Aly James Lab has released version 2.0 of the VSDSX, a virtual analog drum synth based on the Simmons SDSV.
The update comes with native 64-bit support and Mac AU plugin format, as well as a dedicated Clap Trap plugin.
The VSDSX VST, which stands for Virtual Simmons Drum System Extended, provides the closest experience to the real thing, for each voice or as it was called (module) it models accurately the analog character of the sound generation, internal circuitry tuning, trigger sensitivity and all the details you can find inside the dedicated manual. for its hybrid voices (HIHAT, CYMBAL, PROM & CLAP are analog but also EPROM based) clocks and counters that read EPROM memory inside a variable sample rate system is perfectly emulated. DAC decodes and output EPROMS data in real-time etc.
It models the SSM2044 filters with fine tuning control over lots of internal circuitry resistors. CV, trigger shapes, and VCA response can also be tuned to produce a wide range of sounds and punch/response, this also emulates how the module will react if triggered with pads or sequencer…
Separate outputs for your DAW, velocity handling etc…You will obtain that legendary powerful analog punch! On top of the cake, one voice can load your own external EPROM image data like on a real SDS1 (EPROM based) pad…This opens up onto a whole new range of sound, still being processed by the circuitry.
Changes in VSDSX v2.0
- Cross Platform capability (Windows VST2/VST3 and Mac AU).
- 64-bit build using latest OS and IDE (Windows 10 VisualStudio and Mac Mojave Xcode).
- Updated GUI (graphic Interface).
- Refined HIHAT and CYMBAL modules (more detailed sound process, better envelopes, more accurate sound source and features).
- PROM voice now supports any EPROM image size without the need to specify it beforehand, it can also decode U255 companded & Linear PCM formats.
- VSDSX now have MIDI Mapping capability, you can create a custom map to assign sounds to any MIDI notes you want (2 per voice) and save the config globally.
- New additional CLAP voice closely based on the iconic Simmons Digital ClapTrap from 1982 with additional controls and modulation capabilities, also provided is an entire dedicated Claptrap plugin with stereo widening capability using two emulated voices running with EPROM clock and filter offsets.
- Additional modulation source VEL 2 MOD which use velocity to adjust the LFO modulation amount(per voice).
- Global option to turn on “OSC Custom” changing all analog oscillators that use the typical analog SDSV shape to use a Sine shape.
- Refined sound engine on many levels and tons of bug fixes.
The VSDSX plugins is available for purchase for 45 EUR. Owners of VSDSX version 1.0 can upgrade for 30 EUR.
More information: Aly James Lab