Icebreaker Audio has launched Sanjo Gayageum, a virtual instrument library for Native Instruments Kontakt.
Sanjo Gayageum is a Kontakt 5 instrument designed to re-create the sound of the traditional Korean stringed instrument of the same name.
Sanjo Gayageum features
- Over 1500 samples recorded at 24-bit/48kHz quality.
- A minimum of 3 round robins, and between 6 and 14 velocity layers per note.
- Mixer with 2 microphone sources, and high quality effects.
- Advanced pitch-bend control options.
- 12 custom impulse responses.
Sanjo Gayageum is available for the introductory price of £34 GBP until July 31st, 2014 (25% off regular).
More information: Icebreaker Audio / Sanjo Gayageum
Cinesamples has announced the release of Dulcimer and Zither, a new World Series sample library for Native Instruments Kontakt.
Cinesamples is proud to present our new line of libraries – The WORLD SERIES! The first installment introduces the family of the Dulcimer and Zither, a favored instrument color by composers throughout the ages and around the globe.
Recorded at the famous Firehouse Recording Studios in Los Angeles, and mixed by esteemed engineer Tim Starnes, the Dulcimer and Zither library will add stunning brilliance and color to any scoring palette.
The library is available for purchase for the introductory price of $119 USD for a limited time (regular $149 USD).
More information: Cinesamples / Dulcimer and Zither
Orange Tree Samples has released Angelic Zither, a virtual zither instrument library for Native Instruments Kontakt.
Angelic Zither is a handmade 15-string, pre-80′s zither from the Republic of Belarus (a little west of Russia). The zither’s strings are tuned diatonically in the key of G, but the samples are stretched to cover the instrument’s range chromatically. Although it only spans two octaves (stretched to 4 octaves total), this zither has a gorgeous, magical tone.
We sampled the zither using a close dynamic mic and a pair of small diaphragm condenser mics as a stereo overhead, and you can blend between these two signals to get the tone you’re after. The sample library has 3 dynamics, from soft, delicate notes to loud, resonant plucking, each with 3 alternating round-robin samples. The release samples have three round-robins and three dynamics as well, capturing the slight buzzing sound that the string makes when muted.
Angelic Zither features
- 685 MB 24-bit 44.1khz samples.
- 3 dynamic layers, 3x round-robin.
- Separate close mono mic and stereo far mic positions.
- Duration dependent release samples.
The library is available for the introductory price of $14.95 USD until July 31st, 2014 (regular $24.95 USD).
More information: Orange Tree Samples / Angelic Zither
Cinematique Instruments has announced Concert Zither, a virtual zither instrument for Native Instruments Kontakt.
We treated the Concert Zither very hard. We plucked, stroke and strummed all the strings to get every possible sound, noise and articulation the Zither can make. Finally we assembled 6 different patches. Firstly there are two the main patch with all the 36 strings recorded in 4 round robin variations and several (up to four) dynamic layer. We additionally recorded the 31 accompaniment strings in a muted variation.
All these notes were recorded with two different types of microphones: a large-diaphragm condenser pair as well as a classic dynamic microphone. By turning a corresponding mic balance knob you can infinitely mix between these two different sound properties. Finally – in order to shape the sound – we added a complex script to achieve lots of different variations of the Concert Zither. By moving the mod wheel you can fade between vibrato and non-vibrato notes.
Beside the main complex patches we provide another 4 useful FX patches, separated into textures, strokes & hits (with dynamic layers) and weird noises. Here you find a great assortment of rare and exceptional FX string sounds.
Concert Zither features
- Includes 6 patches:
- Concert Zither Natural.
- Concert Zither Cinematique.
- Cacophony Textures.
- FX (glissandi and noises).
- CZ FX Percussive.
- Cacophony Dead.
- ~2 GB content, over 2,100 samples.
The library is available for purchase for 38 EUR. Requires full version of Kontakt 4.22 or higher.
More information: Cinematique Instruments / Concert Zither
, instrument plugins
, samples and sound libraries
, Versilian Studios
Posted in news
on Apr 08, 2014 - 0 comments
Versilian Studios has announced the release of Timpani, VS Upright No. 1 and VS Chamber Orchestra, three new virtual instruments.
Kontakt version of Versilian Studio’s Timpani virtual instrument.
New Versilian Studios instruments
- Timpani: Extensively sampled Timpani (Wholetone sampling; 4-6x RR, 5 Velocity Layers, stereo). Available for Kontakt and also as a VSTi/AU. Price $15 USD.
- VS Upright No. 1: Medium-sized sampled upright piano ideal for sketches (3 velocity layers, 2x RR, sampled in tritones to reduce size). Available as a VSTi/AU. Free or donation.
- VS Chamber Orchestra: Very light selection of orchestral and wind ensemble instruments ideal for beginner composers (featuring concert flute, clarinet, bassoon, F horn, trumpet, tenor bone, bass bone, tubular bells, xylophone, glockenspiel, timpani, large percussion section, harp, piano, solo violin, and violin section, all using accurate ranges). Free or donation.
Versilian Studios has also ported a number of its previously released products to the Kontakt format.
- Dan Tranh: Vietnamese pentatonic zither that uses metal strings.
- Tubular Bells: Suspended chimes used to emulate church bells in orchestral music.
- Glockenspiel: Deep-sampled chime-like mallet instrument.
- Handchimes: Strange cross between a hand-bell and a tuning fork.
More information: Versilian Studios
Versilian Studios launched Dan Tranh, an extensively sampled virtual Dan Tranh instrument plug-in for Windows and Mac.
The Dan Tranh is a traditional zither originating from Vietnam. It is considerably longer than its European and American cousins, and is also tuned as a pentatonic instrument. 16-17 metal strings run the length of the instrument with bridges halfway for each string.
In traditional performance on this instrument, one hand plucks the strings on one side of these bridges using plectrums (finger-picks) and the other hand bends the pitches of the notes as desired on the other side of the bridges. This allows an incredibly dynamic and unique performance which is very hard to sample and replicate.
Dan Tranh features
- c. 3 octaves of pentatonic (B) and chromatic range, including 4 velocity layers and at least 2xRR on each note.
- “Pentatonic Assist” – If you press a key not in the pentatonic scale when a pentatonic patch is loaded, it will play the closest previous note meaning you can use all white keys if you desire.
- Muted Plucks (2 Vel. Layers, 2xRR).
- Sampled RR Tremolo and Vibrato.
- Full Glissandi (4 speed, 3 VL, 2xRR).
- Complete Product Manual.
The plug-in is available for Windows and Mac (VST/AU), priced at $25 USD. A free Lite version (normal and muted only) can be downloaded from the product page.
More information: Versilian Studios / Dan Tranh
Versilian Studios has released Fretless Zither, a free virtual instrument plug-in.
The fretless zither is a simple “parlor instrument” consisting of a sound box with strings going across the top and a soundhole in the middle. To the left is generally a section of “chord” strings, which, when a set of these is strummed with the finger, will play a certain chord. To the right is a chormatic scale, generally two octaves, which consist of the “melody” half.
A friend showed me this one while I was visiting and I was instantly enthralled by the instrument despite its poor shape and complete lack of tuning. I spent a day tuning it and afterwards ended up recording some samples of the notes in a semi-studio setup. I compiled the samples I made into this basic fretless zither virtual instrument, using the Maize Sampler software.
The Fretless Zither is available to download for Windows (VST).
More information: Versilian Studios / Fretless Zither