Related: audio interface
Posted in news
on Jan 23, 2012
Tascam has announced the iU2, a premium sound quality audio interface for the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch.
It includes all of the features of TASCAM’s best-selling USB audio interfaces, including a pair of great-sounding microphone inputs. The XLR inputs have phantom power for use with high-quality condenser microphones. These feed an onboard microphone preamp and A/D converter for better sound performance than those built into iPhone and iPad – true stereo recording with low noise and less tendency to distort. The inputs also accept line-level signals or you can plug a guitar or bass directly into your device.
In addition to compatibility with iOS devices, the iU2 also works with Mac and Windows computers. A zero-latency monitoring path allows musicians to hear themselves directly through the unit, without any distracting delay. MIDI in and out are provided to interface with synths and drum machines, and a digital output connects to digital mixers or recorders.
- Audio/MIDI Interface for Mac, Windows and iOS devices.
- Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
- Two XLR mic inputs with phantom power.
- Two balanced line inputs.
- Instrument-level input for guitar or bass.
- MIDI in and out.
- Onboard A/D conversion for low-noise and distortion when recording with iOS devices.
- Zero-latency direct monitoring.
- S/PDIF Digital Output.
- Includes USB cable, iOS dock connection cable, XLR to ¼” conversion cables.
More information: Tascam / iU2
, effect plugins
, Nomad Factory
Posted in news
on Nov 17, 2011
Nomad Factory has released Magnetic 2, a virtual reel-to-reel audio tape warmer effect for Windows and Mac.
The plug-in features pure analog reel-to-reel tape speeds, tape/tube saturation and tape color effects, as well as a dedicated vintage style EQ and a built in Boost mastering section. The result is a creamy, warm sound that can only be achieved by MAGNETIC II.
New in Magnetic 2
- 9 tape models that give you the authentic sound of the famous vintage tape machines:
- Otari MX-80 2-inch 24-track
- Otari MTR-90 2-inch 24-track
- Ampex MM1200 2-inch 24-track
- Ampex ATR-102 half-inch two-track
- Tascam ATR60-16 1-inch 16-track
- Studer A80 Mk II 2-inch 24-track
- Studer A827 2-inch 24-track
- Studer A820 2-inch 24-track
- MCI JH24 2-inch 24-track
- Real Tape Model Mode: To engage the new Real Tape Model mode, simply turn the Reel Speed knob between 1 and 30 and it will activate the selector buttons on the left.
- Wow & Flutter Knob: Turning the Reel Speed knob between 1 and 30 also activates the Wow & Flutter knob which gives you the irregularities in the playback speed of analog recordings.
- Magnetic Tape Color: When the Reel Speed knob is set to DASH, this engages the original Magnetic Tape-Color sound. Any other Reel Speed Knob setting allows you to select between different Tape Model modes, including Magnetic.
Magnetic 2 is available to purchase for the introductory price of $79 USD. The upgrade from Magnetic v1.x is $20 USD for a limited time.
More information: Nomad Factory / Magnetic 2
TASCAM has introduced the iXZ, a pocket sized mic/instrument input for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch.
This powerful little gadget turns an iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch into an instant recording studio. Plug in a microphone, guitar or bass to interact with the latest guitar amp, sampling, recording and DJ apps.
The iXZ supplies phantom power for condenser microphones and input setting sets the gain. There is also a headphone output to monitor from your iOS device.
iXZ can be used in various applications and will be sure to be an indispensable tool for anyone who enjoys creating music.
- Switchable mic/line input.
- Phantom power.
- Gain control.
- 1/8” headphone output.
- XLR mic input.
- High-impedence guitar input.
- Mic input powered by two AA batteries.
- Non-powered guitar input.
More information: Tascam / iXZ
Cupwise has released Cassette 1, a collection of Tascam 122 mkIII programs for Nebula by Acustica Audio.
The Tascam 122 mkIII deck was used, along with 11 tapes, to create this set. Some tapes were sampled twice, at slightly different speeds and with different noise reduction settings (B, C, and none).
Most of the tapes are/were highly regarded among cassette enthusiasts (they’re still out there!). There are type I, II, and metal type IV tapes. The deck has a rich history and is very well known for it’s reliability and performance.
The Cassette 1 Nebula programs are available to purchase for $10 USD.
More information: Cupwise / Cassette 1
Tascam has released the DR-07mkII, a new handheld recorder with adjustable microphones and high-resolution audio quality that’s simple to use.
The stereo recorder features a pair of adjustable condenser microphones. The built-in mics can be moved from an XY position, for tight imaging, to an AB position, for a wider ambient sound.
The sound of the DR-07mkII reflects over 30 years of TASCAM’s recording experience. A dedicated power supply for the codec enables the full capabilities of the A/D and D/A converter, and separate analog & digital circuit boards and low impedance circuit design reduce noise in the design. The DR-05 records to microSD or microSDHC media, recording in MP3 or WAV (BWF) file format at up to 96kHz/24-bit resolution.
Sharing some features with the new DR-05, the DR-07mkII makes recording simple enough for any musician. The Peak reduction function sets the optimum recording level even in recording to avoid the over level. Quick Menu selects commonly used parameters in playback or record like auto level setting or limiting, while deeper settings are available through a full-featured setup menu. The 1/8” mic/line input can supply power for microphones. A Level Align function prevents uneven volume levels during playback through the 1/8” headphone output or built-in speaker. Variable-Speed Audition – which changes playback speed without affecting pitch – and looping are also available during playback for transcription or learning new music. 17.5 hours of longer battery life at 44.1kHz/16-bit, WAV (BWF) is long enough for any recording situation.
Some DR-07mkII features that aren’t found on the DR-05 include Overdub mode, which records over your previous take but keeps a copy of the original. The portable recorder also includes Auto Record and Auto Mark settings for hands-off operation. A reverb effect is also available to give your recordings a mastered polish.
For recording live music, band rehearsals, classes or simply sharing your music with the world, TASCAM’s DR-07mkII is an unbeatable value.
- Handheld Portable Recorder.
- Adjustable Stereo Condenser Omnidirectional Microphones (XY or AB).
- Up to 96kHz/24-bit WAV (BWF) linear PCM recording.
- Stereo MP3 recording from 32-320 kbps bit rate.
- Reverb effect.
- Overdub recording mode.
- Auto Record and Auto Mark functions.
- Peak Reduction function to set the optimum recording level automatically even in recording.
- Limiter and low-cut filter to help prevent distortion.
- Automatic or manual level setting.
- Self timer recording starts recording 5 or 10 sec. after pressing the record button for waiting until you are ready.
- Auto and manual track increment.
- Variable speed playback (50%-150%) without changing the pitch.
- Loop and repeat playback.
- Level Align feature prevents uneven volume levels during playback.
- Playback EQ setting.
- Editing function (Divide and delete).
- Up to 99 mark points on each file.
- Chromatic tuner.
- 1/8” stereo mic/line input.
- USB 2.0 port for transfer to PC and external power.
- Up to 2-second pre recording buffer.
- Jump back function returns to previous point with one action (1-10, 20, 30 sec.).
- 1/8” headphone/line output.
- Built-in speaker.
- microSD (64MB – 2GB)/microSDHC (4GB – 32GB) card slot (2GB card included).
- Powered by 2 AA batteries, AC adapter (optional: PS-P515U), or USB bus power.
- Tripod socket hole.
- Dimensions: 2.2” W x 5.5” H x 1” D (55mm x 141mm x 26mm).
- Weight: 4.4 oz (125g).
More information: Tascam / DR-07mkII
Tascam has introduced the DR-05, a new easy-to-use handheld portable recorder with high-resolution audio quality.
The stereo recorder features a pair of condenser microphones with sensitivity up to 125dB SPL and low noise, designed to capture every detail and dynamic of a performance. The design of the DR-05 is optimized for sound quality, from the dedicated power supply for the codec to bring out the full spec of the A/D and D/A converter to the separate analog & digital circuit boards and low impedance circuit design with noise resistance in its compact case. The DR-05 records to microSD or microSDHC media, recording in MP3 or WAV (BWF) file format at up to 96kHz/24-bit resolution.
The new DR-05‘s great-sounding recordings are easy to operate. The Peak reduction function sets the optimum recording level even in recording to avoid the over level. Quick Menu selects commonly used parameters in playback or record like auto level setting or limiting, while deeper settings are available through a full-featured setup menu. The 1/8” mic/line input can supply power for microphones. A Level Align function prevents uneven volume levels during playback through the 1/8” headphone output or built-in speaker. Variable-Speed Audition – which changes playback speed without affecting pitch – and looping are also available during playback for transcription or learning new music. 17.5 hours of longer battery life at 44.1kHz/16-bit, WAV (BWF) is long enough for any recording situation.
For recording live music, band rehearsals, classes or simply sharing your music with the world, TASCAM’s DR-05 is an unbeatable value.
The Tascam DR-05 is priced at $99 USD (MAP).
More information: Tascam / DR-05