Noisefirm has released DigiTape Hybrid Drums, a library of drum sounds for Kontakt that combines the best advantages of digital and analog audio technology.
All of the library’s sounds were sculpted from digital oscillators and noise generators, and then processed and transformed with DSP. The samples were then printed through an analog tape recorder at variable levels of saturation to achieve an optimum level of harmonic distortion.
The end result is an unique library of kicks, snares, percussion and other textures that combine the creative flexibility of digital synthesis and DSP with the warmth of analog tape.
DigiTape Hybrid Drums features
- Over 300 samples of hybrid digital/analog drums, effects, and textures in 24-bit 48kHz Wavs.
- Kontakt instrument (full retail version 4.2 or later) with custom scripting and GUI.
- Uncompressed disk space needed: 150 MB.
- 11 Included Kontakt patches for convenient ready-to-use drum layouts.
- Custom interface includes:
- Low Pass Filter with resonance and cutoff controls.
- Variable BitCrusher with bitrate and sample rate controls.
- Reverb with room size and level controls.
- Sculpted with digital noise generators and oscillators.
- Samples printed through 1/4″ Studer analog tape recorder at various levels of saturation.
- Plug-n-Play samples are ready to drop into your sampler/drum machine of choice.
The library is available to purchase for the introductory price of $19 USD.
More information: Noisefirm / DigiTape Hybrid Drums
HeadlessBuddha Samples has announced Tape DD-10, a free drum machine library for Native Instruments Kontakt.
HeadlessBuddha Samples Tape DD-10 sampled instrument for NI Kontakt.
‘What a cool old dirty drum machine!’– Me about the Yamaha DD-10 when I first saw it some years ago.
This is really a charming lo-fi low cost 8-bit drum machine released in 1988 aimed at the home market and I really love it. I’m writing in first person because I wanted to get really personal about this one. This is one of my all time favorites and it’s the sample pack I use the most when it comes to drum machines.
Tape DD-10 features
- 75 Samples (three round robins on each drum).
- 1 Kontakt instrument.
- 44.1kHz/24 bit .wav format.
- All recorded through tape.
- Bonus: 17 personal impulse responses to make your sound even more unique. One of them was even recorded through tape too.
The sample pack is a free download from the HeadlessBuddha Samples Facebook (no like required).
More information: HeadlessBuddha Samples / Tape DD-10
The Drum Broker has launched The Drums, a limited edition beat tape compilation by !.B.F.K.W.
!.B.F.K.W. (!llmind Beats For Kanye West) is a FREE “beat-tape” compilation containing beats that !llmind created during the era of Kanye West’s “Cruel Summer” album in 2012.
For ONE DAY ONLY (11/29 Black Friday), !llmind will release all of the drums used on this critically-acclaimed compilation, for your own personal use, completely royalty-free.
!.B.F.K.W. “The Drums” features
- 76 drum sounds (kicks, snares, hi-hats & more) in WAV format.
- All drum sounds were sampled into an Ensoniq ASR-10 AND Akai S-20 at 33khz/12-bit for maximum warmth + punch!
- NO reverb or delays added make layering easy and more flexible.
- NO compression or saturation/flat “pancake” sounds.
- All drum sounds were hand-picked, created, stripped, and taken straight from the drums used in the critically acclaimed !BFKW (!llmind Beats For Kanye West) EP!
- All drums are completely Royalty-Free.
- Includes exclusive Kanye West themed artwork by Naturel.
The pack is available to purchase for $24.99 USD, on November 29th only. The release is limited to 100 copies.
The Drum Broker has also launched a Black Friday Sale, offering a 50% discount on all its drumkits, breaks and samples. Use promo code BLACKFRIDAY at checkout.
More information: Drum Broker / !.B.F.K.W. The Drums
Psychic Modulation has released version 1.4 of its Phonec synthesizer instrument for Windows.
Phonec is best described as an ‘analog flux synthesizer’. Inspired by the mystique of video logo synth scores from worn out VHS tapes, Phonec was primarily designed with character in mind.
However Phonec is capable of producing a wide range of sounds such as vintage analogue tones, lo-fi synthscapes, ethereal pads, minimal techno sequences, and synthwave leads and basses.
Changes in Phonec v1.4
- Overall sound improvements.
- New Pulse Width oscillator modes.
- Added new switch for retriggering the oscillator phase on each note; produces a much more solid sound; excellent for outrun style basslines.
- New LFO & envelope targets: Filter attack/decay & pulse width.
- Added invert switches to mod envelopes.
- Sub Oscillator can now switch to square wave; produces a much fatter sound than sine.
Phonec for Windows (VST) is available to purchase for $39 USD.
More information: Psychic Modulation / Phonec
u-he has released a new public beta version of the Satin tape machine effect plug-in for Windows and Mac.
Here’s a new version of Satin 1.1.1 (might become Satin 1.2):
Satin rev 2033 Win
Satin rev 2033 Mac
Apart from the good points we had in build 1973 (faster loading, less RAM, less CPU/denormals etc. etc.) this one
- fixes possible crash bug in VST3 (Wavelab)
- fixes possible crash bug in Group Controller
- fixes problem with hosts picky about channel layouts
- more fixes of little issues and niggles
Visit the u-he forum at KVR Audio for more details and make sure to let the u-he team know if you experience any issues.
More information: u-he / Satin
Cakewalk has announced that a purchase of SONAR X3 Studio or Producer through November 30, 2013, comes with a free Delay effect module for ProChannel from Overloud.
Overloud VKFX (Vintage Keyboard FX) is a virtual rack packed with outstanding models of vintage analog effect processors. All 8 VST / ProChannel Modules are available individually and also included in the VKFX bundle.
The FREE VKFX Delay module harkens back to the days of tape echo. The original tape echo effect was created by recording an input signal to tape via a tape head and then replaying that signal through another tape head. By placing several heads at different distances along the tape path, they were also able to create different syncopations of delay depending on which heads were monitored.
One feature of tape delays which was lost in the digital move forward was the effect on the sound of the tape itself. In tape delays, the signal is delayed by keeping it on the magnetic tape for a time. For every repetition of the delay, the signal is recorded to and played back from the tape. The more repetitions, the more intense is the effect of the tape on the sound.
The VKFX delay utilises an intelligent tape simulation algorithm which reproduces both the compression effects and frequency response of analogue tape for each repetition of the delayed signal.
All customers who have purchased and registered SONAR X3 Studio and Producer qualify for the free download.
More information: Cakewalk
u-he has released public beta revision 1973 of its Satin tape machine effect plug-in for Windows and Mac.
Users familiar with analogue recording gear should instantly feel at home with Satin, and digital afficionados will also learn to love the magic of tape – Satin invites you to explore and find out for yourself.
Changes in Satin rev1973
- Ultra-fast gui loading (we hope).
- Denormals fixed on AAX.
- Fixed CPU spikes on playback start.
- Fixed too much RAM use.
- No more excessive dynamic latency reporting.
- Shift-mousewheel works on AU as well now.
The public beta is available to download for Windows and Mac from the u-he forum at KVR Audio.
More information: u-he / Satin
, Abbey Road
, effect plugins
Posted in news
on Oct 15, 2013
Waves and Abbey Road Studios have launched the J37 tape saturation plugin, a precision model of the very machine used to record many of the greatest masterpieces in modern music.
With a variety of user-adjustable controls including Tape Speed, Bias, Noise, Saturation, Wow and Flutter, the Waves: Abbey Road J37 faithfully recreates the inimitable sonic signature of the original machine. In addition to the J37 itself, three exclusive oxide tape formulas have been modeled.
Specially developed by EMI during the ‘60s and ‘70s, each formula has its own unique frequency response and harmonic distortion behavior. In order to push the envelope even further, a comprehensive Tape Delay unit has been added to complement those warm tones.
The Waves: Abbey Road J37 tape emulation plugin will bring stunning analog warmth to your digital recordings, delivering a level of hardware realism never before experienced “in the box.”
Abbey Road J37 features
- Tape saturation plugin.
- Created in association with Abbey Road Studios.
- Modeled on the machine used to create countless classic ’60s tracks.
- Includes models of three exclusive tape formulas developed by EMI.
- Adds analog warmth to digital recordings.
- Controls for Bias, Wow, Flutter, Tape Speed and more.
- Comprehensive Tape Delay including three different delay types, Sync, LP and HP filter controls and more.
The J37 plug-in is available to purchase for the introductory price of $149 USD (Native) / $249 USD (Soundgrid).
More information: Waves / J37 Tape