apulSoft has announced the release of a new psychoacoustic audio plugin. apUnmask detects the parts of your audio that are normally masked by louder features.
It works like the detection stage of an mp3/mp4 encoder, but the results are applied in reverse. Instead of removing those “inaudible” signal components to compress data, apUnmask boosts them to create hyperrealistic audio, helping human ears to hear otherwise hidden details.
apUnmask uses parts of the detector algorithm of the opus high-quality audio compression codec. Signal components that would get removed by compression are extracted. These can normally not be heard as they are masked by louder components in time and frequency. apUnmask enables amplifying and sculpting the masked content and adding it to the music.
To shape the frequencies of the extracted signal, it is fed through a linear phase graphical equalizer. It features a bezier curve smoothed frequency response without overshoot.
The result is a form of hyperrealistic audio. The process helps the listener to hear more aspects of the music at the same time. apUnmask can be used as a mastering effect or as an intelligent exciter for single instruments.
- Use to power of audio compression algorithms to uncover unheard parts of your music.
- Linear phase delta signal equalization with graphical editing of the frequency response.
- Listen to the audio that compression would remove using the delta listen button.
- 3128 samples latency (44.1kHz)
- Unlimited undo/redo for all actions.
- Plugin formats: AudioUnits/AAX/VST/VST3 for 32-bit and 64-bit hosts on Mac OS X and Windows.
- Built-in system-wide preset management with import and export of preset files, compatible across platforms and hosts using a human-readable xml file format.
- Bright & dark color schemes and support for user defined color schemes.
apUnmask is available for $39 USD.
More information: apulSoft