J74 has announced a new Max for Live sequencing and modulation device.
StepLocker is based on the concept of parameter locking, whereby parameter settings can be associated (locked) to sequencer steps.[/caption]
Besides the concept of it, one of the things I really tried to get right on this is the workflow. So in StepLocker parameter locking is very simple: Choose one or more steps in the sequencer, select a parameter in Ableton Live, set its value and lock it. You can do this for any parameter, in any device, in any track of Live.
On top of this I equipped StepLocker with classic step sequencer features, such as playback manipulation (step numbers, random step order, step lenght), value interpolation, value randomization and (post-locking) editing (such as copy, paste, erase).
- Up to 64 steps modulator with parameter locks for any parameter, in any device, in any track of Ableton Live.
- Intuitive user interface based on simple actions: just click, set, lock and sequence. No routing or long menu’s involved.
- Different modulation styles (Impulse/Hold, Gliding).
- Real time sequencing controls: free step number count, step duration, random playback order.
- Post-locking editing features: free editing of every recorded lock, randomization, shift values up/down, mute values, copy and paste sections.
- Possibility of recording the modulation as Session clip automation or Arrangement automation.
- Device state saved with the Ableton Live project.
The StepLocker device is available for $12 USD. Requires Live 9 or higher and Max 6.1 or higher.