xoxos has released Horizon, a virtual instrument plug-in for Windows PC.
Horizon combines lush stereo unison voicing with a phrase sequencer that stays in key when the sequence is transposed.
This simple format makes Horizon ideal for lead sounds in dance and other styles. The oscillators are also suitable for producing panoramic pads, before any stereo effects are applied to the signal.
- 2 x 32 voice oscillators with five stereo algorithms.
- 10 oscillator waveforms including 4 modulating contours (sine, saw, ramp, peak, triangle, square, curve, pulse-saw, sine-saw, res).
- noise oscillator.
- per voice prefilter distortion with 6 modes.
- 2 stereo 6 pole filters run in serial or parallel.
- 3 tempo syncable LFOs (sine, triangle, ramp, saw, square, dip, hump, 4 curve modes, step rnd, smooth rnd).
- 3 envelopes.
- 9 modular destinations.
- 8 step phrase sequencer which transposes to user input scale.
Horizon is available for purchase for $25 USD. A demo version (limited to two voice polyphony) is available for download here.
Visit xoxos for more information.
xoxos has released cc cube and Bloqseq, two freeware VST instruments for Windows PC.
cc cube is designed for creating song structure modulation of parameters on several VST simultaneously.
Screenshot of cc cube by xoxos
cc cube features
- Eight sets of cc modulation values may be selected by clicking on the numbers to the left. Values will be sent at the next clock event. A fast clock rate is recommended for applications not requiring tempo sync.
- The lower right panel controls the host synced clock. The wrench icon holds the current value while modulating clock rate settings during performance. 1/n inverts the beat division value for rates slower than one beat.
- Swing and offset knobs have a small region in the center position defined to assist in resetting these parameters to zero.
- The top right panel creates algorithmic progressions by specifying the probability for each band to follow the current one. The rate of modulation is determined by applying the count value to the clock rate (eg. actuating every count # of clock pulses).
- The counter can be reset either with or without resetting the random sequence simultaneously. Buttons ‘remember’ clicks at the next clock event and do not need to be held to modulate.
- When no probabilities are indicated, band 1 will be selected.
Download cc cube here.
Bloqseq uses a second tier of sequencing to alternate between short sequences of up to eight steps. In and of itself it’s only capable of creating simple patterns and is proposed as a conceptual platform.
It may prove to have some utility as a performance sequencer. To make Bloqseq more useful, each sequencing coefficient has it’s own length and reset function to create polyrhythmic modulation.
Download Bloqseq here.
xoxos has released Syng2, a voice synthesizer which uses four bandpass filters to produce formants in any spectrally rich signal, or using an internal oscillator.
The phoneme can be selected on a second MIDI channel, or preset words can be triggered.
Syng2 was designed as an intelligible, low-cpu voice engine for Breathcube 2. The articulation is intended to be more natural than other ‘robot voices’ using this method, with plosives slightly emphasised to be heard with music.
Syng2 is available as a VST plug-in for Windows PC and costs $25 USD. A demo version (4 notes per octave) can be downloaded here.
Visit xoxos.net for more information and audio demos.
xoxos has released Phase Seq, a free VSTi plug-in for Windows PC that easily generates unquantised looping MIDI sequences that are more difficult to achieve in some hosts.
this sequencer triggers 8 manually set midi notes in a loop forwards or backwards. it’s aimed towards making loops that aren’t synced, maybe a simple repeating loop with a few variations, or frippery.
You can listen to a demo mp3 of Phase Seq here (One on the bass, one on the random note thing, and one for all of the loosely synced percussion. Tightly synced parts are added later for contrast, which are sequenced by circuit).
Phase Seq is available as a freeware VST instrument for Windows PC and can be downloaded here.
Visit xoxos for more information.
xoxos has released Period Seq, a MIDI VST instrument for Windows PC.
Period Seq can generate nonrepeating or complex, structured feeling sequences automatically, or with gui elements geared towards live tweaking.
Period Seq features
- Sequencer uses four counters with the following parameters:
- Offset: delays output by the specified number of counts.
- Period: the number of counts incremented between generated sequence events.
- Count: the number of generated sequence events output after counter is reset.
- Sequences can be made more interesting with the following methods:
- Each counter can be driven by either of two separate clock sources.
- Each counter can be reset at one of four different reset rates.
- Counters can also be reset by higher-numbered counters.
- Counter parameters can be modulated by host-synced LFOs.
- LFOs are also assigned to reset rates and have seven different options for s&h.
Period Seq is included with all xoxos licenses, and can currently be download for free from the xoxos website (it says for 24 hours, so hurry up and get it).
Visit xoxos for more information and some audio demos.
xoxos has released Friction, a virtual instrument that combines a friction algorithm with a 2nd order mass-spring to model surface responsivity, and two filtered waveguides to describe primary resonances.
xoxos describes the sounds of Friction as squealing tires, squeaky hinges and axles, ww2 bombs, swingsets, etc. (mp3 demo)
- Friction – Controls for force, velocity, grip and impedance.
- Mass-springs – two mass-springs running in series, or a 2nd order mass-spring.
- Boundaries – boundary conditions are applied to limit and reflect the first order. Separate upper and lower thresholds limit the signal like a compressor.
- Resonances – two delays are applied where the mass-spring and friction algorithms meet. These are intended for the emulation of resonant channels, such as a bar on an iron gate, the length of a swinging cable, or the volume of a chamber.
- Output – signals generated by the synthesis engine are passed through a 1- to 4-pole highpass filter positioned before the amplification envelope.
- Sends and modulation heirarchy – Sends are used to assign controllers and to route modulation sources to multiple destinations. So that modulators can be assigned to other modulation sources, a heirarchy is used, and the sends are split into groups.
- Envelopes – Up to 32 sections can be used, with a variety of contours selectable by clicking on the envelope section you wish to edit.
- LFOs – 13 waveshapes, including a stepped and smooth noise option.
- X-Y pad – Can be assigned using the send section. The rate of movement is also available as a modulation source.
- Arkecode VST Oversampler – Included wrapper that doubles the sample rate of the enclosed plugin. This allows you to improve the timbre of emulations without running all plugins at a higher sample rate.
Friction is available as a VST plug-in for Widows PC. The license is $15 USD (or $10 USD for current customers). A demo version with some parameters removed is available for download.
Visit xoxos for more information.
xoxos has released mass-springs, a collection of two percussion synthesizers for Windows PC.
Mass and Cymbal both use mass-spring models to produce realistic dynamic and timbral effects.
- Impulse – the mass-spring network is induced into oscillation by applying a linear envelope to the first segment, representing a striking force.
- Mass-spring – to generate a number of detunable sine waves in response to impulse signals.
- Boundaries – limiting the mass-spring oscillation simulates the vibrational medium and introduces timbral caustics.
- High pass filter, band peak filter.
- Choke, (controllable with modwheel).
- Trim velocity responsivity of various parameters.
- Cymbal VSTi includes a noise source to accentuate the high frequencies.
- Mass VSTi includes a reverb intended for brief and subtle augmentation of the immediate decay of the massspring.
mass-springs is available for $15 USD. A demo version is available for download (includes a nice manual explaining the mass-spring model implemented in both instruments).
Visit xoxos for more information and mp3 demos.
xoxos has released noise6, a freeware percussion/noise VST instrument for Windows PC.
- waveforms: saw, sine, square, sine*sine.
- frequency of each wavecycle varies between min and max settings, determined by random seed value.
- max slider ranges from 0 (same as minimum) to highest frequency.
- ‘mix’ amplitude modulates osc1 by osc2.
- gain: unity is middle, max is *4.
- squish: soft to hard clipping.
- punch: adds envelopes to audio signals before limiting
You can download noise6 here. A light version (without the limiter) is available here.