Related: audio interface
, IK Multimedia
Posted in news
on Sep 06, 2013
IK Multimedia has introduced iRig PRO, an audio/MIDI interface for iOS.
iRig PRO is a high-quality, battery powered universal audio/MIDI interface that lets you connect a microphone, guitar, bass or line-level source — or a MIDI controller — to your iOS device or Mac.
Small enough to fit in your pocket, iRig PRO comes with Lightning, 30-pin and USB cables, allowing connectivity with any iOS device or Mac. You also get a selection of IK music apps and software so you can rock right out of the box.
iRig Pro features
- Balanced input for a mic-, line-level, or Hi-Z source, via XLR/1/4″ combo jack connector.
- Preamp gain control.
- High-quality mic and instrument preamp, low noise, high definition.
- High-quality A/D conversion.
- MIDI IN, compatible with iRig MIDI cables.
- +48V phantom power provided by included 9V battery.
- Sturdy, durable construction.
- Powered by mobile device or USB when plugged into Mac.
- 30-pin, Lightning, USB, and MIDI cables included.
- Comes with complete suite of music-making software and apps:.
- For Mac: AmpliTube Metal, T-RackS CS Classic mastering suite, SampleTank XT sound workstation.
- For iOS: AmpliTube FREE for iOS (including Metal W amp, Metal 150 amp, Wharmonator stomp, X-Flanger stomp after registration); SampleTank FREE, a sonic workstation with 48 additional exclusive sounds (after registration); iGrand Piano FREE (includes Grand Piano 1 with Upright Piano 1 and Rock Grand 1 available after registering the app and hardware, respectively). And with the FREE iGrand Piano app, registering your iRig PRO instantly removes the 4-octave range limitation giving you access to all 88-notes of the instrument as in the full version.
iRig PRO will ship in September, priced at $149.99 USD / 119.99 EUR (exc. taxes).
More information: IK Multimedia / iRig PRO
Korg has announced the Beat Boy, a new unit featuring a drum machine, recorder, and tuner.
Beat Boy is packed with features that allow guitarists or bassists to improve their abilities easily and reliably while having fun playing their instrument.
The functionality of four products is packed into this single unit; in addition to a tuner, there’s a rhythm machine covering 100 diverse styles, an effect section for adding sonic variation to your guitar tone, and a recorder that allows 16-bit/44.1 kHz recording of your performances.
So compact, it fits easily into the pocket of your gig bag, it’s the ideal partner for any guitarist or bassist.
Beat Boy features
- Perform backed by 100 full-fledged rhythm patterns.
- Use the tap tempo feature to adjust the tempo intuitively, or use the tempo adjustment buttons to make fine adjustments.
- Adjust the volume of the drum machine to fine tune the mix balance with your guitar sound.
- Tuner function ensures that your pitch is accurate.
- Overdrive/distortion effect for electric guitar.
- Recorder allows 16-bit/44.1 kHz PCM recording and playback.
- Approximately 20 minutes of recording, with a maximum of 100 tracks.
- USB port allows your recorded phrases to be easily backed-up to your computer.
- Internal mic supports acoustic instruments.
- Built-in speaker lets you immediately listen back to recorded sounds.
Beat Boy is scheduled for release in Fall 2013, priced at $89.99 USD.
More information: Korg / Beat Boy
Roland has announced the HandSonic HPD-20, a dynamic digital hand percussion instrument that excels for both live performance and creating music in the studio.
It features the renowned SuperNATURAL sound engine and a highly sensitive multi-pad interface for maximum expression, plus a huge selection of ready-to-play sounds, WAV import via USB, deep editing capability, onboard effects, and much more. Versatile, intuitive, and inspiring to play, the compact HPD-20 is ideal for a wide range of music creators, from percussionists and drummers to electronic dance music performers, composers, and producers.
Representing the latest generation of Roland’s acclaimed HandSonic series, the HPD-20 is a sophisticated hand percussion instrument with an amazing level of expressive power. Equipped with the latest sensing technology, its 13 pads provide ultra-sensitive velocity response for playing sounds, and are arranged in a circular configuration for maximum ergonomic efficiency. They also respond to touch and pressure for dampening or muting another pad’s tone, adjusting its pitch, and more.
HandSonic HPD-20 features
- Powerful hand percussion instrument for live performance and studio music production.
- 850 ready-to-play sounds include percussion from around the world, melodic instruments, drums, tones for modern electronica beats, and more.
- Roland’s acclaimed SuperNATURAL sound engine delivers unparalleled tone quality and expressiveness.
- Import up to 500 of your own WAV sounds via USB flash memory and assign them to pads.
- Deep editing capability allows you to tweak and layer instruments and process tones with three independent multi-effects engines, ambience, and EQ.
- 13 silicone rubber pads provide ultra-sensitive velocity response and a comfortable feel.
- Dynamic pad assignments let you dampen, mute, and tune sounds for authentic performance of acoustic hand percussion like congas and tabla.
- Roll button and Realtime Modify knob; D-BEAM for controlling sounds and effects with hand movements.
- Easily capture performances and ideas with the Quick Rec function and export them as WAV audio files to USB flash memory.
- Inputs for connecting a Roland pad and hi-hat controller (sold separately).
- USB Computer port for audio/MIDI communication with popular music software, including DAWs and standalone virtual instruments.
More information: Roland / HandSonic HPD-20
MOTU has announced that its new 8Pre USB 16 x 12 USB audio interface with 8 mic inputs is now shipping.
Turn your computer into a powerful digital audio workstation with eight mic inputs. Or add eight high-quality mic/instrument inputs to your current system.
The 8pre audio interface delivers everything you need to turn your computer into a powerful 24-bit, 96kHz digital audio workstation. The 8pre provides eight microphone/instrument preamps with pristine 96kHz analog recording and playback, combined with 8 channels of ADAT optical digital I/O. Expand your system by connecting additional 8pres or other MOTU audio interfaces.
8Pre USB features
- Hi-speed USB 2.0 audio interface for Mac and Windows — provides 16 inputs with 8 mic preamps and 12 outputs including separate phone and main outs for all the basic I/O you need for a powerful desktop studio.
- Eight XLR/TRS “combo jack” mic inputs — connect up to eight mics, or mix and match mics with guitars, synths, drum machines and other analog input signals.
- Flexible analog inputs — each provides a crystal-clear preamp (for both the XLR and TRS input), 24-bit 96 kHz converters, individually switchable 48-volt phantom power, 20 dB pad and front-panel trim controls. Mix and match condenser and dynamic microphones as your needs require.
- Eight channels of ADAT optical I/O — provides two sets of optical connectors to provide eight channels of optical digital I/O even at high samples rates (88.2 or 96 kHz).
- Operates as an optical expander — connect the 8pre to any ADAT optical compatible device (another audio interface, a digital mixer, etc.) to add 8 additional mic inputs seamlessly integrated into the mixing environment of the host device.
- Discrete ins/outs — there’s no channel sharing in the 8pre; the mic inputs, ADAT optical I/O, headphone out and main outs are all handled as separate channels.
- CueMix DSP™ near-zero monitoring system.
- Multiple CueMix DSP mixes — create up to eight different monitor mixes for the main outs and headphones. Add send/return loops for outboard gear with no latency.
- Front-panel metering — five-segment meters for all analog inputs, plus status lights for clock and interface/expander mode.
- Sample-accurate MIDI — connect a MIDI controller and/or sound module with no separate interface needed. MIDI I/O is sample-accurate with supporting software.
- Expandable — add additional MOTU 8pre, UltraLite, 828, 828, 896, or Traveler interfaces for additional I/O. Or connect the 8pre optically to any audio interface or mixer that supports ADAT optical I/O.
- Separate TRS main outs and front-panel headphone jack, each with independent volume control.
- SMPTE time code sync via any analog input.
- SMPTE time code generation to any analog output.
- Includes native 32- and 64-bit drivers for Mac OS X (10.6 or higher) and Windows (8/7/Vista), including ASIO, WDM, Wave, Core Audio, and Core MIDI. Supports all popular Mac and Windows audio software.
- 100% compatible with all host-based effects processing in today’s popular audio programs.
- Includes AudioDesk full-featured sample-accurate workstation software for Mac with recording, editing, mixing, real-time 32-bit effects processing & sample-accurate sync.
- Plug-and-play operation with your Mac or PC via USB.
- Chassis dimensions, excluding rack ears and front and back panel knobs and connectors: 19 × 7 × 1.75 inches (48.26 × 17.78 × 4.45 cm). Knobs and connectors extend up to 0.5 inch (1.27 cm) from front and back panels, adding 1 inch (2.54 cm) to depth. With rack ears attached, fits standard 19 inch (48.26 cm) rack at 1U high.
The 8Pre USB is now available to purchase for $549 USD.
More information: MOTU / 8Pre USB
Novation has announced the Launchkey Mini, a compact new mini-key instrument/controller.
Launchkey Mini features 16 velocity sensitive, three colour launch pads – use them to trigger sounds, effects, transport controls, and more. In addition Launchkey Mini features a 25-note keyboard, eight assignable rotary controls plus seven function buttons and a further two performance buttons. Compact and portable, Launchkey Mini is great for producing and performing at home or on stage.
Launchkey Mini works immediately with the new free-to-download Novation Launchpad and Launchkey iPad apps, and gives you hands-on control of major Mac and Windows based music software including Ableton Live, FL Studio, Pro Tools, Cubase, Reason, and Logic.
Launchkey Mini features
- Go anywhere, play anywhere — Launchkey Mini is fully powered by iPad or USB – no need for power sockets or batteries – and it’s ultra-lightweight and easy to carry.
- 25-note mini-keyboard — Fast action synth-style mini keys ideal for modern playing techniques.
- 16 velocity sensitive, three colour launch pads — Launch loops, samples, effects and more and get direct visual feedback.
- Knobs and buttons for total control — Eight knobs, seven function buttons, and two performance buttons to enhance and control your sounds in real time.
- Free software for iPad, PC, and Mac — Launchkey Mini is a fully-integrated instrument with the Novation apps for iPad, and provides hands on control of the included synths and music software for your Mac or PC.
The Launchkey Mini will be available to purchase in September 2013, priced MSRP $124.99 USD / $99.99 USD street.
More information: Novation / Launchkey Mini