reach of Firewire 800 and 400-equipped computers; no PCIe card installation required. In developing these UAD plug-ins, UA’s DSP engineers work with leading hardware manufacturers – including Roland, Neve, Studer, dbx, Solid State Logic, Lexicon, Manley, Empirical Labs, Trident, SPL, EMT and more – using their exact schematics, golden units, and experienced ears. This gives computer-based musicians and engineers the warmth and harmonics of classic analog recordings, wherever they mix.
Available in DUO or QUAD processor format (with either two or four Analog Devices SHARC processors, respectively), UAD-2 Satellite packages provide a processing “boost” for digital audio workstations, and include a selection of classic analog emulation plug-ins, right out of the box.
Notable UAD-2 Satellite features include:
- Access the UAD Powered Plug-Ins library on select Firewire 800 and 400 equipped computers.
- Compatible with a wide range of modern Intel-based iMacs and MacBook Pros.
- Run larger mixes in Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Nuendo, Performer and more – without taxing host computer CPU.
- 5 models to choose from:
- DUO (Core).
- DUO Flexi (w/ $500 Plug-In Voucher).
- QUAD (Core).
- QUAD Flexi (w/ $500 Plug-In Voucher).
- QUAD Omni v5.7 (w/ 50 UAD plug-ins).
The complete line of UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerators is slated for a Q1 2011 release with prices starting at $899 MAP USD.
More information: Universal Audio
Solid State Logic has announced Nucleus, a unique, high quality DAW Controller and SuperAnalogue™ audio hub for professional project studios.
Nucleus re-defines the professional project studio with a combination of advanced DAW control, transparent SuperAnalogue™ monitoring, high class analogue mic pres, pro quality USB audio interface and bundled SSL Duende plug-ins. There is no other product available which offers the professional producer/engineer all these elements, with benchmark audio performance and elegant ergonomics. Not only is it unique but Nucleus is also outstanding value; these elements bought separately would cost more and deliver a less elegant solution.
Nucleus is a compact desktop unit that creates a comfortable, efficient, hands on operating environment for DAW based Music and Film/TV Post production. It provides everything you need to record and monitor audio and to control your DAW quickly and efficiently without resorting to your mouse. Nucleus streamlines your workflow and helps you focus on your sound, not your screen.
- Advanced DAW Controller
- HUI & MCU control; compatible with ProTools®, Logic®, Cubase/Nuendo® and all major DAW applications.
- Switch between 3 connected DAW’s with a single button press.
- Two banks of 8 channel controls plus centre section controls.
- Touch sensitive 100mm motorised faders.
- Digital Scribble Strips with assignable V-Pots and soft keys.
- Completely user customisable DAW & Key Command mapping.
- Large heavy duty transport buttons and high quality jog/shuttle wheel.
- Standard 1/4” Jack footswitch connection.
- Excellent visual feedback via self illuminating buttons, LED’s and DAW Level Metering.
- Remote Logictivity Browser for effortless configuration.
- SD card for non volatile project storage.
- Four USB sockets for use as a 4 port USB hub.
- Unique audio nerve centre for your project studio
- Benchmark SuperAnalogue™ quality output to separate +4dBu & -10dBV connections.
- High quality USB audio interface stereo record and playback path for your DAW.
- Two Combi XLR mic/line/instrument level inputs to audio interface and monitor outputs.
- Digital S/PDIF I/O to the AD/DA of the audio interface.
- Zero latency Rec monitoring with wet/dry control to balance input and DAW playback.
- SSL SuperAnalogue™ Mic Pre’s, identical to those used on SSL Duality and AWS consoles.
- Mic inputs have 80Hz High Pass Filters, Phase Reverse and Phantom Power.
- Insert send/return connections switched between inputs and DAW playback for mixdown.
- Additional ‘external’ SuperAnalogue™ input monitor path for another audio interface.
- Two headphone outputs and one iJack monitor input.
- The Duende Native Essentials Bundle
- Nucleus includes the Duende Native Essentials Bundle of VST/AU/RTAS plug-ins which includes; The SSL Channel EQ & Dynamics plug-in and the Stereo Bus Compressor plug-in.
Nucleus will be available from SSL Resellers Worldwide from Dec 2010 priced at £3000 GBP / 3599 EUR / $4999 USD (prices excl. VAT).
More information: Solid State Logic / Nucleus