Voxengo has released version 2.1 of its OldSkoolVerb reverb effect plugin and version 2.5 of MSED, an audio encoder-decoder effect plug-in.
OldSkoolVerb is best suited for non-percussive and soft-attack sounds like vocals, piano and pad sounds.
- OldSkoolVerb is a freeware algorithmic reverberation AU and VST plug-in for professional music production applications. This plug-in implements a kind of “classic” stereo reverb algorithm which is technically simple yet optimal. It also produces a very clear spatial image that blends well with the mix.
- MSED is a professional audio encoder-decoder AU and VST plugin for mid-side processing which is able to encode (split) the incoming stereo signal into two components: mid-side pair, and vice versa: decode mid-side signal pair into stereo signal.
The updated versions include a fix to a rare crash problem. Both plug-ins are available for Windows and Mac (VST/AU) as freeware.
More information: Voxengo
Coolsoft has updated the VirtualMIDISynth software MIDI synthesizer for Windows to version 1.6.0.
VirtualMIDISynth is a software MIDI synthesizer implemented as a Windows multimedia user driver, accessible as a standard MIDI Out device.
It works on Windows XP / Vista / 7 (both x86 and x64), and is based on the great BASS library from un4seen.
Changes in VirtualMIDISynth v1.7.0
- Additional languages (German, Japanese, Russian, French, Spanish, Polish, Indonesian, Swedish).
- Added support for GM/GM2/GS/XG instrument names, now correctly shown on MIDI Mixer.
- Added an activity indicator on each MIDI channel, useful to quickly see which channel is actually playing.
- MIDI Mixer can now be moved by clicking (and dragging) anywhere on it.
- Added support for MIDI running status bit (some players call it “redundant MIDI data”).
- Fixed BASS initialization in case of already initialized BASS library.
- Language files are now UTF-8.
- Better language file memory management.
- Soundfont listbox doesn’t enable Apply button on checkboxes state changes.
VirtualMIDISynth for Windows is available to download as freeware.
More information: VirtualMIDISynth
Kazrog has announced a public beta of its PluginUpdate software solution for keeping plugins up-to-date.
Finally, in 2013, PluginUpdate resolves these problems, by providing an easy-to-use, cross platform app for keeping plugins up to date.
With the launch of the PluginUpdate Store later this year, PluginUpdate will offer an incredibly simple one-stop plugin shopping experience, with single-sign-on, software based integrated license and update management.
The beta is currently available for Mac. A Windows version should follow shortly.
More information: PluginUpdate
A Tasty Pixel has updated its Audiobus inter-app audio routing system for iOS to version 1.0.2.
With Audiobus, the revolutionary new inter-app audio routing system, you can connect your Audiobus-compatible music apps together, just like virtual cables.
With a simple and clean interface, easily connect the output of one Audiobus-compatible app into the input of another. Use Audiobus to play a synthesizer live into a looper or multi-track recorder, or use one app to manipulate the live output of another.
Changes in Audiobus v1.0.2
- New preferences pane allowing users to choose between a 512 and 256 frame hardware buffer size:
- Choose 512 if you’re experiencing stuttering audio.
- Choose 256 if you want the fastest response time for live play.
- Only iPad 3, 4 and iPhone 5 default to 256 now, all other devices to 512.
- Apps are now sorted alphabetically in the input/output/effects pop-over windows.
- New status bar in the Audiobus main screen, showing current hardware buffer size and battery status.
- Some minor bug fixes.
Audiobus is now available from the App Store for $9.99 USD.
More information: Audiobus
Tek’it Audio has updated the 8kut free 8-band frequency cutter effect to version 1.3.
This update comes with a channel selector allowing you to choose on which channel the effect is applied. This lets you sidechain the plugin to apply a different cut on each channel for example. Other changes focus on optimizing performance as well as on improvements on the user interface and the installer.
Changes in 8kut v1.3
- Added Left and Right channels pass through.
- Faster Undo initialization.
- SSE2 instruction sets requirement.
- Reduced plug-in load time.
- Renamed product to TA 8kut.
- Renamed .dll file to TA 8kut.dll.
- Added 2 new presets.
- Added Author website URL to the note pop-up.
- GUI major redesign.
- GUI updated the info screen.
- SETUP Windows 8 compatibility layer.
- SETUP other improvements.
- User Manual updated.
8kut is available to download as a freeware VST plug-in for Windows PC.
More information: Tek’it Audio / 8kut
Expert Sleepers has released version 2.1.0 of Silent Way, the suite of plug-ins designed for use with analogue synthesisers.
The plug-ins produce no sound themselves, nor do they process sound – rather, they generate signals to be used as control voltages (CVs), which can be patched into the control inputs of oscillators, filters, VCAs etc. of an analogue system. Also, with the addition of the CV Input plug-in, it is possible to bring CVs from the synth into the computer, for recording or processing.
Changes in Silent Way v2.1.0
- Added a new plug-in: Silent Way Function. SW Function applies simple mathematical operations to incoming CVs. It is intended to be particularly useful in conjunction with the forthcoming ES-6 and ES-7 modules.
- Added “Calibrated” mode to Silent Way Follower, allowing it to use calibration profiles generated in SW Voice Controller, for accurate pitch tracking from incoming audio to your analogue VCOs.
- Added “Transport2″ sync mode to Silent Way LFO. Like the existing Transport mode, but stops when the host transport stops.
- Added a “Transfer” button to Silent Way Soundplane and Silent Way Follower, allowing one click transfer of a calibration from Voice Controller to another plug-in that uses is, without having to save the calibration to disk and load it back in.
- Added support for the Expert Sleepers ES-5 module to Silent Way Sync.
- Added sustain pedal support to Silent Way Voice Controller.
- Fixed a bug that would cause Silent Way Follower to lock up the host application.
Silent Way is available to purchase for $59 USD. The update is free for existing users. Note: the AAX version of v2.1.0 is done but not yet uploaded, pending some final testing. Please continue to use the v2.0.3 AAX version for now.
More information: Expert Sleepers / Silent Way