Loopmasters has introduced Rewind, a sample pack by Industrial Strength’s Lenny Dee.
Lenny Dee and crew thought it might be really handy to have a wild collection of rewinds, skips, jumps, spins, slow downs all in one handy pack.
There is nothing like a real hand pushed back spin, so we asked a few of our friends to get back spin crazy and help us get a really crazy selection of license free spins for you to use mash up and effect out.
We used the classic 1200MK2 and the Cdj 1000 Mk3 to make all the rewinds, and combined a lot of long and totally messed up spin samples for you to crash up and freak out.
The sample pack is available to purchase for £12.95 GBP.
More information: Loopmasters / Lenny Dee Rewind
, drum machine
, J Dilla
, Kev Brown
, Producers Choice
, samples and sound libraries
Posted in news
on May 14, 2012
The Producers Choice has released the Boom Bap Phonetics, a drum sample pack inspired by the sounds of J Dilla and Kev Brown.
Our sound designers painstakingly mimicked the EXACT drum sounds used by J Dilla, Kev Brown & Mad Lib.
The Boom Bap Phonetics drum kit is the ‘go to’ drum library for Boom Bap drum samples. The kit captures J Dilla’s signature styled drums by using the same filtering techniques, creative EQ & compression, and drum machines as the legendary producer.
Boom Bap Phonetics features
- Over 170 drum samples, crafted using the following equipment: Akai MPC3000, SP-303 Sampler, P-505 Sampler, Technics Turntables w/ Dirty Vinyl Drums.
- MPC READY – pgm files included so you can load into your unit fast and easily.
- Each sound was recorded from vinyl record and split tested through different chains to get the perfect boom bap sound.
The sample pack is available to purchase for $29 USD.
More information: The Producers Choice / Boom Bap Phonetics
Waves has announced the Mashup, a DJ app for the Apple iPad.
Technical GRAMMY award-winning Waves Audio and Musicsoft Arts join forces to bring you Mashup, the first DJ app to bring Waves studio-quality processing to the iPad.
Sure, you could spend thousands of dollars on gear, and lug around records, turntables, and mixers. Or, you could fire up Mashup, a complete mobile DJ booth, with studio-quality EQ and analog-style resonant filters, Vinyl Touch glitch-free scratching, and independent time-stretch and pitch-shift for each of its two stereo decks.
Mashup App features
- Dual stereo decks with studio-quality EQ and FX.
- Independent time-stretch and pitch-shift for each deck.
- Analog-style resonant high pass/low pass filters with exclusive touch ribbon control.
- Free downloadable music from top DJs and producers.
- Vinyl Touch glitch-free scratching.
- iPhone and iPod Touch support in remote headphones mode.
- Fully optimized for the new iPad with Retina screen.
- Waves MaxxVolume and MaxxBass provide loud, steady output and enhanced bass response (Premium Feature).
- Play back any track in your library.
Mashup for iPad is available to purchase for $39.99 USD.
More information: Waves / Mashup
, DJ Shortee
, Hal Leonard
Posted in news
on Mar 30, 2012
Hal Leonard Books has published Spin Now!, a book by DJ Shortee.
This DJ handbook puts you on the fast track to DJing, whether you want to be a digital DJ or vinyl junkie.
In Spin Now! and the accompanying DVD-ROM, Los Angeles DJ, world-class turntablist, producer, and classroom instructor DJ Shortee teaches you everything you need to know so you can start mixing tunes like the pros!
Spin Now! features
- From CDJs, turntables, and DJ mixers to DJ Software, MIDI Controllers, and more, discover the tools of the trade and how to choose which are best for you.
- Learn how to set up different gear and how to operate it correctly.
- Find out where to get music and how to select your tunes in order to create your own unique sound.
- Learn how to identify beats, count music, sync tempos, and match keys.
- Master the basics of cueing, scratching, and droppin’ on the “one”.
- Learn how to create seamless mixes through beat matching, blending, and EQing.
- Discover useful practice techniques, get advice on how to promote yourself, learn how to survive your first gig, and more!
The included DVD-ROM contains specific exercises directly correlating with lessons in the text, including material that lets you play along in real time. Each technique is taught using both CDJs and turntables and can easily be applied to any DJ software and controllers. No matter what equipment you use, Shortee’s lessons are essential to learning how to DJ like a pro! Want to become a Pro DJ? Learn from one!
Spin Now! is available from Hal Leonard for $12.99 USD.
More information: Hal Leonard Books / Spin Now!
Serato has updated its ITCH dj software to version 2.1.
The latest version features enhancements and bug fixes for all Serato ITCH users with 2.1 offering improved stability and increased performance.
2.1 continues Serato’s commitment to providing the best possible software for people who love music.
Changes in ITCH 2.1
- New Features
- SP-6 Hardware control.
- Simple Sync mode added for two deck controllers.
- Smart Sync pitch behavior changes.
- General Bug Fixes
- Fix for crash on relocate lost files.
- Fix for hang when switching banks on the SP6.
- Fixed bug which could cause pitch to jump suddenly after loading a new track over a sync’d track and moving the pitch slider. Only occurs if there is only a single sync’d deck.
- Fixed SP6 pitch sliders not working correctly.
- Fixed ctrl-click on the SP6 pitch slider jumping to the wrong value.
- Fix for Reverse not working when in Relative Pitch after turning off Sync.
- Hot Cueing while in armed sync now switches to Auto-Tempo so that the sync’d pitch is used.
- Fix for SP6 not loading the play mode preference as Sync in some cases (randomly).
- Fix for SP6 pitch resetting when loading the same track to the deck of the same number.
- SP6 Trigger Mode now working for the Denon HC5000.
- Fixed Denon HC5000 displaying the wrong pitch when in relative pitch and not updating.
- Fix for pitch jumping if a doubled-slaved track was nudged into tempo mode.
- Sync should no longer be turned off when a track is loaded on a paused or empty deck.
- Fix for armed auto-tempo not jumping to correct tempo when using cue or temp cue (which can cause a jump if you then push play).
- Empty Crates are no longer deleted.
- Fixed a bug where Crates could get incorrectly deleted.
- Fix for edit box not displaying highlighted text when using ctrl-a to select all.
- Fix for focus incorrectly shifting to the crates list after editing multiple tags.
- Fixed bug where Sync would not turn off when loading a track with no bpm and beat grid.
- Fixed several bugs where playing a track with sync could keep doubling the track’s pitch.
- Fixed for possible incorrect BPM when using doubled/half BPMs in smart sync mode.
More details (including changes for specific hardware) here. The ITCH 2.1 update is now available to download at no cost.
More information: Serato / ITCH
Serato has released version 2.0 of ITCH, the DJ software for Windows and Mac.
Serato ITCH is an integrated software and hardware system, designed to give music selectors and DJs new kinds of control. Serato and ITCH partners have made award winning DJ systems that operate without CD players or turntables.
Using the ITCH software you can DJ music on your computer with accurate control from a range of purpose built ITCH hardware.
Changes in ITCH 2.0
- A fresh new look, with changeable Night & Day modes.
- New SP-6 Sample Player including Sample Sync.
- Multiple display modes to suit different styles of DJing – vertical, horizontal, stack and library views.
- Re-optimised Serato SmartSync engine for precise grids and locked grooves.
- Improved Library Management so you can easily copy crates & tracks to external drives for gigs.
- Smart Crates which auto-fill using keywords from your music library.
- Serato Playlists to share your tracklists either as you play, or online afterwards.
- Album Art Views for enhanced browsing.
- Improved Instant Doubles functionality, including support for 4 decks.
The ITCH 2.0 update is available as a free download.
More information: Serato / ITCH