Samples From Mars has announced the release of the TR 808 Samples Library, a collection of 493 samples from the Roland TR-808 drum machine, recorded through an SSL 4000 G+ console.
We are in love with the Roland TR-808 and all of the genres it has created and inspired (Electro -> Hip Hop – > Boogie -> House -> Techno -> Trap -> Pop). And although the (world’s most popular?) drum machine has been sampled many times, as collectors of 808 samples for over 10 years, we believe we have succeeded in creating a truly unique 808 sample pack.
If you are like us and already own 10+ different 808 libraries, we are confident you will still find yourself reaching for this 808 kit again and again, because we’ve used different gear and artistic judgement to create the sounds in our own style.
TR 808 Samples Library features
- Over 450 professional quality, punchy and clear TR 808 samples.
- Recorded with classic, vintage analog gear and re-pitched on tape.
- Instant Download.
The sample pack costs $18 USD.
More information: Samples From Mars / TR 808 Samples Library
ToneBytes has announced Tape Noise, a VST format plug-in for Windows, which adds the sound and atmosphere of analog recordings to your tracks and mixes.
The purpose of the plug-in is to add real sounding analog noises from different sources. For this goal, Tape Noise has 21 delicious tape noise profiles, sampled from actual magnetic tapes, compact cassettes and reels such as TDK D-C60, Maxell XLII-S, DENON RD50, BASF chromdioxide super II, etc.
With the help of the embedded equalizer, it is possible to either emphasize or reduce those parts of the noise profile you want. The features of the equalizer are selected in such a way that it keeps its use of noise sounding natural.
Built-in preset based tape frequency response simulator and Wow’n’Flutter also adds some vintage feeling to your sound.
Tape Noise features
- 32 Factory presets based on 21 of actual tape noise profiles.
- Built-in preset manager makes it easy to save the settings and quickly access them or share them with other Tape Noise users.
- VST automation and full MIDI Learning are supported.
The plugin costs $20 USD / 15 EUR.
More information: ToneBytes / Tape Noise
u-he has released version 1.1 of the Satin tape machine/delay effect plug-in for Windows and Mac.
We took a journey back to the Golden Age of magnetic tape recording. We wanted to recreate all kinds of tape machines in software, from the ground up. After many months spent on research, measurement and on developing an architecture that would be flexible enough for the job, we knew we had nailed it…
But we couldn’t stop there: We added the old noise-reduction systems that were often (mis)used for timbral compression effects. Then more heads and a global feedback path, which made an uber-tape-delay and realistic ‘one-shot’ tape flanging possible.
Changes in Satin v1.1
- Added lower hiss levels and auto mute.
- Fixed buffersize bug in delay feedback.
- Added lower tape speeds.
- Various little bugs fixed.
Satin for Windows and Mac (VST/AU/RTAS) is available to purchase for $129 USD.
More information: u-he / Satin
MPC-Samples has announced SP Neptune, a collection of multi-sampled synth sounds programmed, recorded and edited by UK producer and musician Canedrive.
MPC-Samples.com is very proud to announce the release of ‘SP Neptune’, a stunning collection of multisampled sounds generated primarily from the Spectral Audio Neptune 2 analogue synth, with an accompanying library of sounds resampled and recorded through the Emu SP-12 and the Akai 4000DS vintage tape machine for some of the richest sounding synth samples you’re ever likely to hear.
SP-Neptune is a sublime combination of fat, powerful analogue synth sounds and the grit, warmth and crunch of classic vintage gear.
SP Neptune features
- Bass – two powerful synth bass sounds covering 3 octaves per program (6 notes per octave)
- Strings – a lush string multisample program, sampled over 7 octaves using 4 notes per octave.
- Lead sounds – Five rich lead sounds with each program covering 5 octaves with 4 notes per octave (5 further variants with different LFO & filter settings are included for the MPC4000/5000/Ren/Studio).
- Drum Kit – a fat, ballsy and unashamedly grimy kit featuring 32 electronic, acoustic and layered drum sounds (kicks, snares, claps, hats and percussion) all thoroughly seeped in 12 bit goodness.
- Sound Library – 115 original tones, wacky modulations, filter sweeps and other various short synth sounds, created using a Juno analogue synth, Akai MFC42 filter, Alesis Andromeda and resampled through the Emu SP12.
- All 345 sounds are provided in 24 bit /48kHz and 16bit /44.1kHz WAV format.
- Includes native MPC programs compatible with MPC Renaissance/Studio/1000/2500/5000/4000/500 and JJOS which map the multisampled instruments chromatically across your MPC pads.
The sample pack costs £17.99 GBP.
More information: MPC-Samples / SP Neptune
u-he has announced the release of its Satin Tape Machine effect plugin for Windows and Mac.
Apart from delivering authentic tape machine effects, Satin is capable of much more ‘left-field” tape sound processing (including tape flanging and multi-tap delay).
With its three operation modes, SATIN is an all-rounder: Studio mode is predestined for multichannel tape saturation effects, all optionally controlled from a single instance. Delay mode offers complex multitap tape delays, and Flange does true through-zero tape flanging (think Small Faces “Itchycoo Park” or Hendrix “Bold as Love”). In all modes, the tape speed is continuously variable from 7.5 to 30 inches per second.
While aiming for a complete simulation of classic tape machines, u-he also decided to include the noise reduction circuits. This is not spurious whimsy: the classic compander models can be used for decoding old tape recordings, or for dynamic processing and colouration effects such as – a known trick amongst seasoned tape-ops – enhancing background vocals and e.g. acoustic guitars.
- Mix-and-match emulation spans all major historical developments in tape technology.
- Control multiple instances from one panel – ‘glue’ multiple tracks together.
- High-quality: internal sample rate up to 384kHz, continuous tape speed control.
- All the ‘goodness’ of tape (saturation, transient-smoothing, HF compression etc.).
- Full control over the ‘badness’ (head-bump, wow&flutter, asperity noise, hiss etc.).
- Record / repro EQ standards (separately selectable), classic NR compander standards.
- Extra FX modes: through-zero tape flanging, host-synchronizable 4-tap stereo delay.
Satin for Windows and Mac (VST/AU) is available to purchase for $129 USD. AAX is in development.
More information: u-he / Satin
ToneBoosters has released version 2.9.1 of its audio effect plug-ins for Windows and Mac.
Our audio plugins are based on more than a decade of scientific research and product development in the areas of digital signal processing and auditory perception.
Changes in version 2.9.1
- All plugins
- Improved key press handling when plugins are in and out of focus.
- Improved stability on OSX.
- TB ReelBus
- New tape model (Glue tape II).
- New control for adjustable low/high frequency pre-post emphasis.
- New control for adjustable mid/side pre-post emphasis.
- New tape stop simulation feature.
- New noise reduction simulation.
- Various quality improvements.
- “Normal” (low CPU) and “High Quality” modes available to reduce the CPU load by almost a factor of 3 (depending on platform).
The new downloads are now available.
More information: ToneBoosters
UVI has announced the release of Mello, an authentic-sounding software recreation of the tape-based Mellotron instrument.
With Mello we’ve aimed to deliver a complete and authentic recreation of this prolific instrument. Dozens of original tapes were multi-sampled on 3 different machines in order to give you the best representation of each of the 28 available sounds. To capture the live experience the key noise and inner mechanical sounds were stereo recorded, including tape noise and key-off sounds, and are all mixable to taste.
To make Mello even more versatile we’ve added a few tricks of our own, including an analog-modeled tape delay, reverb, a custom unison mode to give you stereo sound without unwanted transposition or chorusing, a switchable multimode filter, a 3-band EQ and more.
Mello delivers a warm and buttery tone indistinguishable from the original and is, in every way we could make it, a perfect tribute to the quintessential studio instrument of the 60′s.
- Pristine and comprehensive sample library from 3 original machines.
- Mixable key and mechanical noise for authentic experience.
- Switchable keyboard range (original or extended).
- Stereo modes including custom unison.
- Switchable multimode filter with cutoff and resonance.
- ADSR envelopes for amplitude and filter with velocity sensitivity.
- 3-band EQ with sweepable mid frequency.
- Built-in SparkVerb.
- Analog-modeled tape delay.
UVI’s Twitter followers and Facebook fans can download Mello at no cost for the first three months (MSRP $99 USD). Requires iLok.
More information: UVI / Mello