Omer Yosha of Kesem Design has released the Airpiano, an innovative MIDI and OSC controller that allows the user to trigger invisible keys and faders in midair.
The airpiano is the first musical interface to introduce an intuitive and simple touch-free interaction. Many touch-free interfaces require users to stare at a display. The user’s hand gestures in 3D space then control elements on the screen. However, musicians and performers need to be able to play their instruments in a more free and intuitive way. The airpiano’s keys and faders are therefore not on the screen, but exactly there above the airpiano surface. The performer knows the position of each controller in the air, so no display is needed. Just like with a multitouch interface, the user triggers a virtual button exactly where it is, and the interaction becomes much more natural.
- Built from beautiful walnut wood, dark red acrylic glass and RoHS compliant components.
- 8 infrared proximity sensors create up to 24 virtual keys and 8 virtual faders.
- 40 LEDs provide easy orientation and visual feedback.
- 1 momentary button allows switching between presets directly from the device.
- ¼” connector for using an expression pedal or a foot switch.
- Power 9Vdc.
- USB 2.0.
- Dimensions: 960 x 160 x 26 mm ; Weight: 2.8 kg.
- Custom airpiano software for PC and Mac, which can send MIDI and Open Sound Control (OSC) messages to other software or hardware:
- Create and save arrangement presets
- Assign keys and faders with MIDI messages (OSC messages are sent automatically)
- Assign keys with preset-load messages (allows loading presets directly from the device)
- Set momentary button functionality
- Set pedal / foot switch functionality (MIDI CC , Global Velocity or Preset Loader)
A limited number of Airpiano devices is now shipping for a reduced price of 1,099 EUR (EU) / 1,149 EUR (international). Prices include shipping.