Ugo Audio updates Rez to v3 and releases Clockwork, Foundation, and Aurora soundsets
Ugo Audio has announced the release of Rez v3, a free synthesizer instrument plug-in for Windows.
The popular freeware monosynth, Rez (Win VST), has received a major update. It’s more powerful, more flexible, and now comes with two GUIs.
Going well beyond what you might expect from a little monosynth, Rez is capable of a huge range of sounds – from funky squishes, beastly basses, and screaming leads, to tight arpeggiations, swirling rhythms, atmospheres, bells, and interesting effects.
Changes in Rez v3
- Updated tone – can be brighter and more aggressive than before, and capable of sounds earlier versions couldn’t do.
- 16 step programmable arpeggiator with dedicated arp sequencers for gate length, cutoff, portamento, and phaser frequency.
- More arpeggiator playback options.
- Cutoff offset control – reduces the cutoff of one of the internal filters relative to the other to provide chewier, more vocal sounds when at high resonance.
- More aggressive distortion with three tone modes.
- Lo-Fi mode simultaneously adjusts the bit-rate and downsampling of chained bit-crusher modules.
- Age control – think increasingly unstable/noisy/broken oscillators, rather than the subtle drift of an old analog.
- Phase reset – when activated, the phase will snap back into alignment when the age and detune sliders both hit zero.
- Improved/expanded oscillator phase modulation options – in addition to the previous phase offset options, you can now also adjust the amount that the output of the main oscillator can modulate the phase of the sub-oscillator.
- Sub-oscillator octave adjustment.
- Delays now go up to 1/128.
- Delay modulation.
- Aftertouch modulation of both oscillator phase functions.
- Velocity support for the amp envelope.
- Pitch bend range adjustment.
- MIDI learn.
- Easier to see/use GUI (with two variations: yellow and black).
- 24 demo presets from Clockwork, Foundation, and Aurora.
Additionally, Ugo has released three preset banks for Rez 3: Clockwork, Foundation, and Aurora. Each bank of 128 presets (FXB format) is focused on particular sound types, ranging from arpeggiated sounds, to basses, leads, pads, percussion, and effects.
- Clockwork – Making full use of Rez 3’s arp sequencer, Clockwork is a well-rounded rhythmic collection that includes 96 arpeggiated melodic presets and 32 percussive groove presets.
- Foundation – 64 basses that range from analog classics to brutal hammers, and 64 leads that run the gamut of electronica – from anthem inducing hook creators and quirky synthetics, to raw industrial power.
- Aurora – Meeting at a crossroads of digital and virtual analog, Aurora delivers 75 pads, 26 percussive sounds, and 27 effects.
Rez for Windows (VST) is available as a free download. Clockwork, Foundation, and Aurora are $10 USD each, or can be purchased as a bundle for $25 USD.