Tronsonic has announced the release of Solino String Proto Ensemble MK 1, a virtual instrument library for Native Instruments Kontakt.
A recreation of an imaginary EMINENT SOLINA STRING ENSEMBLE ‘PROTOTYPE’ – perhaps found in the basement of the old Eminent factory in Holland.
Sampled from the original MARK1 version (with ensemble effect always ON).
With customisable ‘EQ MODULATION’ EFFECT (see 2nd video down), plus 2 PHASERS – allowing a different variety of ensemble with a wide range of movement, for complex and evolving synthesized orchestral sounds.
The sound library is available to purchase for the introductory price of £14.99 GBP until November 1st, 2013 (25% off regular).
More information: Tronsonic / Solino String Proto Ensemble MK 1
Rhythmic Robot has released Godwin, a virtual Godwin String Concert instrument for Native Instruments Kontakt.
This was an analogue ensemble string synth similar in function to the models offered by Logan or ARP but with a tone very much of its own. The basic synthesised waveforms of the original were processed by a complex modulation section and a thick onboard chorus effect to generate a rich and evolving string sound which then passed through treble and bass filters. The control set was minimal, but the resulting chorused string sound had a peculiarly sweet tone which has led Sound on Sound magazine, for example, to rank it as sounding better than the more famous Solina.
Godwin aims to recreate the Godwin String Concert as closely as possible while adding some touches of modern functionality. It takes multiple samples of the original instrument in a variety of states – chorused, with and without tremolo, etc. – and allows the user to blend them in exactly the same way as the original. The lush analogue chorus of the original is retained but can be switched in and out, while a contemporary stereo chorus can also be added in to generate a wide stereo spread to the sound (the original Godwin was mono only). Velocity sensitivity broadens the responsiveness of the original machine.
- 24-bit multisamples of an original Godwin String Concert.
- Retains original Chorus and “Tremolo” (modulation) effects.
- Modern stereo chorus and velocity sensitivity.
- Attack and Decay controls.
- Simple and immediate interface controlling a rich vintage sound.
The Godwin library is available for the introductory price of £12.95 GBP (regular £14.95 GBP). Requires Kontakt 4.2.3+ full version.
More information: Rhythmic Robot / Godwin
Hideaway Studio has announced The String Collection, a string synthesizer sound library for Native Instruments Kontakt.
It features 16 synthetic strings presented in the 4 voice layering engine made by carefully blending and tube processing several native analog sources including 1938 Novachord, 1972 Eminent 310U, 1978 ARP Omni, SE Omega 8 and Crumar Bit One as well as several experimental discrete analog/tube based exponential sawtooth, waveshaping, passive L/C and EQ circuits.
The String Collection features a number of tube processed layers and blends of string synthesizers, brought together to form the basic 16 instruments loaded into the layering engine in NI Kontakt.
The String Collection features
- 244 generously long 24-bit samples.
- 16 multi-sampled voices/partials.
- 4-Voice Layering Engine with ability to save.
- 12 editable example instrument patches.
- 2 example layered multi patches.
- User Manual.
The sample library is available to purchase for £10 GBP. Requires Kontakt 4.2.4 or higher, full version.
More information: Hideaway Studio / The String Collection
The Interruptor has announced the release of Night Flight, a virtual analogue string ensemble synthesizer instrument for Windows.
Night Flight emulates analogue string ensemble keyboards invented in the early 70′s.
String machines have been widely used in Pop, Rock, Funk, Reggae, Soul, and Disco music throughout the seventies and up to the early eighties when they were popular with New Wave acts. In recent years the sound has stirred interest again due to it’s distinct character and undeniable vintage charm.
“Night Flight” does not use any samples. It is based on an emulation of the ensemble effect first used by Eminent / Solina back in 1972 and an organ-like sound generation (octave divider). You will also find a number of features inspired by other string machines like the 3 band equalizer from the Crumar Performer or the Envelope Filter on the very rare ARP String Synthesizer.
Night Flight features
- 3 Oscillators (8 waveforms, pulse width control).
- Up to three simultaneous ensemble effects modelled on the eminent/solina architecture. Full access to the internal parameters of the ensemble effects.
- Optional divide-down mode featuring organ style phase-locked octaves.
- 3-Band Equalizer: Each band can be configured and automated via the LFO.
- Filter: 5 modes (LP2, LP4, BP, HP2, HP4), resonance, cutoff modulation via ADSR envelope, LFO, velocity or keyfollow.
- Amplifier section:
- Attack and Release. Decay and Sustain are available as under-the-hood parameters.
- For each oscillator a simple organ envelope can be selected as an alternative to the ADSR envelope.
- 1 LFO routable to pitch (vibrato), Filter cutoff or equalizer automation. Optional note sync.
- Selectable keyboard split points for bass and string footages.
- Effects section:
- phaser (two models) + delay/echo.
- configurable effect routing.
Night Flight for Windows (VST) is available to purchase for the introductory price of $9 USD until April 15th, 2013.
More information: The Interruptor / Night Flight
Loomer has released version 1.3.11 of its String virtual string synthesizer for Windows, Mac and Linux.
String is a virtual instrument that emulates the beautiful sound of the polyphonic string synthesizer.
String’s authentic tone comes from its accurate emulation of the divide-down oscillator technology behind the lush ensemble synths of the 70s.
Changes in String v1.3.11
- (feature) Keyboard entry of rotary parameter values. Rotary controls can now be typed directly into by clicking on the text value below the control.
- (fix: Mac OS X Audio Unit) Space key-presses will now always be passed through to Ableton Live, ensuring that Live’s transport can be started and stopped, even when String’s UI is selected.
- (improvement: Mac OS X) Installer and all installed components are now signed in compliance with Mac OS X 10.8′s Gatekeeper system.
- (improvement: Windows) The 32-bit and 64-bit VST plug-ins are now installed as separate components. You can choose which one(s) to install, as well as selecting different install folders for each architecture.
- (improvement: Linux) When using the JACK audio system in standalone mode, the JACK Transport will now control String’s tempo.
- (fix: RTAS) Fix for the right-channel muting when bypassing in Pro Tools when used on a mono to stereo track.
- (improvement) Significantly improved UI response speed; reduced CPU usage when parameters are automated whilst the UI is open.
- (improvement: Windows) Clearer font rendering on preset browser.
- (improvement: Windows) Removed C++ runtime libraries redistributable requirement for RTAS plug-ins. The installer no longer installs the C++ runtime library redistributable components when installing the RTAS plug-ins.
- (fix: Linux) User presets are now correctly sorted in alphabetical order within the preset browser.
String is available to purchase for £50 GBP + VAT.
More information: Loomer / String