Steinberg has announced the release of version 2.0 firmware updates for its UR28M and UR824 USB audio interfaces.
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH today enhances their UR28M and UR824 USB audio interfaces with a comprehensive firmware update, adding class-compliant mode and loopback capability, four DSP-based guitar amp simulations for latency-free monitoring, a VST 3 effects bundle and a free copy of Cubase AI 7 for all registered UR28M and UR824 customers.
“This is possibly the widest ranging firmware update for any Steinberg hardware,” remarked Stefan Schreiber, product marketing manager at Steinberg. “Offering class compliance is definitely a first for us, and is the perfect complement for our Cubasis iOS app.”
URM28M/UR824 firmware v2 features
- New Guitar Amp Classics effect bundle running on DSP, allowing latency-free monitoring with guitar amp effect.
- Basic FX Suite VST 3 plug-in bundle, consisting of three software components: Sweet Spot Morphing Channel Strip, REV-X and Guitar Amp Classics.
- CC mode for connectivity with the iPad (2 or later) through Apple’s iPad Camera Connection Kit.
- Loopback function for internet live streaming: incoming audio signals are merged to playback signal from audio playback software.
- Free version of latest version of Cubase AI 7 for all registered UR users, providing a set of new features.
The firmware and tools update are available as downloads in the support area on the Steinberg website. Cubase AI 7 is available for users logging into their MySteinberg account.
More information: Steinberg / UR28M/UR824
Audiofront has announced MIDI Expression, a USB pedal interface.
MIDI Expression is a very compact class compliant USB MIDI device that allows different types of pedals to interface with your computer. Pedal sensing technolgy built into the device detects the type of pedal plugged in and automatically adjusts its settings to support that device.
MIDI Expression has four built-in configurations or presets–one for expression pedals, one for sustain pedals, one for hihat controllers, and one for footswitches. When you plug-in a pedal, the MIDI Expression detects its type and automatically loads the corresponding configuration. A software configuration application can be used to change a number of settings for each of the configurations including, Chan, CC, and response curve and more. All settings are stored in the device itself for portability.
MIDI Expression features
- Pedal Sensing Technology detects the type of pedal plugged in and reconfigures the device to ensure optimal performance and compatibility.
- Graphical preset editor.
- Editable expression curves.
- Compact portable design.
- Class Compliant (no driver required).
MIDI Expression is available to purchase for $49 USD.
More information: AudioFront / MIDI Expression
Waldorf has announced the availability of its Pulse 2, a new monophonic analog synthesizer.
Pulse 2 Analog Synthesizer is proof positive that good things can come to those that wait.
For ever since this high-quality synthesizer developer discontinued its original rack-mountable Pulse and Pulse+ programmable analogue monosynths boasting ballsy bass tones and legendary leads beyond compare, those Nineties electronic music dominating sounds have been severely sought after by those in the know.
Which was exactly what drove us into development overdrive to produce an all-new Pulse fit for the 21st Century.
Pulse 2 features
- 3 analog oscillators + 1 noise generator.
- Pulse width modulation.
- Hard sync.
- Filter FM from Oscillator 3.
- Ring Modulation from Oscillator 3.
- XOR Osc Mode.
- 8/4 Voice Paraphonic modes.
- Cascade Filter.
- 24dB/12db Lowpass, 12db Highpass/Bandpass filter modes.
- Powerful Arpeggiator.
- 8-slot Modulation Matrix.
- External analog signal input.
- Stereo line out.
- Headphone out.
- Backwards compatible with classic Pulse.
- 128×64 character backlit LCD.
- 8 stainless steel knobs.
- 500 Sound Programs.
- Electron-absorbing black case.
Pulse 2 is available to purchase for SRP 461 EUR/$610 USD (excluding tax).
More information: Waldorf / Pulse 2
Best Service has announced Foley Stage – Complete, a sound library for film-, game- and music production.
Foley Stage is the first Sound Library to be recorded on the Asian continent. Ambience recordings from Asian cities and villages, Ambiences from real life situations, Asian ceremonies, weapon- und battle sounds, firework sounds, electronically sounds from synthesizers, sci-fi and monster sounds and the absolutely essential and globally usable basics from a sound archive.
With its 5.000 files, 40.000 different takes and a total of 129 GB sample material, Foley Stage gives you not only everything you need for your game-, film- or documentary production but also offers an extensive journey through the acoustic world of Asia.
Foley Stage features
- 129 GB content organized in 14 groups: Ambience, Electronic Products, Fireworks, Foley Actions, Foley Cold Weapon, Footsteps, Creatures, Life Properties, Materials, Synthesizer, Tools, Toys, India, Waters.
- 24-bit/96 kHz, files are logically labeled.
- Includes files with different takes and variations, as well as very long files perfectly suitable for atmospheres or soundscapes.
- All Foley Stage files contain metadata for a perfect integration into Soundminer.
- The boxed version includes a 2,5″ USB drive for Mac & PC.
Foley Stage Complete is available to purchase as a boxed version (on hard drive) or as download, priced at MSRP 895 EUR / £749 GBP / $995 USD.
More information: Best Service / Foley Stage Complete
Machinewerks has launched a Kickstarter project for the CS X51, a USB/MIDI control surface for electronic musicians & DJs.
The Machinewerks CS X51 was born out of the sheer frustration of not being able to find the Control Surface we wanted.
Everything was either too big, too heavy or didn’t have the controls we needed, often they would have a lot of things that nobody wanted. It seemed to us that the market place is flooded with control surfaces that set out to be everything to everyone and have ended up being no use to anyone!
The design of many existing Controllers also leaves us cold. Cheap lumps of plastic designed to keep the costs down, with no look or feel to them at all.
Time For A Change
We decided from the start to design something beautiful, something pure, something people would want to use and own.
With 30 years experience of playing live and in the studio we know what’s needed for a working artist/DJ; This is why we’ve designed the Machinewerks CS X51.
The CS X51 USB/MIDI control surface is 100% programmable & compatible.
CS X51 features
- 28 x Potentiometer Rotaries: All fully assignable.
- 7 x 45mm Potentiometer Sliders: All fully assignable.
- 16 assignable buttons in a 4×4 matrix, each with a cool blue assignable LED (LEDs can respond to clip status messages).
- USB and 5 pin DIN MIDI In & Out for full bi-directional MIDI support.
- 9v DC power connector for computerless setups.
- Plug & Play: USB Powered*, no drivers required.
- 100% programmable midi mapping to any hardware or computer.
- MacOS, Windows & Linux Compatible.
- Works out of the box with Ableton, Traktor, Reason, Cubase, Logic and any other programmable DAW.
- Aluminium Body.
- Anodised Body with Powder Coated Base.
- Portable: 390mm x 184mm x 57mm Weighs 1.4kg.
- RoHS compliant.
- Designed & Built In Sheffield, UK.
The Kickstarter project aims to have £27,000 GBP pledged by Saturday Oct 5th, 2013.
More information: Machinewerks / CS X51
Related: audio interface
, IK Multimedia
Posted in news
on Sep 06, 2013
IK Multimedia has introduced iRig PRO, an audio/MIDI interface for iOS.
iRig PRO is a high-quality, battery powered universal audio/MIDI interface that lets you connect a microphone, guitar, bass or line-level source — or a MIDI controller — to your iOS device or Mac.
Small enough to fit in your pocket, iRig PRO comes with Lightning, 30-pin and USB cables, allowing connectivity with any iOS device or Mac. You also get a selection of IK music apps and software so you can rock right out of the box.
iRig Pro features
- Balanced input for a mic-, line-level, or Hi-Z source, via XLR/1/4″ combo jack connector.
- Preamp gain control.
- High-quality mic and instrument preamp, low noise, high definition.
- High-quality A/D conversion.
- MIDI IN, compatible with iRig MIDI cables.
- +48V phantom power provided by included 9V battery.
- Sturdy, durable construction.
- Powered by mobile device or USB when plugged into Mac.
- 30-pin, Lightning, USB, and MIDI cables included.
- Comes with complete suite of music-making software and apps:.
- For Mac: AmpliTube Metal, T-RackS CS Classic mastering suite, SampleTank XT sound workstation.
- For iOS: AmpliTube FREE for iOS (including Metal W amp, Metal 150 amp, Wharmonator stomp, X-Flanger stomp after registration); SampleTank FREE, a sonic workstation with 48 additional exclusive sounds (after registration); iGrand Piano FREE (includes Grand Piano 1 with Upright Piano 1 and Rock Grand 1 available after registering the app and hardware, respectively). And with the FREE iGrand Piano app, registering your iRig PRO instantly removes the 4-octave range limitation giving you access to all 88-notes of the instrument as in the full version.
iRig PRO will ship in September, priced at $149.99 USD / 119.99 EUR (exc. taxes).
More information: IK Multimedia / iRig PRO
Korg has announced the Beat Boy, a new unit featuring a drum machine, recorder, and tuner.
Beat Boy is packed with features that allow guitarists or bassists to improve their abilities easily and reliably while having fun playing their instrument.
The functionality of four products is packed into this single unit; in addition to a tuner, there’s a rhythm machine covering 100 diverse styles, an effect section for adding sonic variation to your guitar tone, and a recorder that allows 16-bit/44.1 kHz recording of your performances.
So compact, it fits easily into the pocket of your gig bag, it’s the ideal partner for any guitarist or bassist.
Beat Boy features
- Perform backed by 100 full-fledged rhythm patterns.
- Use the tap tempo feature to adjust the tempo intuitively, or use the tempo adjustment buttons to make fine adjustments.
- Adjust the volume of the drum machine to fine tune the mix balance with your guitar sound.
- Tuner function ensures that your pitch is accurate.
- Overdrive/distortion effect for electric guitar.
- Recorder allows 16-bit/44.1 kHz PCM recording and playback.
- Approximately 20 minutes of recording, with a maximum of 100 tracks.
- USB port allows your recorded phrases to be easily backed-up to your computer.
- Internal mic supports acoustic instruments.
- Built-in speaker lets you immediately listen back to recorded sounds.
Beat Boy is scheduled for release in Fall 2013, priced at $89.99 USD.
More information: Korg / Beat Boy
Roland has announced the HandSonic HPD-20, a dynamic digital hand percussion instrument that excels for both live performance and creating music in the studio.
It features the renowned SuperNATURAL sound engine and a highly sensitive multi-pad interface for maximum expression, plus a huge selection of ready-to-play sounds, WAV import via USB, deep editing capability, onboard effects, and much more. Versatile, intuitive, and inspiring to play, the compact HPD-20 is ideal for a wide range of music creators, from percussionists and drummers to electronic dance music performers, composers, and producers.
Representing the latest generation of Roland’s acclaimed HandSonic series, the HPD-20 is a sophisticated hand percussion instrument with an amazing level of expressive power. Equipped with the latest sensing technology, its 13 pads provide ultra-sensitive velocity response for playing sounds, and are arranged in a circular configuration for maximum ergonomic efficiency. They also respond to touch and pressure for dampening or muting another pad’s tone, adjusting its pitch, and more.
HandSonic HPD-20 features
- Powerful hand percussion instrument for live performance and studio music production.
- 850 ready-to-play sounds include percussion from around the world, melodic instruments, drums, tones for modern electronica beats, and more.
- Roland’s acclaimed SuperNATURAL sound engine delivers unparalleled tone quality and expressiveness.
- Import up to 500 of your own WAV sounds via USB flash memory and assign them to pads.
- Deep editing capability allows you to tweak and layer instruments and process tones with three independent multi-effects engines, ambience, and EQ.
- 13 silicone rubber pads provide ultra-sensitive velocity response and a comfortable feel.
- Dynamic pad assignments let you dampen, mute, and tune sounds for authentic performance of acoustic hand percussion like congas and tabla.
- Roll button and Realtime Modify knob; D-BEAM for controlling sounds and effects with hand movements.
- Easily capture performances and ideas with the Quick Rec function and export them as WAV audio files to USB flash memory.
- Inputs for connecting a Roland pad and hi-hat controller (sold separately).
- USB Computer port for audio/MIDI communication with popular music software, including DAWs and standalone virtual instruments.
More information: Roland / HandSonic HPD-20