Bolder Sounds has released Bavarian Zither, a sampled zither instrument for Kontakt 2 & 3 and EXS24.
My original intention in sampling this instrument was to capture its beautiful harp-like quality and create all sorts of unusual layers and keyboard mappings. However, I realized afterwards it would be expected to have some programming that reflects the way a Zither is traditionally played, so I have attempted to offer both.
Bavarian Zither features
- 608 MB library, 24 bit stereo samples (no loops) for Kontakt 2 & 3 as well as the Apple EXS24.
- Fingerboard articulations sampled: flesh plucked, metal finger pick, open strings, harmonics.
- Accompaniment String articulations sampled: flesh pluck at strings center, flesh pluck at strings bridge, metal finger pick, harmonics.
- Samples are split in 3 folders:
- Zither Traditional – instruments with the accompaniment strings on the lower part of the keyboard map and the fingerboard samples in the upper keyboard map. There is a gap in the keyboard mapping to distinguish the accompaniment strings and the fingerboard strings. The release times on the AMP envelopes tend to be quite a bit shorter than the release times on instruments in the ‘Harplike folder’.
- Zither Harplike – a more creative approach to sound design, featuring the various layers and splits of the articulations that were sampled. The modulation wheel is frequently used as a mixing control between layers. Most of the instruments presented here would be impossible to create on a Zither in real time.
- Zither Components – contains all the separate sampled parts of the Zither, assembled to enable the user to easily piece together whichever sampled parts of the Zither they choose to use.
Bavarian Zither is available for the introductory price of $34.95 USD until June 1, 2009 (regular price $49.95 USD).
A free demo version is availalbe for download here.
This version is 1 instrument titled Zither FREE flesh.nki (or .exs). This instrument combines samples from the accompaniment strings as well as the fingerboard fretted strings, with flesh of the finger plucked articulation.
Visit Bolder Sounds for more information and audio demos.
Wavelore Instruments has released version 2.0 of American Zither, a unique and exotic sounding virtual instrument.
Changes in American Zither v2.0
- Fixed a problem with CC triggered tremolos not activating when the note is struck while the controller’s value is zero. Now tremolos can be activated anytime.
- Implemented portamento, detailed tremolo, panning controls, convolution options, expression, octave coupling and keyswitching of features.
- Now compatible with Kontakt 3.5 public beta.
IMPORTANT: This update contains both K2 and K3 versions of the American Zither, in both 16 and 24 bits. The bit depth you use will be determined by that of the samples you already have. The K2 version will run in versions of K3 older than v.3.5, but if you are running version 3.5 or later, you’ll want to use the included K3 version of the American Zither to avoid a problem with the instrument not sounding.
Visit Wavelore Instruments for more information.
Myst Sonic has released Chinese Zither-GuZheng, a sample library for Kontakt featuring a high quality wooden-type class Chinese Zither-GuZheng instrument.
Chinese Zither-GuZheng is an ancient Chinese plucking style instrument used since more than 2500 years ago. It is different from the Japanese Koto in that it has more strings and sound range, and has a larger wooden body. Because of its classic wooden harmonic structure, its sound is similar to a harp, but has even more lucidity and clarity.
Chinese Zither-GuZheng features
- 24Bit 48HZ hight class type GuZheng recording with sample size fully optimised to save system resource while maintaining studio quality performance.
- Multi body part and velocity layer sample take include bridge tone, body tone, and sound hole tones.
- Just uni patch for multiple function control availably.
- Assignable controller for realtime keymap switch between bridge tone and body tone.
- Simulate Chinese Zither tremolo plucking technique trigger by midi keyboard.
- Tremolo expression control by mod wheel.
- Additional assignable controller for tremolo expression control.
- Pick direction change control. ( when mod wheel value > 0, forward -> backward -> forward -> backward…..)
- Each notes pitch changes independently under Virtual Bending Pitch Wheel System filter structure.
Chinese Zither-GuZheng is available for purchase now for 49 EUR.
Visit Myst Sonic for more information and audio demos.
Wavelore Instruments has released version 1.1 of Pedal Steel Guitar, and version 1.2 of American Zither, two virtual instruments powered by the GVI engine.
The update for Pedal Steel Guitar (Full & Lite Editions) adds the free Wavelore Brush Kit —played with wire brushes — to the WLPS / WLPSLE soundset.
DEF dynamics and round-robin samples give the kit a great playability. Complete with kick, snare (including stirs) 2 toms, splash, crash, ride, and hi-hats in 5 gradations between open and closed, plus hi-hat pedal.
Wavelore American Zither is updated with Wavelore Slide Whistle, Hand Drums, and new free shaker instruments (shakerx2, rattle and cabasa) to the WLAZ soundset. The update also addresses the issue of running the patch installer on XP systems with Service Pack 3.
Visit Wavelore Instruments for more information.
Soniccouture has released Guzheng, a sampled Guzheng (Chinese zither) instrument for Kontakt, EXS24 and Ableton Live.
The SC Guzheng has been extensively recorded in 24 bit 44.1khz stereo. Three articulations were sampled: right hand (finger picks), left hand (flesh), and harmonics (finger picks). Up to ten velocity levels, three round robin alternations for the right hand, and two round robin alternations for the left hand. This ensures natural attack transients with no ‘machine-gun’ repetition.
Across all 21 strings this amounts to 1027 samples totaling just over 2 gigabytes. We provide a method to play the Guzheng in it’s original tuning, or in chromatic tuning, for each format.
SC Guzheng features
- 2.25 GB Sampled Instrument.
- 24 bit Stereo 44.1 Recording.
- KSP ‘Last Note Standing’ PitchBend Processor.
- KSP Glissando and Tremolo Processors.
- Right ( Picked ) and Left Hand ( Finger) + Harmonics Sampling.
- 3 Round Robin Layers + Up to 10 Velocity layers per note.
- Kontakt 2 / 3, Logic EXS24 or Ableton Live 7 Required.
SC Guzheng is available now for download for £49 GBP (disc version for £52 GBP).
Visit Soniccouture for more information and audio demos.
Kong Audio has released version 1.5 of ChineeGuzheng, a sampled Chinese zither instrument plug-in for Windows PC.
Changes in ChineeGuzheng v1.5
- Vastly revamped sound bank.
- Various tweaks to the parameters.
- Tremolo and Length expressions enhanced.
ChineeGuzheng is available for $60 USD.
Visit Kong Audio for more information and audio demos.
, samples and sound libraries
Posted in news
on Jan 23, 2008 - 1 comment
PowerFX has released World Loop Spice Rack, a sample library containing 1,220 melodic and percussive loops and riffs of authentic ethnic instruments from Africa, Australia, China, India and the Middle East.
World Loop Spice Rack features
- Arabic Percussion: Bendir, Bolone, Darbouka, Karkabou, Rai Percussion ensemble, Tabakai, Takhalt, Zalamit, Frame drum, Dumbek.
- Indian Percussion: Tabla, Dholak, Bass Dholak, Ganjira, Udu, Mridangram.
- African Percussion: Djembe, Talking Drum, Log drum, Crash box.
- Australasian Percussion: Clap Sticks, Monkey drum, Knee drum.
- World drumset: From West Africa and the Caribbean.
- African Instruments: Marimba, Mbira, Eygptian Lute, Vocals.
- Middle Eastern: Kamenche, Rabab, Setar, Tar, Jimbash Saz, Riq.
- Chinese Instruments: Pipa, Di Zi, Jing Ho (One String Peking Opera Violin), Gu Zheng (Chinese zither), Rehu (string violin).
- Indian Instruments: Sarod, Sitar, Surbahar, Pungi, Vocals.
- Also included: Digeridoo, Charango, Berimbau, Bouzuki.
- All loops are acidized wav files in 16 bit 44.1 with tempo and key (when applicable) information in the file name.
- Size: Download 598 MB (.RAR) uncompressed 890 MB.
World Loop Spice Rack is available for $79 USD.
Visit PowerFX for more information and audio demos.
Btw, I don’t know what the guys at PowerFX were thinking when they came up with that cover… Ah, see Bil’s comment below. The old cover is no more. Nice job guys!