MIDI HACK is a 24h hackathon sponsored by Ableton, Native Instruments & Spotify celebrating the protocols (such as MIDI, OSC & CV) and technologies that are the backbone of analog and digital music creation.
The MIDI HACK weekend will offer lectures and performances from artists and creators. The focus of the event will be on letting our participants create new and ground breaking ideas.
The goal of MIDI HACK is to bring together industry leaders, interesting start-ups, software developers, hardware fanatics and musicians who push the envelope of music creation, and to spawn great and creative ideas for the future. Ever wanted to rip apart MIDI controllers to create a new one? Maybe write a new VST or AU? Or how about finding new ways to perform? Then this is the hack for you.
The name MIDI HACK derives from the midi protocol that has defined music creation for more than 30 years. Together with OSC (Open Sound Control – an open source version of the same idea) and CV (Control Voltage – used to control analogue synthesizers) they are the three pillars of music creation today whenever there’s a synthesizer or computer involved.
A hack is a abbreviation of hackathon, a defined space that during a limited tine engages people in overcome a defined target or investigate a certain subject. Midi hack is aimed for the people who love music creation and sees a potential for involvement within the area.
MIDI HACK will take place May 17th-18th, 2014, at Spotify HQ, Stockholm – Sweden. The application form opens Tuesday March 18th, and closes March 30th, 2014.
More information: MIDI HACK
, Hugo Hedberg
, samples and sound libraries
Posted in news
on Jul 02, 2012 - 0 comments
Precisionsound has announced the Hedberg Travel Organ, a sample library for Kontakt, EXS24, HALion & SoundFont.
The “Hedberg Travel organ” is a 4 octave Swedish folding harmonium made in Enskede, Stockholm, Sweden, around 1950 by “Hugo Hedberg”.
This instrument combines brilliance and simplicity in something that looks like an ordinary suitcase. But don´t let the appearance deceive you—it’s a great example of a completely acoustic, portable keyboard instrument.
With a warm and stable tone quality, different from both the accordion and bigger harmoniums, it will be a useful element in genres as Folk, Country and Jazz – but also in a simple acoustic guitar-vocal setup. The instrument has been used as a Missionary Organ, for playing psalms in outdoor services.
Hedberg Travel Organ with custom interface for Native Instruments Kontakt.
Hedberg Travel Organ features
- 117 24bit WAV files, chromatically sampled and recorded in stereo. Range is C1 to C5 with the last note stretched to C6 so you get 5 octaves. Includes notes and release samples, as well as noise samples.
- 2 programs for all versions of Steinberg HALion.
- 2 programs for Logic EXS24.
- 2 programs for NI Kontakt v1 and v2.
- 1 program for NI Kontakt v3 v4 & v5.
- 2 programs in the SoundFont format (16bit).
- The SoundFont versions are 100% compatible with all virtual samplers supporting the SoundFont format like Dimension Pro (Cakewalk), Free SFZ player, NN-XT (Reason) and more.
- Full version of Kontakt 3, 4 or 5 is required for the Kontakt versions (Free Kontakt Player not supported).
The sample library is available to purchase for $25 USD (+$11 USD for DVD).
More information: Precisionsound / Hedberg Travel Organ
Precisionsound has released Gefle Bells, a unique sampleset recorded in the Bell tower at the city hall of Gävle in Sweden.
Each of the 36 gigantic bells has been sampled with care to catch each bell characteristic. Each bell has a very rich series of harmonic tones witch makes each bell quite unique.
Because the fact that the bells are hand made, they are not 100% chromatic (no bell tower are), even though the Gävle Bells are famous for being extremely well tuned.
Gefle Bells features
- 71 Stereo 24bit WAV samples.
- 3 programs for Kontakt and HALion.
- 2 SoundFont 16bit programs compatible with Gigastudio EXS24 and all virtual samplers supporting the SoundFont format.
- Three packages available (all formats are included when you buy the sampleset)
- Optimized, this package has some bells removed and others stretched to fit most musical styles and an expanded key range from B0 to C6.
- Original, the original recordings with all 36 bells just the way they sound in the reality. Some of the bells sound distorted, but that is actually the way those bells sound naturally. The “C1#” is missing, just because that the bell itself was too big to physical fit the bell tower itself. This program has a non stretched natural range from C1 to C4.
- Original Expanded, like the original but with expanded range from B0 to C6 and a stretched C1 sample to the C#1 key.
Gefle Bells is available as a digital download for $19 USD (CD-Rom optional).
Precisionsound currently has a 30% winter sale discount so you can get Gefle Bells for only $13.30 USD.
More information: Precisionsound / Gefle Bells
If you’re ever in Stockholm, Sweden, you might run into one of Masquearde‘s knit graffiti pieces.
Masquerade: A ring tagged with colorful knit graffiti
They even made a tourist map so you know where to find these little works of street art.
We have marked a yarn graffiti trail for you, to guide you to the most charming, delightful, magnificent, pleasant and stunning places in this city.
Pretty and quite harmless! Visit Flickr for more images of Masquerade.
Also check Knitta, another tag crew of knitters, bombing the inner city with vibrant, stitched works of art, wrapped around everything from beer bottles on easy nights to public monuments and utility poles on more ambitious outings.
Link via MakeZine