Performance Samples has announced the release of its new Kontakt instrument featuring solo strings recorded in motion, featuring expressive pitch-memory legato.
Solos of the Sea – Solo Violin B explores a fairly specific sound: a loud, ff-esque dynamic with heavily slurred legatos.
You can trigger even more dramatic portamento legatos by playing hard velocities on certain idiomatic intervals. In addition, this release also has same-note bow-change repetition samples which can be triggered by repeating notes with the sustain pedal pressed down.
The library continues along the lines of the unfolding Con Moto series with ‘active-bow’ sustains and legatos recorded con moto (with motion). The latter is here expanded upon with a ‘pitch-memory’ adaptation, which helps minimize a musician’s susceptibility to timbral variation between sustain and shorter legato assets.
Solos of the Sea – Solo Violin B features
- Solo violinist.
- One dynamic layer (in the territory of ff).
- Slurred pitch-memory legato, recorded con moto (with movement in the bowing and vibrato).
- Dramatic portamento legato, triggered by playing velocity 100-127 on upwards-intervals of P4-P8.
- Same-note bow-change repetitions, triggered by repeating notes with the sustain pedal pressed down.
- “Active-bow” sustains (non-static longs that move and evolve while simultaneously maintaining the dynamic/timbre).
- Short, responsive release samples.
- One mic position – recorded at a moderately close distance in a hall with a stereo pair.
- 48kHz / 24bit.
- NCW-compressed, ~517.2 MB total.
The instrument library for Kontakt 5.8.1 or higher (full version) is on sale for $39 USD through September 20th, 2020 (regular $89 USD).
More information: Performance Samples