Hideaway Studio has announced The String Collection, a string synthesizer sound library for Native Instruments Kontakt.
It features 16 synthetic strings presented in the 4 voice layering engine made by carefully blending and tube processing several native analog sources including 1938 Novachord, 1972 Eminent 310U, 1978 ARP Omni, SE Omega 8 and Crumar Bit One as well as several experimental discrete analog/tube based exponential sawtooth, waveshaping, passive L/C and EQ circuits.
The String Collection features a number of tube processed layers and blends of string synthesizers, brought together to form the basic 16 instruments loaded into the layering engine in NI Kontakt.
The String Collection features
- 244 generously long 24-bit samples.
- 16 multi-sampled voices/partials.
- 4-Voice Layering Engine with ability to save.
- 12 editable example instrument patches.
- 2 example layered multi patches.
- User Manual.
The sample library is available to purchase for £10 GBP. Requires Kontakt 4.2.4 or higher, full version.
More information: Hideaway Studio / The String Collection
The Interruptor has announced the release of Night Flight, a virtual analogue string ensemble synthesizer instrument for Windows.
Night Flight emulates analogue string ensemble keyboards invented in the early 70′s.
String machines have been widely used in Pop, Rock, Funk, Reggae, Soul, and Disco music throughout the seventies and up to the early eighties when they were popular with New Wave acts. In recent years the sound has stirred interest again due to it’s distinct character and undeniable vintage charm.
“Night Flight” does not use any samples. It is based on an emulation of the ensemble effect first used by Eminent / Solina back in 1972 and an organ-like sound generation (octave divider). You will also find a number of features inspired by other string machines like the 3 band equalizer from the Crumar Performer or the Envelope Filter on the very rare ARP String Synthesizer.
Night Flight features
- 3 Oscillators (8 waveforms, pulse width control).
- Up to three simultaneous ensemble effects modelled on the eminent/solina architecture. Full access to the internal parameters of the ensemble effects.
- Optional divide-down mode featuring organ style phase-locked octaves.
- 3-Band Equalizer: Each band can be configured and automated via the LFO.
- Filter: 5 modes (LP2, LP4, BP, HP2, HP4), resonance, cutoff modulation via ADSR envelope, LFO, velocity or keyfollow.
- Amplifier section:
- Attack and Release. Decay and Sustain are available as under-the-hood parameters.
- For each oscillator a simple organ envelope can be selected as an alternative to the ADSR envelope.
- 1 LFO routable to pitch (vibrato), Filter cutoff or equalizer automation. Optional note sync.
- Selectable keyboard split points for bass and string footages.
- Effects section:
- phaser (two models) + delay/echo.
- configurable effect routing.
Night Flight for Windows (VST) is available to purchase for the introductory price of $9 USD until April 15th, 2013.
More information: The Interruptor / Night Flight
Loomer has released version 1.3.11 of its String virtual string synthesizer for Windows, Mac and Linux.
String is a virtual instrument that emulates the beautiful sound of the polyphonic string synthesizer.
String’s authentic tone comes from its accurate emulation of the divide-down oscillator technology behind the lush ensemble synths of the 70s.
Changes in String v1.3.11
- (feature) Keyboard entry of rotary parameter values. Rotary controls can now be typed directly into by clicking on the text value below the control.
- (fix: Mac OS X Audio Unit) Space key-presses will now always be passed through to Ableton Live, ensuring that Live’s transport can be started and stopped, even when String’s UI is selected.
- (improvement: Mac OS X) Installer and all installed components are now signed in compliance with Mac OS X 10.8′s Gatekeeper system.
- (improvement: Windows) The 32-bit and 64-bit VST plug-ins are now installed as separate components. You can choose which one(s) to install, as well as selecting different install folders for each architecture.
- (improvement: Linux) When using the JACK audio system in standalone mode, the JACK Transport will now control String’s tempo.
- (fix: RTAS) Fix for the right-channel muting when bypassing in Pro Tools when used on a mono to stereo track.
- (improvement) Significantly improved UI response speed; reduced CPU usage when parameters are automated whilst the UI is open.
- (improvement: Windows) Clearer font rendering on preset browser.
- (improvement: Windows) Removed C++ runtime libraries redistributable requirement for RTAS plug-ins. The installer no longer installs the C++ runtime library redistributable components when installing the RTAS plug-ins.
- (fix: Linux) User presets are now correctly sorted in alphabetical order within the preset browser.
String is available to purchase for £50 GBP + VAT.
More information: Loomer / String
WOK has announced the release of Estrima, a virtual string machine instrument for Windows.
Liking this lush pad sound of the 60s/70s ? ESTRIMA is the little sister of our Cromina string machine. It creates this famous, swirling sound with a minimum of hassle. Also there is a choir voicing on board to treat you ears with this old “Aaahh”-sound ;-)
Unlike our big Cromina, it does not have the full polyphonic octave divider simulation, but a simplified phase lock for the 20 voices to reduce CPU load. There is a paraphonic envelope simulation too.
Also on board is a 3x chorus and a deep phaser. The waveform-shape of strings and choir can be varied to achieve the sound of different vintage machines. Auto pitch-bend (for the choir) and vibrato complete this straightforward little toy.
Estrima for Windows (VST) is available to purchase for the “Spring-2013-Maya-fail” introductory price of 9.87 EUR.
More information: WOK / Estrima
Precisionsound has announced the release of Tranzitone, a new sound library for Native Instruments Kontakt which combines the sounds and features of a transistor organ, a string machine, and an analogue-style synthesizer.
Tranzitone expands the traditional transistor organ concept by adding powerful synthesiser functions in Kontakt 4 and 5. Instead of transistor switches, you have multiple drawbars, ADSR envelopes, a Moog-style ladder filter, Leslie cabinet and rotating speaker, convolution reverb with custom impulses, and much more.
The multisampled registers of Tranzitone have their source in the flagship Electone D-85 organ by Yamaha.
Twenty-nine simultaneous registers, including five dedicated bass registers, allow you to build up complex sound textures unlike anything else around.
- Over 700 samples at 24-bit, 44.1 kHz quality.
- Easy-to-use interface for comprehensive sound design.
- Collection of 60 presets + a default NKI to use as a starting point for your own patches.
Tranzitone for Kontakt (requires Kontakt 4 or 5 full version) is available to purchase for $39 USD.
More information: Precisionsound / Tranzitone
, instrument plugins
, string machine
Posted in news
on May 01, 2012
UVI has announced String Machines, a hybrid instrument forged with the analog imprint of the 11 most musical string synthesizers ever built.
Back in the 70′s, leading keyboard designers around the world attempted to reproduce orchestral string sounds through analog synthesis. The results were far from their original intent but were in no way failures. Used on countless cult records and engrained in our collective memory to this day – these ‘String Machines’ bore an analog soul on their own.
At UVI we are obsessed with this, having spent countless hours working on ways to capture this analog soul and present it as an accessible, expressive, fully editable digital tool. So was born String Machines – a hybrid instrument forged with the analog imprint of the 11 most musical string synthesizers ever built.
UVI has painstaking recorded thousands of samples with the very best analog and digital gear available, putting in all experience ever learned to bring you this comprehensive instrument at an unbelievable price.
String Machines features
- Authentic sounds with character reproduce the analog grunge and warmth of yesteryear.
- Instant access to tons of presets and preset layers; find sounds you love and get inspired quickly.
- Dual layers. Select the machine and the associated sounds.
- No loading time when switching machines and sounds.
- Shape your sounds using authentic analog-modeled filters, envelopes, and LFOs.
- Experiment with the step modulator and take your sound out of this world!
- Samples recorded in 24/96 khz with Prism convertors, mastered to perfection and converted to 16/44.1 kHz.
- Included machines: Korg Poly Ensemble PE2000, Eko Stradivarius, Siel Orchestra, Excelsior Strings Synthesizer K4, Logan String Melody, Crumar Performer, Elka Rhapsody, Solina String Ensemble, Yamaha SS30, ROLAND RS-505 & VP-330.
String Machines is available to purchase for $99 USD / 89 EUR.
More information: UVI / String Machines