Adam Szabo has released Viper, a synthesizer instrument that aims to deliver the sound characteristics of legendary hardware synthesizers in a virtual format.
The synth offers a vast array of features, including multiple oscillator types with user waveforms, Sync, Frequency Modulation, Ring Modulation, unison up to 8 voices, filter saturation, filter routings, mod matrix, high quality effects, a powerful arpeggiator, and much more.
A lot of time and research has been invested to make the sound engine of Viper capable of delivering a wide array of sounds, everything from smooth, lush pads, huge basses, and powerful leads, typically associated with traditional analog synthesizers. This was achieved with careful coding, experimenting, analysing hardware synths, and using the ear to fine tune the controls. A constant randomization is also active in the synth to slightly alter its sound to mimic electronic components.
The engine is written in optimised code to use as little CPU consumption as possible, while maintaining a high quality sound engine, finding a good balance between the two. The synth automatically turns off any parts that are not used to further reduce CPU usage. Viper also has a smoothing algorithm for its controls to remove the ‘steppyness’ when it goes between values to give that extra polished sound.
- Classic Oscillators with user waveforms.
- Multisaw (up to 9x Sawtooth waveform).
- Sub Oscillator.
- Noise with coloring.
- Osc Sync, FM, RM.
- Unison up to 8 voices.
- 2 Zero Delay Feedback filters with Low Pass, High Pass, Band Pass, Band Reject (notch).
- Filter Saturation curves.
- 4 Filter routings: Serial 4, Serial 6, Parallel, Split.
- 4 Envelopes: Filter Env, Amp Env, Mod 3 and Mod 4.
- 3 LFOs with Oscillator shape morphing.
- Mod Matrix.
- FX: Character (analog boost), Distortion, Filter effects: Ring Modulator, Frequency Shifter, Vowel Filter, Comb Filter, Phaser, Chorus, Delay, Reverb, Equalizer.
- Arpeggiator with user patterns.
- Built in Preset browser.
- Section locking.
- Midi learn.
Viper is available for Windows (32-bit VST), priced at 89 EUR. Support for 64-bit is planned.