Plugin Alliance has welcomed German microphone legend Schoeps to its shop with the release of Mono Upmix, a plugin that can generate stereo and even LCR channels from any mono signal.
The plugin can be used on voices in post production, synth in music production, as well as bass, guitars, drum room mics, vocals, etc.
It adaptively extracts the diffuse sound in the mono input signal to create an upmix signal. As the diffuse sound should always be reproduced decorrelated on different stereo channels, the up-mixed signal sounds more natural than the original mono track.
The Mono Upmix is often superior to a reverb as it doesn’t add reverb but uses the present diffuse sound.
Furthermore, it’s possible to control the perceived source distance and panning position by generating early reflections.
The Mono Upmix plugin performs great with mono location sound dialogue as well as spot microphones in a music recording.
Mono Upmix is on sale for the intro price of $99 USD until November 30th (regular $149 USD). Owners of the Brainworx bx_stereomaker plugin can get Mono Upmix for $49 USD from their Plugin Alliance user account.
Also available is Double MS, a free plugin that allows decoding of double M/S microphone setups in post production.
While the plugin is calibrated for the Schoeps Double M/S microphone, it will also work with any other double M/S (recorded with a 3-microphone) setup.
The SCHOEPS “Double MS Tool” plugin decodes the three signals of the Double MS system. It creates a 5.0 Surround signal on the basis of three microphone signals.
The plugin enables customized, intuitive decoding on a realtime WYSIWYG basis. With the plugin the spatial and timbral fidelity of the resulting 5.0 Surround signal can be optimally achieved.
Schoeps Double MS features
- Easy decoding of the Double MS microphone signals to Stereo or Surround.
- Intuitive, realtime WYSIWYG control of the virtual microphone parameters including polar pattern, offset angle, rotation and gain.
- Realtime display of the virtual microphone patterns in a coloured polar plot window.
- Increase or decrease the gain of the diffuse sound which is extracted from the signals by an a adaptive algorithm.
- Enhance spatial impression by increasing the amount of decorrelation of the extracted diffuse sound Improve the front/back localization by a high cut filter and a delay on the rear outputs.
Furthermore, Plugin Alliance has released a version 4.7 update for its plugins, offering Mojave support as well as many fixes.
More information: Plugin Alliance