Herrmutt Lobby and Yaniv De Ridder have released Beatsurfing, a new app for iPad that allows you to draw a 3-dimensional controller and use it in two different and complementary ways.
You can tap it like you would with your regular MPC or any other beatmaking device, but the best and most innovative use you can make of it is definitely by surfing your fingers along routes, colliding with objects, triggering samples or effects. It’s all about movement, and bringing back this intuitive way to make music.
It can control any MIDI-enabled device (Software, Hardware, or even selected iPad apps through Virtual MIDI), features a very intuitive in-app editing system and integrates seemlessly in any existing Studio or Live setup.
Objects Behaviours can be set to link objects together and multiply the available commands on the surface of the iPad.
Official Teaser for Beatsurfing – The Organic MIDI Controller Builder.
- Draw your own controller – Work with the Controller you need, not the one you were given. Simply draw it on the screen with lines, polygons, circles and faders. Size, color, orientation and 3-Dimensional location are all yours to choose.
- Surf! – Use the full potential of the iPad touchscreen: You can tap on the screen, but you better add the Surfing to your production and performance skills to integrate more of that human feel in your music.
- Link any MIDI device – Dj, VJ, Production softwares, Hardware devices, and even selected iPad apps: you can route BEATSURFING to anything that allows for MIDI.
- Objects Behaviours – Each object of your controller can be set to control the others. It creates a system of objects that allow you to add much more to a controller than what meets the eye.
- Intuitive In-App editing – Forget about separated editing software, lenghty changes and whatnot. You can swap between the EDIT and PLAY modes at the tap of a finger. All your objects even remain playable when they’re be re-arranged!
The app is available to purchase for $11.99 USD / 9.99 EUR.
More information: Beatsurfing