PreSonus has announced QMix, offering Monitor Mix Control via iPhone/iPod touch.
Up to 10 musicians can simultaneously control their StudioLive monitor mixes using an iPhone or iPod touch and PreSonus’ free QMix app. QMix builds on PreSonus’ original Virtual StudioLive (VSL), which provides bidirectional computer control of PreSonus StudioLive -series mixers via FireWire. Next came StudioLive Remote for iPad, which provides wireless control of StudioLive mixers.
QMix works a lot like SL Remote: One or more iPhones network wirelessly with a Mac or PC, enabling QMix to remote-control Virtual StudioLive, which in turn controls one or more FireWire-connected StudioLive mixers. When each iPhone connects to the new network, its copy of QMix will discover all StudioLive mixers on the network. In this way, each musician can quickly and easily create an aux mix that includes all mixer channels.
Of course, you don’t want band mates messing with each other’s monitors — and the engineer doesn’t want to referee a band fight. So QMix lets the engineer set permissions so that each iPhone on the network only controls a specified mix. It’s our way of encouraging peace on-stage and goodwill to band mates.
Portrait view presents the Wheel of Me, which lets you select multiple “Me” channels and turn them all up in your monitor at the same time, while controlling the relative balance between you and the rest of the band. Landscape view provides control of the aux-mix send level and pan position (for linked auxes) for each channel and aux. This is where you set up your monitor mix.
- Provides wireless control over aux mixes in Virtual StudioLive and hence, over aux mixes in any StudioLive-series digital mixer.
- Portrait view shows Wheel of Me, where you can select multiple “Me” channels and control their levels simultaneously.
- Landscape view provides control of all aux-send levels and panning (for linked auxes).
- Aux mixes can be named (up to 10 characters).
- Tap tempo for delay effects.
- Control the auxes on any StudioLive mixer on the wireless network from one iPhone or iPod touch.
- Multiple iPhones and iPod touches can control the same StudioLive.
- Set permissions in VSL so each iPhone and iPod touch can control only one specific aux mix.
QMix will be a free download from the Apple App Store and is expected to be available in January 2012.
More information: PreSonus / QMix
Vienna Symphonic Library has released Vienna Instruments PRO 2, a major update of the software sample player for Windows and Mac.
New features include the powerful APP sequencer, auto humanization, enveloped time stretching, automatic cell naming, enabling/disabling of cells and an option to adjust the sample preload buffer size.
Changes in Vienna Instruments PRO 2
- APP Sequencer – The internal Auto-Playback and Pattern Sequencer offers a vast variety of orchestral patterns and voicings. Trigger rhythmic patterns, runs and accompanying arrangements of the whole orchestra at the touch of a single key!
- New Presets and Matrices – Take advantage of the APP Sequencer and load hundreds of preconfigured chords, phrases and patterns.
- Enabling/Disabling of Cells – Load huge presets with hundreds of articulations in no time, and without taxing your RAM. Specific articulations get loaded only when you “enable” their cells with a simple double-click. Disable cells to clear samples from RAM, while keeping all patch settings intact.
- Auto Cell Naming – Easily identify all loaded articulations by their cell names.
- Auto Humanization – Assign appropriate performance accuracy settings to all of your loaded articulations at once.
- Enveloped Time Stretching – Easily determine which part of an articulation should be manipulated and adjust the speed of a portamento or the attack of a staccato.
- SSD ready – Load 10 times more samples into your RAM, 10 times faster, by reducing the sample preload buffer size when using Solid State Drives.
- Scale Editor – Change the pitch of specific notes of your scales to customize your microtunings.
- Extended Instrument Ranges – Extend the range of each articulation up to two whole tones (both in the high and low register) by simply grabbing the handles on the virtual keyboard.
Vienna Instruments PRO 2 is available to purchase for the introductory price of EUR 125 through December 15, 2011 (regular 145 EUR). Registered users of Vienna Instruments PRO may download the new version from the Vienna Symphonic Library website, free of charge.
More information: Vienna Symphonic Library / Vienna Instruments PRO 2
Try-Sound has announced the availability of four new virtual instruments at its online testing platform.
Try-Sound is presenting the possibility to test virtual instruments over the internet from the comfort of your living room or studio, no matter if using Windows or Apple Mac OS. The use of Try-Sound is FREE!
There are more than 50 virtual instruments now in the Try-Sound portfolio. The following two brand-new „Best Service ENGINE“ libraries, and, for the first time, two titles from „Vienna Symphonic Library“ have been just added.
New at Try-Sound
- VSL Special Edition Bundle – This Special Edition brings together the complete orchestra – and more – in an affordable Collection. It is the ideal, resource-saving companion for
orchestral arrangements on the laptop, or for newcomers to the world of Vienna Instruments, offering a useful cross-section of Vienna Symphonic Library´s over one million samples.
- Vienna Imperial – The new VIENNA IMPERIAL virtual grand piano is a class of its own. The venerable Bösendorfer Imperial 290-755 that the Vienna team hosted at the
Silent Stage for two months was equipped with the famed piano manufacturer’s CEUS technology, which allowed for the most precise and by far most extensive piano sample recordings ever conducted in the history of music technology. 1,200 recorded samples per key represent a magnitude of sampling detail that has been unthinkable up to now.
- World Percussion – The next generation: World Percussion virtual instrument! After four years of development Evolution Series, an Australian sample library developer, has created the next generation World Percussion virtual instrument offering unprecedented sound quality and endless creativity. Evolution Series World Percussion is designed to satisfy the most discerning film, TV, game
composers and producers. It is a powerful and easy-to-use sample library using state-of-the-art equipment, a worldclass scoring stage, and a treasure trove of beautiful instruments.
- Forest Kingdom – Developed by Eduardo Tarilonte – the renowned producer of “Epic World” and many other highly regarded libraries – Forest Kingdom is a unique sample library inspired by Nature. It is the sound of forests and jungles, the sound of Mother Nature herself in one sample library!
Try-Sound is a totally free service by Best Service.de and SoundsOnDemand.com.
More information: Try-Sound
Vienna Symphonic Library has introduced an update to Vienna Suite, a bundle of effect plugins.
The Vienna Symphonic Library team is introducing an all-new audio processing plug-in for their software bundle Vienna Suite.
Hybrid Reverb combines convolution impulses with algorithmic reverb tails, providing extremely flexible editing options in an easy to use and intuitive plug-in. With the addition of Hybrid Reverb, Vienna Suite now includes 10 highend audio processing tools for mixing and mastering with full 64-bit processing, supporting the formats AU, VST, VST3, and RTAS.
Hybrid Reverb features
- Combines natural convolution impulses (early reflections of up to 1 sec.) with rich algorithmic reverb tails.
- The best of both worlds for a homogeneous and dense sound, meeting today’s most professional mixing standards.
- Easy to use graphical interface.
- Browse View with intuitive parameter access and Hybrid Overview Display.
- Edit View with separate convolution and algorithmic sections providing extremely flexible editing options.
- Real-time envelope and graphical equalizer display.
- Great variety of presets in the categories of room, chamber, church, hall, plate, scoring.
- Full 64-bit audio processing.
- Supports AU/VST/VST3/RTAS.
Vienna Suite is now available to purchase for the introductory price of 445 EUR/ $695 USD until July 1, 2011, after which date Vienna Suite will go up to 475 EUR / $745 USD. Existing Vienna Suite users may download the new software update that includes Hybrid Reverb at any time, free of charge.
More information: Vienna Symphonic Library
Vienna Symphonic Library has announced Vienna Dimension Brass, a new sample library featuring brass instruments.
Vienna Dimension Brass gives an entirely new meaning to the term multi-samples. These instruments were recorded in a very unique way at Vienna’s famed Silent Stage. While every note was played by a well-rehearsed ensemble of four brass players, each instrument was recorded separately, which allows you to access each voice individually. Still, they sound like an ensemble and not like four soloists, whether playing in unison, divisi, or even in four-part harmony.
Vienna Dimension Brass comes with the free Vienna Instruments player. To make the most of these unique multi-dimensional samples, we recommend using Vienna Instruments PRO (a fully functional demo version is included in the box). Its auto-divisi mode automatically splits voices between players, and the tailor-made Humanize Presets let you easily control the performance accuracy of your virtual musicians in real-time, at the single touch of a fader – from subtle tuning and timing variations to heavy cluster effects.
Vienna Dimension Brass is available at the introductory price $625 USD until February 15, 2011. The library will start shipping on January 17, 2011.
More information: Vienna Symphonic Library / Vienna Dimension Brass
Vienna Symphonic Library has announced Vienna Holiday Offers, a limited time promotion on some of its products.
Vienna Holiday Offers
- 1 Free Extended Library – Buy 1 Vienna Instruments DVD Collection (Standard Library) and get 1 FREE Extended Library of your choice.
- 23% Off on Customized Bundles – Create your own personalized bundle and save 23% on Standard and Extended Libraries! Just like our existing money-saving bundles (e.g., Strings Complete, Woodwinds Bundle, Brass Bundle, etc.), you can assemble your own bundle, and save a bunch, but only through January 16, 2011.
More information: Vienna Symphonic Library