Applied Acoustics Systems has releases String Studio VS-2, an updated version of the string modelling synthesizer plug-in for Windows and Mac.
String Studio VS-2 is a string modeling synthesizer plug-in that swaps the traditional oscillator sound source for a string.
With its picks, bows, hammers, fingers, frets, dampers, and soundboards, it is a unique blend of acoustic modeling and regular synth-control features—you won’t believe how crazy you can go with a simple string.
Changes in String Studio VS-2
- Factory library — The completely renewed factory library has well over 600 production-ready sounds classified for fast and intuitive exploration.
- Sean Divine signature sounds — A collection of 50 inspiring signature presets by producer Sean Divine.
- Compressor and equalizer — These new additions are perfect to add punch and definition to your sound, letting you cut through any dense mix or stage.
- Limiter — The new output limiter protects your ears and monitors during experimentation with the synth’s parameters while providing a maximum of distortion-free dynamics.
- Streamlined interface — Redesigned from the ground up, the new interface now divides String Studio VS-2 into three panels: Play presents shortcuts to the performance and effect parameters including bypass switches for quick edits; Edit lets you tweak and create your sound; while FX supplies equalizer, compressor, multi-effect, and reverb processors for a final sheen.
- Bank and program manager — String Studio VS-2’s new manager allows simple and efficient organization, backup, and sharing of your sounds.
- Backward compatible with VS-1 presets — Simply put your String Studio VS-1 exported presets in String Studio VS-2‘s bank folder to convert them.
- Overhauled effects — Reinvigorated and polished, String Studio VS-2’s multi-effect processor features our best sounding chorus, delay, phaser, flanger, distortion, notch filter, wah-wah, auto-wah, and reverb to date!
- Microtonal tunings via Scala scale files — String Studio VS-2 now supports the Scala scale file format for microtonal music making.
- Native 64-bit AU, VST, and AAX plugins — String Studio VS-2 now runs in native 64-bit on Mac OS X and Windows making it compatible with the latest sequencers.
String Studio VS-2 for Windows and Mac (VST/AU/AAX) is available for the introductory price of $99 USD until July 1st, 2014 (regular $199 USD). The just-released Frontier sound bank by Daniel Stawczyk is included free of charge during this promotion.
Spitfire Audio has announced the release of Sable – “Ensembles”, an instrument library for Native Instruments Kontakt.
We have cherry picked the most esssential and popular articulations from this blue chip library to make Sable available in an “ensembles format” for the first time. Each articulation has been painstakingly re-mixed to get the best balance of sections with no audible transitions between them. At last we can not only work these into our arrangements and orchestrations but actually compose with them from the get go too.
BML Sable is a totally unique and very special string series that concentrates on extreme detail, beauty and nuance. Made up from a small band (4,3,3,3) of the finest players London has to offer and recorded at Air Studios, one of the greatest recording studios in the world. Sable is part of the British Modular Range, arguably the greatest sounding ultra-deep-sampled orchestral range on the planet today.
Ensembles is made up of the “greatest hits” of the four volumes released thus far. From simple longs, longs muted, staccatos and spiccatos, to the beguiling flautando, sul tasto and harmonics. For users unfamiliar with the Sable range this is the opportunity to taste the riches of it whilst having the non fussy ease-of-use of an ensemble range. With the ensemble playing 15 different articulations all with full Sable spec vibrato, dynamic and round robin control, with 4 stereo mic positions, 20,996 samples giving 42.4 hours of pure content, 40.9GB uncompressed 24 bit data with a lossless compressed download size of 28.4GB.
The library is available for purchsae for the introductory price of £199 GBP until July 1st, 2014 (regular £249 GBP). Existing Sable users will receive an additional 20% off voucher for this library.
More information: Spitfire Audio / Sable – “Ensembles”
Spitfire Audio has announced Mural Strings Vol 2, the second volume in a instrument series of Kontakt libraries that feature a large symphonic string band with in-situ recorded violins, violas, cellos and basses, which each can be controlled totally independently within the collection.
This volume features a carefully curated selection of articulations to compliment volume one, giving the discerning professional greater detail, colour and depth of expression with some must-haves thrown in for good measure!
Articulations include fully functional* legato portamento & detache, carefully measured 1’0 shorts 0’5 shorts and the gentle tapping of bows against strings with col legno. Greater emotion and expression with longs molto vib (molto espressivo), haunting longs sul pont, longs sul pont con sordino, and the searing longs sul pont distorted. Heart breaking longs sul tasto with must-have measured trems and trills. Finally we have a selection fx curated, produced and orchestrated by award winning composers with “tense” longs worth the price of admission alone! We’ve also filled in some of the gaps in Volume 1 with bartok pizz, harmonics and unmeasured trems for the second violins and violas.
The library is available for purchase for the introductory price of £339 GBP until June 1st, 2014 (regular £399 GBP). In celebration of the release, volume 1 is also discounted 10% for a limited time.
More information: Spitfire / Mural Strings Vol 2
FrozenPlain has launched Ancient Chordophone, an unusual string instrument library for Native Instruments Kontakt.
Ancient Chordophone is a Kontakt 5 plucked string library. The sound could be described as an organic-hybrid guitar. It is not designed to be a ‘real’ instrument, but rather a fun and useful sound. It’s great for atmospheric stuff and for making rhythms using the included arpeggiator.
Ancient Chordophone features
- Morphed presets – with synths, strings and sustained samples.
- 3 round robin.
- Attack/ Release and Low/High EQ controls.
- Random slider that randomises note start time.
- Arpeggiator with 6 presets.
- Stereo recordings at 96kHz/24bit.
- 21 sound design impulses.
- 4 effects; distortion, rotator, reverb and tempo synced delay with presets.
- 20 presets.
The library is available to purchase for $9 USD.
More information: FrozenPlain / Ancient Chordophone
8Dio Productions has announced the release of CAGE String, the first title in a series of orchestral effects libraries for Native Instruments Kontakt.
The CAGE String Edition contains an articulation list second and comes in high-resolution wave (.wav / 24 bit / 96khz format). We wanted to create something definitive and unrivaled. The String Edition alone contains over 1100 articulations and it is near impossible to find an effect not covered.
The incredible depth of articulations is supported by our custom CAGE Chaos Engine, which contains over 80.000 lines of code. The CAGE Chaos Engine allows you to take complete control of the samples and you can control over 1.500 sample parameters with a single click. In addition you can also randomize all the rack-fx (ex. trance-gate, filters, EQ).
So imagine having the deepest set of articulations with an incredibly intuitive and powerful Chaos Engine. An infinity of possibilities.
CAGE Strings is available to purchase for the introductory price of $419 USD until April 1st, 2014 (regular $499 USD). The library is also included in the CAGE Bundle incl. pre-order of CAGE Brass (March 5th) and CAGE Woodwinds (March 12th), priced at $897 USD.
More information: 8Dio / CAGE String Edition
FrozenPlain has announced the release of Phoenix, a strings and choir instrument library for Native Instruments Kontakt which offers more than just samples.
Phoenix handles almost like a synth; it has envelopes, velocity controls, 2 customisable LFOs and 6 effects.
The sounds themselves originate from synthesisers and from granulised real samples – these have a characteristic smooth and organic sound. The 6 layers can be mixed, tuned, panned and even modulated with custom waveforms from LFOs.
Phoenix is good for big sustains – pads, string ensembles, ambient, spacy pads and it will work well for any genre.
- Samples originate from synthesisers. They have a smooth rich tone.
- 6 layers or ‘oscillators’ which can be mixed, tuned and panned.
- ADSR and velocity controls for volume and low pass filter.
- 2 custom LFOs; draw your own waveforms and see the modulation happen.
- Phoenix can create everything from realistic string ensembles to sci-fi beeps and pads.
- 6 effects; chorus, phaser, flanger, distortion, reverb with 21 impulses and tempo synced delay.
- 17 presets.
The library is available to purchase for $34 USD. Requires full version of Kontakt 5.
More information: FrozenPlain / Phoenix
AudioThing has announced a plug-in version of Strings, the sample library previously released for Kontakt and IRIS.
Strings is a collection of sampled string instruments ported from our homonymic sampleset for iZotope Iris.
This soundset includes synths, pads, soundscapes, drones, and many effects derived from strings samples. The sampled instruments were a Tenayo AutoHarp, a Romanian Toy Harp, a Baton Rouge Soprano Ukulele, a Chinese Violin, and a Squier Bass.
Strings (VST/AU) features
- 50 Instruments.
- 50 Samples (44.1kHz/24Bit).
- Formats: AU and VST (32/64bit).
- Platforms: OSX, Windows.
- Sample sets including: autoharp, toy harp, ukulele, bowed violin, bass.
Strings is available to purchase for 12 EUR.
More information: AudioThing / Strings