Note: this post is from 2008, outbound links may be broken.
Vir2 Instruments announces BASiS and Elite Orchestral Percussion
Featuring a comprehensively sampled collection of electric, upright, fretless, and synth basses, BASiS offers incredible attention to detail in the depth and breadth of the basses: 24-bit sampling, DI and amp blending control, multiple velocity layers, seamless humanizing, custom legato and vibrato tools, release layers, harmonics, hammer-ons, pulloffs, slides, slaps, rakes, falls, and more.
- Amp/Di Control – Each electric bass includes an Amp/DI balance knob, allowing full blending control between phase-accurate samples of the direct bass signal and an amp’ed recording of the same take.
- Realism Engines – A number of custom engines are designed to contribute to the realism of the sound.
- Modes And Articulations – An onscreen display gives real-time information on the currently selected articulations, playing mode (polyphonic, monophonic, and legato), and release layers. Varying articulations were recorded for each bass, including long notes, harmonics, mutes, slides, slaps, pulloffs, falls, releases, noises, and more.
- Character Vibrato – Full vibrato control, painstakingly modeled after vibrato made by real bass players, is available, including seven different characters of vibrato.
- Dynamic Response – An adjustable velocity curve allows for fine-tuning of the dynamic response of the basses.
- Effects – A full suite of effects is included in BASiS, including a custom-written Octaver, and full EQ controls.
- Remote Control – Every parameter in the onscreen BASiS engine (including its subpages) can be controlled remotely via MIDI continuous controllers (CC’s), and can be adjusted in real time.
BASiS is compatible with Mac and Windows platforms (Kontakt Player 2/AU/VST/RTAS/DXi) and can be pre-ordered for $299.95 USD.
Elite Orchestral Percussion
Elite Orchestral Percussion is a premium 19GB library filled with an unparalleled variety of both traditional and unusual orchestral percussion.
The collection features over 250 distinct orchestral percussion instruments across the full span of categories: bass drums, snare drums, cymbals of every type, chimes, gongs, handbells, mallets, tambourines, timpani, triangles, wind chimes, wood blocks, accessories, FX, and ethnic and world instruments.
Elite Orchestral Percussion features
- Humanize – An integrated Humanize engine offers a breakthrough dimension in realism. The scripting engine underneath Elite Orchestral Percussion will intelligently vary the pitch, timing, and volume of each hit by minuscule amounts to increase the diversity of timbre produced. Each aspect of the Humanize engine, from extreme effects to complete bypassing, can be controlled by the user.
- EZRoom – An integrated convolution reverb option, allowing the user to instantly place the percussion instruments in one of more than fifty different custom sonic spaces; everything from chapels and halls to caverns, small rooms, and unique esoteric spaces is included.
- Articulations – Built-in custom articulations include choke, flam, 3-stroke roll (16th notes), 3-stroke roll (32nd notes), 3-stroke roll (64th notes), roll (32nd notes), and roll (64th notes). Each of these are tempo-synced as appropriate, and can be customized in detail.
- Triggers – Creation of rhythmic patterns which are triggered by the engine. Up to 25 user patterns can be programmed in each instrument, and some prebuilt patterns are included in each instrument by default.
Elite Orchestral Percussion is compatible with Mac and Windows platforms (Kontakt Player 2/AU/VST/RTAS/DXi) and can be pre-ordered for $399.95 USD.
Visit Vir2 Instruments for more information and audio demos.