Platinumears has released version 2 of FL4TT3RY, a freeware bus compressor effect plug-in for Windows.
This is a gentle squashy compressor intended for use on busses, though it also works well on channels. It has a very soft knee, with a ratio that gradually increases to hard limiting, and a choice between RMS based level detection (with a window size that depends on the attack time) or a brand new peak sensing algorithm.
This unit is inspired by a particular bit of hardware that I know quite well. Its not “modelled” however: I came up with the algorithm first, thought it sounded similar, so then skinned the plug to resemble the hardware. It is definitely not a proper model, so I’m not going to name the unit in question.
Changes in FL4TT3RY 2
- Slightly gentler transfer curve brings it (subjectively) closer to the hardware that inspired it.
- Tweaked attack smoothing to make it a little more aggressive with the fastest settings.
- Tweaked release smoothing to make it pump less with the fastest settings.
- New peak sensing mode.
- External sidechain inputs.
- Left click the meter to toggle the range between 6, 12 or 18dB.
- Right click the meter to switch between Gain Reduction metering, or Gain change metering (which includes make-up gain).
FL4TT3RY 2 for Windows (VST) is available to download at no cost. Donations are appreciated.
Visit Platinumears for more information.