Jon V Audio has released an update to Fircomp 2, a compressor/limiter effect plugin featuring punchy attack, musical release, and optional lookahead smoothing.
Fircomp 2 is unique in that it uses a different and very “digital” way to detect peaks, which lowers amplitude modulation distortion without latency or oversampling, even when using fast/zero attack times or doing very heavy compression.
Version 2.0.7 comes with more efficient GUI drawing, especially if a background image used in the theme. A new config file option has been added to specify redraw rate in hz. The update also adds coupled peak mode, while a VCA mode was previously added in version 2.0.6.
Fircomp 2 features
- Fast or same-sample attack times that never sound “clicky”, even in zero latency mode.
- Even cleaner than Fircomp 1. Both can be used side-by-side.
- Innovative digital envelope detection allows for much lower distortion than typical peak compressors, without overshoot or lag.
- Optional lookahead FIR gain smoothing for an even cleaner sound.
- Shape-able release stage with musical, highly history-dependent behavior. Avoids use of multiple compressors in series.
- Sidechain hipass filter and external sidechain ability.
- Easy stereo options with stereo link and balance.
- Mid / side processing mode.
- Perceived loudness metering, with easy makeup gain and balance snapping.
- Switchable vertical or horizontal gain reduction metering, with adjustable range.
- Quick loading of presets, bucket comparison system.
- Make it yours, with a resizable GUI, customizable colors and background image.
- Low CPU, fully 64-bit DSP code, making full use of SSE instructions.
- Zero latency with lookahead off. With lookahead on, compensated latency of 1.5ms.
- No phase shift or change in frequency response of the audio signal.
Priced £23 GBP, Fircomp 2 is available for Windows and Mac in VST3 and AU plugin formats, with Linux support coming soon. A free demo is available to download.
Also available to download is the free Fircomp, the first version of the compressor. It isn’t as flexible as Fircomp 2, but shares many of the features of its bigger brother.