Arturia has announced firmware version 1.3 of Origin, a hardware DSP system that houses several synthesizers in one machine.
Loaded with modules extracted from the best synthesizers of all time, Origin lets you combine these modules and take advantage of the additional possibilities put onboard. The result: a new type of sound accessible through an extremely intuitive interface.
Changes in Origin v1.3
- Jupiter 8 template: The Origin 1.3 firmware embeds the new Jupiter 8 template which recreates the unique voice architecture and design of this legendary analog synthesizer.
- New play modes:
- POLY_UNISON: emulates the Jupiter8 “UNISON” mode, that shares up to 8 voices between the currently active notes. (Currently not available for MULTI presets.)
- UNISON parameter for MONO programs: allows the user to set the number of voices that will play simultaneously for the MONO program. UNISON “polyphony” can be set to a value between 2 and 8 in SINGLE mode, and is limited to 2 in MULTI mode.
- Sequencer switch automation: Actions on the Sequencer “LOOP” and “PATTERNS” switches can be recorded as MIDI CONTROL CHANGE messages and replayed.
- Compressor module: The Origin sounds can now be processed through a brand new compressor FX module. The compressor allows adding dynamics to the sound, from smooth attacks to huge pumping effects.
- Sample & Hold module: Derived from the ARP S&H. Takes any modulation (LFO, Env…) signal at its inputs and provides a sample and hold modulation signal at its outputs.
- User Interface enhancements:
- In a number of dialogs possibility to navigate between the controls and change their value without pre-selecting them.
- Possibility to select the slot preset to load using the keypad + the edit switch. Previously it was necessary to use the browser to load a slot preset.
- A new layout of the dialog makes configuration of the “live” macros easier.
- The user can now define a set of favorite presets and navigate thru them with the Preset Browser or with the +/- keys.
- A clear feedback – using speaker icons – of the mute state of a Voice output on the FxMixer page, of the slot output on the Multi page and on the program icon in the preset bar.
- Possibility to set 2 or more MULTI slots in the hold state in a single action by keeping their “Edit” switches pressed when “Hold” is set ON (or OFF).
- Portamento glide time: Adding of a second way to manage the portamento glide time: the user can now choose between a constant time for the whole glide, or a constant time per semitone.
- Switch pedal: It is now possible to configure the switch pedal action in the “Performance” page.
The Origin Firmware 1.3 will be available December 1, 2010, as a free update for all Origin customers, and comes embedded in the new Origin Keyboards and Origin Desktops.