Acousticsamples has announced the release of the B-5 Organ, an organ instrument for UVI Workstation that is sample-based and uses synthesis techniques.
The Hammond organs are very complex beasts, full of wires. Until now, the best renditions were synthesis, mainly because of how the organ works which is a set of 91 frequencies that are connected via contactors under each key and which volume is controlled by the drawbars.
Sample based libraries consists of stacking drawbar samples at the same time which works, but causes a big problems.
We have found a way to use the 91 frequencies synthesis approach, but using real samples, so we get the best of both worlds, the real recorded organ tone plus the real behavior and we keep access to the versatility of the drawbar controls and the tweakability of synthesis.
B-5 Organ features
- Sample based synthesis: We sampled each of the 91 tones and then measured and meticulously reproduced everything, the key contacts, the resistance wires, the foldback, the drawbars, the swell pedal, the percussion, and every button available on the original machine.
- Rotary Speaker Simulation: An organ without its rotary speaker isn’t an organ. We provided UVI with very detailed measurements and they created an incredible physical model.
- Advanced percussion system: We recreated the whole percussion system and you can customize every aspect of it.
- Real key contact modeling: 9 contacts are made one after another under each key and each of them produce a small click, making this the only influence of the velocity and resulting in a different click sound each time you press your key.
- All three keyboards: On a real organ, there are 3 keyboards, two of which are almost identical except for the percussion system, and the bass pedals. You can choose to use 3 different MIDI channels, one for each keyboard or you can use the split to have all three one one keyboard.
- Presets: There are around 200 drawbar presets that you can load, save, delete or assign to the preset keys (upper and lower), and these include the most used Jazz, Gospel and classical presets.
- Organ modifications: Every organ player likes to tweak his instrument, so every modification that organists can do is available here.
The B-5 Organ is available for purchase for 99 EUR. Requires UVI Workstation 2 version 2.6.5 or later.